IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

Sabbath tonight in Belfast...holy fuck! They nailed it totally. Ozzy's looking a little scary with whatever work he's had done to his face but he was hitting the notes perfectly all night and we even got a few of those frog hops from him. Iommi let his guitar do the work for him, just stood there, calm and professional but he was belting out classic after classic. Didn't see much of Geezer from where I was but he got to let rip on the intro to NIB and the new drummer didn't let Bill Ward down at all, really good. I'm a little drunk, sorry.

I know this is a bit old-manny, but some of the tunes on here a phenomenal but I hate the vocal style.

I'm finding this as I get older. Carcass are a good case in point - their musicianship astonishes me, but the vocals......Christ on a bike. When I was younger I loved it. These days I still like the music, but death/black type screamy, growls, snarly vocals largely make me cringe. I don't mind if they're changed up with clean vocals so much, as with Opeth, Enslaved or Arcturus for example.

It's a perfectly valid opinion. What do you like listening to then? :)

Is it death metal vocals that put you off or or slightly overblown stuff like Solitude Aeternus above?

Yeah, it's the really extreme vocal style I don't like - either the really gutteral stuff or the high pitched stuff like Cradle Of Filth. I don't mind a bit of roaring as I like earthtone9, Pantera, Down, Mastodon etc, but I like a bit of singing in there too. Was always more into good metal singing like Staley, Dickinson, Cornell and Hetfield (up to Justice anyway) to be fair. Mind you, when I was a lad I thought Slayer were extreme, and Tom Araya's vocals are bloody tame by today's standards.

Yeah, it's the really extreme vocal style I don't like - either the really gutteral stuff or the high pitched stuff like Cradle Of Filth. I don't mind a bit of roaring as I like earthtone9, Pantera, Down, Mastodon etc, but I like a bit of singing in there too. Was always more into good metal singing like Staley, Dickinson, Cornell and Hetfield (up to Justice anyway) to be fair. Mind you, when I was a lad I thought Slayer were extreme, and Tom Araya's vocals are bloody tame by today's standards.

Other albums that you might like (I've mentioned a few before, but nevermind):

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor (Opeth-esque)

<code> - Augur Nox (Arcturus-esque)

Textures - Silhouettes (progressive, polyrhythms, melody, clean singing moments)

Hacride - Lazarus (lacking a good comparison right now)

Nevermore - S/T, The Politics of Ecstasy, Dreaming Neon Black, Dead Heart in a Dead World, This Godless Endeavour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5zIZcsPeQ

Cult of Luna are sort of calling it a day.

The Beyond the redshift festival in London on may the 10th will be a very special show for Cult of Luna. It will mark the end of an era and after that we will slowly disappear before we reappear again in some form in some indefinite future.

Because of that Klas will join us on stage for the last time and we will play a whole lot of old songs which we haven't played for years or ever.
We might ask for your help to choose songs.
More on that later.

We are not quitting.
2013 have been a very active year for us and neither do we want or think it is good to continue in that pace.
We will not be a band that put out an album every 18-24 month anymore. We did that for almost 10 years when we were younger and were able to focus more on the music.
After "Beyond the redshift" we might do a festival or two but after that we have nothing planned.
Maybe we'll release another album next year or maybe in a decade, we honestly don't know.
Sooner or later we will return in one form or another.
Cult of Luna will not die.

Beyond the Redshift looks incredible:

1453492_10151818448883391_721352411_n.jp

So who's up for Beyond the Redshift then? Probably going to pick up a ticket later as £30 to see a greatest hits Cult of Luna show, Bossk and Amenra is a bargain.

To get into the festive spirit the last week or two, I've been listening to Decibel Magazine's Top 40 Albums of 2013. I've been almost entirely ignorant of metal this year (couple of stoner records and Carcass' blazing return aside) so it's been a welcome education - particularly enjoying In Solitude and Inquisition's albums.

Spotify Playlist

Top 40:

1. Carcass - Surgical Steel

2. In Solitude - Sister
3. Gorguts - Colored Sands
4. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
5. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
6. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
7. Melt Banana - Fetch
8. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
9. Noisem - Agony Defined
10. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
11. Deafheaven - Sunbather
12. Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
13. Nails - Abandon All Life
14. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
15. Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
16. Secrets of the Sky - To Sail Black Waters
17. Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
18. Lycus - Tempest
19. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
20. The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer
21. Antigama - Meteor
22. Kylesa - Ultraviolet
23. Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
24. Exhumed - Necrocracy
25. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Mind Control
26. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
27. Ulcerate - Vermis
28. Anciients - Heart of Oak
29. Craven Idol - Towards Eschaton
30. Iron Reagan - Worse Than Dead
31. Portal - Vexovoid
32. Coliseum - Sister Faith
33. Cathedral - The Last Spire
34. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
35. Noctum - Final Sacrifice
36. AEvangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
37. Watain - The Wild Hunt
38. Corrections House - Last City Zero
39. Dark Tranquility - Construct
40. Batillus - Concrete Sustain

Is it any good?

Yeah. If you like their stuff (Especially their recent stuff) it's really good. Certainly had me air drumming last night. Free to listen to and find out too :) According to itunes the album is out on the 6th. I can see me buying it.

Reading a lot of "best metal albums of 2013" lists

Seems Deafheaven's "Sunbather", Gorgut's "Colored Sands" and Subrosa's "More Constant Than The Gods" are getting the plaudits, enjoying all three at the moment

Only album I've looked forward to this year was Carcass', plus the chance to finally see them live was fantastic!

Any more major nods for new stuff? I'm so out of touch

Nothing wrong with Framing Armageddon. TenThousand Strong is one of my fave Iced Earth songs ever. I think it's that thing you get with long time fans where the singer changes. A bit like Blaze Bailey if he'd actually been a good choice.