IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS

spatular

Oooh. I bet they're both pretty good, though I've played neither. I think most people who enjoyed 9 persons 9 doors 9 hingways went on to live Virtue's Last Reward a lot too. Can't really speak for the game itself, but it does seem like a proper sequel to 999 in that it's likely far better if you're the kind of person who would enjoy a game you can approach as more of an interactive novel than a game. There's a demo on the eShop you can try!

Just bought Tales of the Abyss.

Also, sorry to post now it's out of stock, but Virtue's Last Reward is superb, but you must go into it knowing it's a visual novel with puzzles, rather than a graphic adventure like Phoenix Wright.

There's one room in particular that's famous for it, Google for the "PEC Room puzzle" I think it is. Saving there can cause a crash which corrupts your save but I've also heard of it happening in other puzzle rooms. Happens on all versions - 3DS and Vita, across all regions. It's avoided as long as you save during dialogue/text sequences only.

I've not had a streetpass from anyone who isn't my girlfriend in weeks. :(

Luckily I'm a total stud and have about half a dozen girlfriends, each with their own favourite colour.

I've been progressing in Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (The ambassador GBA one, not the 3DS one, sadly) but I got to a level recently where a young, misguided girl joins the enemy army and talks naively in the opening scanes of her desire to do well for her people. I figured I'd gallop on down there and convince her that my army were fighting for the good of the people (not that I have a clue what's going on, ironically enough) but when I shifted big Franz to the spot next her there was no option to talk, so I trotted away a couple of squares and waited to bring the main lady down instead. Unfortunately, naive young girl then decide to attack big Franz, who turned around without a thought and speared her right through the face; dead. I didn't want that on my conscience so I had to switch it off.

From Nintendolife:

3DS download software

Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D Download Version (Zordix, €9.99 / £8.99) — Having originally arrived as a retail title late last year, Zordix AB has taken over publishing duties for this Download Version, in which your goal is still to rise from being a rookie to a hero firefighter. We weren't at all impressed with the retail version in our Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D review, but will nevertheless douse any flames of curiosity and see whether the reduced price means any reduction in content.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man 2 (Capcom, €4.99 / £4.49) — Capcom is bringing the first six NES Mega Man titles to the 3DS Virtual Console, and now eager fans of the Blue Bomber can get their hands on the first sequel and, arguably, the beginnings of the series at its best. Some even regard this as the best in the original series, but wherever you stand in the argument this is classic Mega Man fare; we're more than happy to review it again in its 3DS guise, but until then you can always check out our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man 2 review.

3DS retail download

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (SEGA, €39.99 / £29.99) — This handheld version of the excellent Wii U title hit European stores on 1st February, and isn't taking long to speed onto the eShop for those that prefer downloading their retail games. Expect a lot of fast action and fan-service in this one.

3DS download demo

Fractured Soul (Endgame Studios, free) — A title with a long and torturous development history, its arrival brought us a hard-as-nails dual screen action platformer, with puzzle elements also thrown in. Clearing levels is one concern, while perfectionists can tackle the various collectibles in each stage; now you can see whether it appeals to you with this free sample.

Serious question...

Considering Sega already have a 3DS racing game engine (Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed), and they already have all the assets (tracks, graphics, music, sound), how much work would a port of Outrun 2/SP/2006 involve?

As, say, a percentage of the amount of work a new title with no engine or assets would be.

I'd love Outrun 2 for the 3DS :(

Didn't Sega lose the Ferrari license? I think a port to the 3DS would be trivial considering there already are previous gen versions (PSP/Xbox).

But they pulled the HD version from XBLA because of license issues IIRC, so that might be a bigger problem than the technology. I wouldn't mind a Vita or 3DS version myself actually.

I'd love any new (good) racer. Loved ridge but rinsed it completely. The 3ds is perfect for racing games, ridge benefited hugely with the 3d turned on, imo. Sega all star looks a bit pants to me, very rough around the edges.

A new f-zero would be epic on the 3ds.

Serious question...

Considering Sega already have a 3DS racing game engine (Sonic & All Star Racing Transformed), and they already have all the assets (tracks, graphics, music, sound), how much work would a port of Outrun 2/SP/2006 involve?

As, say, a percentage of the amount of work a new title with no engine or assets would be.

I'd love Outrun 2 for the 3DS :(

Anything from a relatively short time through to an extremely long time, enough to practically make another game. It's impossible to say without access to the actual engine and assets to have a look at.

In theory (major generalisations and assumptions incoming), it should be quite possible to use the visual assets from the PSP version on the 3DS, based upon the performance of similar games like Ridge Racer 3DS. Usually other assets such as sounds and music can be remastered without too much difficulty (with those, the bigger issue is a legal one as opposed to the work involved).

However, repurposing the engine from Sonic Racing to work with OutRun 2's is the black box here. OutRun 2 is a peculiar game in that the "endless racing" gameplay requires that the loading takes place on-the-fly during the transitional segments of track. Even if you overcome that technical hurdle there are many involved in getting the handling right in order for it to be like the original. If you can use the original handling code, you might cut this down to size, but it might end up being more work than actually building it again from scratch, depending on the specifics of the engine involved.

Of course, as has been said, the bigger headache is the legal one with Ferrari.