Nintendo 3DS

spatular

Another quick question. One of my lads 3dsXLs has got a non working volume slider. Looking to get it repaired under warranty so have booked it in with Nintendo. The instructions say to remove games and stylus, but not the SD card, so I presume I send that in with the console. Just want to check, Will back it up first though

On 15/01/2017 at 12:28, Napole0n said:

I have a bit of a complicated relationship with JRPGs in that I generally hate them but IF they manage to hook me, they hook me GOOD. There hasn't been a single Final Fantasy I liked but I adored Golden Sun on the GBA for example. And Persona 4 Golden is one of my favourite games of all times despite being a shameless JRPG - but everything in that game just totally clicked for me. But for every JRPG that's a hit, there are a dozen (often highly rated ones) I just can't get into.

This is me, basically! I don't hate them as such, but most of them just don't grab me at all.

I have so many that I've played for an hour or two and that's all.

Persona 3, 4 and Q, Final Fantasy VIII and X, Bravely Second, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario 2 and Suikoden II all absolutely dug their claws into me.

SMT IV didn't. It felt very rough around the edges and was very difficult, and I lost interest pretty quickly. Currently enjoying Dragon Quest VIII though!

I picked up a 2DS today, what a bargain that little machine is. £75 for the machine and NSMB2, I went for the 2DS because of the price and not being bothered about 3D.

I also picked up Ocarina of Time and A Link between Worlds. I haven't play OoT since it was released back in the day but it seems to be just as good as I remember it even if it does look significantly better with this port.

I love my 2DS as well, for the price it's an amazing machine. Was playing some Steamworld Dig and Gunman Clive today, great small games that are perfect for that machine. And not forgetting the demon time sink that is Pocket Card Jockey

1 hour ago, MidWalian said:

A Link Between Worlds is fantastic. One of the few games which really benefited from the 3D.

Enjoy the big catalogue of excellent games. Falling back in love with my 3DS due to DQVIII coming out the other day.

The DQ games are a big reason I got a 2DS, I played the DS games and loved them. I can completely understand why it's bigger than FF in Japan, I'm actually tempted to get the more expensive version from the Nintendo store so I get the posters to frame..

Zelda games have 30% off at the moment, so I bought Ocarina of Time 3D from the eShop website for about £11, and it said something about using a member discount on it to get it to that price, and now every Zelda games is showing as full price again.

Are you only allowed one discounted game in this sale? You can't even add a few to a basket and get the discount off them all as you need to purchase them separately, the tight gits :lol:

Oh, Nintendo.

49 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Zelda games have 30% off at the moment, so I bought Ocarina of Time 3D from the eShop website for about £11, and it said something about using a member discount on it to get it to that price, and now every Zelda games is showing as full price again.

Are you only allowed one discounted game in this sale? You can't even add a few to a basket and get the discount off them all as you need to purchase them separately, the tight gits :lol:

Oh, Nintendo.

Looks like it :(

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/those_legend_of_zelda_my_nintendo_discounts_are_limited_to_one_purchase_in_europe

Ocarina of Time is ageless isn't it? and NSMB2 is just a delight to play.

One thing has pissed me off though, not being able to play snes VC games on my 2DS, apparently it isn't powerful enough. Sure, pull the other one Nintendo it has bells on it. If it can play games like Ocarina of Time, NSMB2 etc then it is surely powerful enough to play snes games.

22 minutes ago, Mallet said:

One thing has pissed me off though, not being able to play snes VC games on my 2DS, apparently it isn't powerful enough. Sure, pull the other one Nintendo it has bells on it. If it can play games like Ocarina of Time, NSMB2 etc then it is surely powerful enough to play snes games.

Just hack the system, then use BlargSNES to play them, simples :)

On 23/01/2017 at 01:12, NEG said:

Stylus style 2 screen handhelds need to continue existing, I'd say. Switch is no replacement, and even if it wanted to be, it needs to fix it's own flaws first. Most important being: size and battery.

And control, I dont want to play my games with either the switch pad or the left and right of the screen split style. I like where the 3ds controls sit and the 3d itself.

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

Just hack the system, then use BlargSNES to play them, simples :)

Have you tried out the latest build (v.0.80) of SNES 9X For O3DS? It has special chip support, save states, palette display and autofire options and far superior compatibility than blargsnes. On an N3DS it can run the Starfox games full speed.

As far as SNES emulation on 3DS in general, I think it's probably worth mentioning that the two viable options for O3DS perform their witchcraft by sacrificing accuracy and implementing ingenious hackery. None of the other SNES emulators - the ones that are more accurate and need a N3DS to run most games full speed - including the one Nintendo use for official SNES Virtual Console - are perfect either.

I'm intending to fill some of the gaps in my 3DS collection, seeing as I've played all the big games on the Wii U, and not interested in the Switch. :) 

What is the general consensus about Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario Maker (pre-set levels)?

Also considered the Dragon's Quest remake, but it seems too hardcore JRPG for my tastes.

23 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I'm intending to fill some of the gaps in my 3DS collection, seeing as I've played all the big games on the Wii U, and not interested in the Switch. :) 

What is the general consensus about Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario Maker (pre-set levels)?

Also considered the Dragon's Quest remake, but it seems too hardcore JRPG for my tastes.

I had a lot of fun with Luigi Mansion 2 but for me its not a patch on the original and most of that is the controls - I tend to find anything that comes from a console suffers a bit like that but its still a good game :)

I really liked Luigi's Mansion 2. There are a lot of complaints about the mission structure, but it worked well in my view. I loved the way the same environments would change between each mission.

It also had a surprisingly fun multiplayer mode, though it was hard to find anyone playing online when I went through the game this time last year and it's probably even more dead now.

22 hours ago, Mallet said:

It can.

Super Metroid on it is glorious.

I was so young when I played the original Luigi's Mansion that I hardly remember anything from it. Perhaps I should go back to it - I might better appreciate the complaints about the sequel.

Going into the sequel without any real expectations, however, I thought it was brilliant. One of my favourite 3DS games.

36 minutes ago, smac said:

So, where's best to buy a new 3DS? I have an older 3DSXL, but wouldn't mind a new model.

I've put an order in for THIS

It's shipped by Amazon so should be alright, although mine will be residing on the shelf as a collection piece :)

It's not the XL version, but still cheaper than most of them out there if you can deal with the smaller size.