IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

Band looks like they'd be hiding round the corner in Raya Lucaria Academy ready to hit you with some glintstone bullshit? Check.

Mad jazz sax freakout in the middle? Check.

Featuring Kenny G? Check.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:37, DirkCrisis said:

In case anyone is interested, Earache have a preorder up for a vinyl release of Nailbomb’s 1994 “Point Blank”. Limited to 3000 copies apparently.

That's an incredible album. 

On 01/07/2022 at 15:45, Talvalin said:

This album and the second album are absolutely fantastic. Like Opeth with the folk knob turned up.

I love the choir / backing vocals. Makes it sound enormous.

WE FIGHT THE WIND AS IF IT WERE MORTAAAALL

I remember seeing them at the Newport Centre in the early 90s. They were very good but it was easily one of the most chaotic gigs I've ever been to.

For me, they always made half a good album (well for "Cowboys ...", "Vulgar Display ..." and "Far Beyond ..." at least). But the good songs on those albums were easily good enough to justify buying the record. I will admit that the less good songs feel a little directionless though.

The problem is that Dimebag was such an idiosyncratic guitarist, there are very very few people who sound anything like him or are capable of emulating him.

A friend mentioned Paul Crook, who was the touring lead guitarist for Anthrax and Meat Loaf as being someone with a similar style. Personally, I reckon Wes Hauch (formerly of The Faceless and Black Crown Initiate, and currently in Alluvial) would be an absolute shoo-in, but given the fact that he is virtually unknown outside of death metal circles, perhaps not.

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

The problem is that Dimebag was such an idiosyncratic guitarist, there are very very few people who sound anything like him or are capable of emulating him.

I think they could find a bunch of players to do it, certainly do it well enough*, but I suspect this announcement is partly about gauging interest and that'll be part of determining how much they want to spend on the tour costs, including musicians.  I assume Rex and Phil are mainly after a payday and that they won't be looking to give too much of their share of the money to the musicians that accompany them.

I assume there'll be a reasonable number of people saying that it'll be the only chance to get to see this thing which is the closest you'll get to seeing the original band. So if it's a big draw then they might choose to spend some money on a player with their own star appeal to bolster the appeal further, meaning more interest and more ticket sales. I assume they've immediately discounted Zakk Wylde to set expectations but I wonder if it also indicates that they're not looking to spend on "name" players at all. 

I won't be going, but I find it interesting, another chapter in the sad tale of Pantera.

*edit: I just checked out footage of Phil Anselmo and The Illegals playing at night at a festival, main stage, big crowd, and the guitarist sounded terrible. So perhaps it's a bigger task than I am giving credit for. 

Phil's voice is also terrible. 

Edit2: contrast with this (I was at this festival and saw this live BTW) and there's no way you're getting to see anything like Pantera with this tour. Even if the original line up were possible, the energy, the fire, the attitude, the lack of a shadow of racism hanging over it. It just wouldn't be possible for it to be done today.