Nintendo 3DS

spatular

I'm still wondering what the point is in getting one of these at launch. I love my xl and see no reason at all to upgrade to the new one until it has a few exclusives. Or that it uses amibos in a meaningful way.

I know ill end up owning both models eventually, just like with my 2 3ds's - but for now there seems little point at all.

It depends how many/what games are going to be n3DS exclusives for me. I never finished Xenoblade on the Wii as I always get distracted from console RPGs.. Portable would be great though.. Tempting tempting!

Help me justify a n3DSXL purchase. The main draw for me is the improved 3D and the opportunity to see whether Xenoblade Chronicles is as good as everyone says, but all of the upcoming release schedules I've looked at are pretty thin. Excepting Xenoblade and MM, what else is there? I'm yet to be convinced by Codename: STEAM and I'd be surprised if the new Fire Emblem sees an EU release this year. I really didn't like the demo for MH3, so I'm sceptical about MH4. Anything else to justify the £100 I'll probably have to spend on a n3DSXL after I've sold my original XL?

Yes the 3D is much improved by all accounts and the OS faster meaning a smoother operation overall.

Apart from Xenoblade I don't think other new games have been announced but this is Nintendo so I'd expect re releases of games such as Mario Galaxy and more Zelda.

Can anyone tell me if the new 3DS takes the same charger as the standard 3DS XL? Although it says they're free with my order on the Nintendo site, it also says they're out of stock.

The 3d is glorious on the new one, properly blown away by it - even playing in bed last night in the dark it just works!

Snes coloured buttons

3d that works

OS that is smooth and quick

Faceplates, fucks sake but they are great

See, more reason to own one than a PS4/Xbone ;)

The first Edgeworth was dreadful. I gather the second one is actually meant to be quite good. It never came out in English but there is a fan translation.

Justice is weaker than 3 and 5 but is a good game on its own, though there aren't many ties between that and 5. Don't forget Prof. Layton vs Wright once you are done with those. It suffers a bit from the Prof. Layton trademark treacle-like pace and the writing isn't as sharp (perhaps surprising since it's by Shu Takami, the creator/writer/director of the original three games), but it's a pretty decent spinoff.

I'm a bit concerned the next game won't be as funny with the Meiji Japan setting. If they even localise it.

There are at least two massive ties between Apollo Justice and AA5, those being Apollo himself and Trucy. It might come as as surprise to a non-Justice player when Trucy starts calling Phoenix 'Daddy.'

Region lock has been hacked...

It's a little bit of faff, and only works on 2DS/ 3DS / 3DS XL for the time being, firmware 9.0-9.4, it's open source, so is likely to get ported to older firmwares and the n3DS at some point.

This works. I am not overly techy but from what I am led to understand this will be a difficult one for ninty to patch not to function anymore as it basically uses the webkit browser to gain access to the system and bypass the region lock

My Pokemon cover plates arrived from Play-Asia yesterday which ordered before I realised how soon they were to be released here.

post-243-0-88338000-1421511472_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-16425700-1421511488_thumb.jpg

I didn't actually realise they were transparent when I ordered them. Unlike the Smash Bros faceplates they also don't have any flex in them. I'm not sure if that's because I fitted them properly of they are a slightly thicker plastic but when I use the the system with them on the battery cover plate doesn't move at all even if I try pressing it down.

A real shame for me that they've Pokémon artwork on them, as the translucent blue background with white opaque detailing is a lovely combination. Give me the same but with artwork for Fire Emblem, or Phoenix Wright, or simply something abstract, and I'd snap it up! And maybe even an N3DS to use it on.

There are at least two massive ties between Apollo Justice and AA5, those being Apollo himself and Trucy. It might come as as surprise to a non-Justice player when Trucy starts calling Phoenix 'Daddy.'

It certainly won't come as a surprise anymore!

When you play Circle Pad Pro games on the new 3DS does it always map the "big" triggers to the ZL and ZR buttons or is there an option? Is that uncomfortable to use, or does it work fine?

Depends on the game. I found Snake Eater pretty uncomfortable to play because it means using the ZL and ZR buttons on the inside to aim and fire and there's no option to change it to the bigger triggers. Monster Hunter lets you switch what they're used for, so having them as another way to rotate the camera without having to take your thumb off the buttons is pretty useful.

Right, I think I'm going to place a pre-order for an XL and MM. This has probably been asked before, but if I wanted to sell my original XL now before the price plummets, I understand that I have to 'unlink' my NNID from my current XL so that I can set it up again on my new one. I've read that the only way to do this without performing a system transfer is to ring Nintendo customer support and do it that way. Is this information up to date, because it seems like a right faff if true?

Has anyone managed to connect their New 3DS up to a Mac? I can access the SD card using a PC, but with a Mac it just won't accept the username and/or password (and yes, I'm connecting via smb).