IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

49 minutes ago, Quest said:

Well that's me sorted for something to watch this evening. Thanks @neoELITE

It's great. All band members, past and present are there too. 

Anthrax are so underrated. They're one of those instantly recognisable bands with a unique sound. They've never been trend setters, never been the headline act but they have a body of work as important as anyone in the genre. 

Enjoy it, I absolutely did. 

3 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

I like them as people but never really got on with their brand of thrash. 

I think defining them as thrash is a bit unfair. They're also hardcore through and through. They've done so many b-sides that you might not have heard.

When John Bush left, I was annoyed. Joey is so 80s and their best stuff was done with John Bush.

The YouTube series is excellent. They've been pretty open about all of the band drama that went on, including Joey's firing from the band after Persistence of Time. It's going to be extremely interesting when they get to the 2005-2010 period with the reunion tour, Bush quitting, Joey leaving again, that other vocalist who apparently recorded all his vocals for Worship Music before getting kicked out and then Joey returning.

But yeah, it's been really really good viewing. I have a Whatsapp group with three other UK metalheads and Anthrax has been dominating the conversation these past couple of months, to the utter disgust of one guy who isn't all that much of a fan. The series also made me go back and give Fistful of Metal another go (not bad, but not a patch on what the band would become) as well as re-evaluating State of Euphoria (it's no Among the Living or Persistence of Time, but it's still really damn good).

Sound of White Noise is pretty much my favourite Anthrax album (well, it's either that or Persistence of Time, there's not much between them), but I'm not sure the rest of the Bush era really matches up to the band's other albums. Stomp 442 was patchy (I loved it as a teenager, but it's a step down from SoWN), Volume 8 was fucking terrible (I cannot listen to that album all the way through) and We've Come for You All has some great songs (What Doesn't Die) and some shit songs (that song where Charlie tries to blast and does a really bad job). Eh. Horses for courses in the end, but much as I love those first albums, the Joey albums are where it's at for me.

The Anthrax web series has been utterly fantastic. I’ve found myself checking YouTube every couple of days to see if the new one has turned up. 

I also was a massive Bush-era fan, and never really liked Joey’s vocals, but I’m much more open to them now, and I’ve been listening to Anthrax tonnes. 

I also have a WhatsApp group with a couple of other lads and all we’ve talked about is Anthrax for weeks. I’ve seen them live a few times and loved them, but I will be so utterly hyped next time they come around. 

Even considering paying to watch their 40th anniversary livestream (I think it means staying up until midnight or so in the UK). Would be amazing if they have Turbin and Bush come along to do some songs. 

As an aside, has everyone seen Bush singing with Metallica? Voice is still crack-a-lackin!

^ Stuck Mojo were great fun. They supported a load of bands (Deftones, Type O, Korn) whenever they hit this part of the world in the late 90’s. 

On the Chris Jericho thing, I don’t know anything about wrestling but Stuck Mojo had a fantastic video with a bunch of WCW wrestlers from their 3rd album. I guess that’s how that collaboration came about originally. 

On 27/06/2021 at 10:14, Twinbee said:

As an aside, has everyone seen Bush singing with Metallica? Voice is still crack-a-lackin!

Actually sounds great, wasn't expecting that, I don't really care for the song but it was interesting to hear it that way.  I thought they were going to go into some Gary Numan in the middle. 

In other Big 4 news,  Dave Mustaine will now send you a birthday wish for $150. A shame. He does say part of his fee goes to charity but nonetheless, feels a bit like something reality TV stars do before the bubble bursts,  not something for successful musicians to be doing.  Maybe he still has a mortgage to pay and the past year has made that difficult.  

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-is-now-on-cameo/

Here's some good metal

Moral Collapse - slightly tech but much less wanky death metal that grooves hard - really excellent:

Gavanizer - old school death/grind @neoELITE you might dig this. Catchy like Carcass blended with Entombed's first album.

Disentomb - Brutal Death Metal with some really great progressive/dissonant riffs. 

5 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Fucking fantastic it is. 

Check out them playing it live for the excellent KEXP

They're insanely good. I'm listening to the Levitation live album.

On 26/06/2021 at 10:51, neoELITE said:

Anthrax have a massive set of videos charting their history on YouTube.

I count Sound of White Noise as one of my top records of all time. I'm a big fan. It's a brilliant insight. Scott Ian is such an amazingly interesting man. If you like them, it's a must watch series.

I’m still convinced that Charlie Benante is immortal and that Frank Bello was replaced by a slightly seedier lookey-likey about ten years ago :)

This has been a great series to watch over the last few months. Really honest and interesting.

Anthrax’s YouTube docs have been so good I’ve bought a ticket to their livestream concert on Friday night (midnight). I figure I owe them for the effort that’s gone into the oral histories. 

I’ll need a power nap after work tomorrow though…

I bought a ticket for much the same reason, plus it will be good to see the band play something other than the festival classics that is all we get when they play in Japan (versus a proper album, like they did in the Kings Among Scotland live recording taken from the For All Kings tour), but I doubt I'll be able to stay up to watch it so I'll be watching it over the weekend instead.

On 26/06/2021 at 17:03, moosegrinder said:

Dude they're part of the Big 4. If you're being lumped with Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica you're more thrash than anything else. Besides SOD were the hardcore effort 😛

I've been meaning to watch that YouTube series so cheers for the reminder.

Among The Living is their most hardcore album. Seriously, even all the hardcore guys will tell you it is. It's a New York sound. 

A lot of hardcore is thrashy because of that album.