IGNORED

What was the first film you watched in 2013?

Hanzo the Razor

The Amazing Spiderman: Part 2. This is defined as the part that is the movie they should have made, having removed the preceding 80 minutes of origin fluff that nobody really needed to see again.

I'm being a little harsh. I've found the Raimi trilogy to be unfavourable after repeat viewings - Maguire never really convincing and the bloke from The Smashing Pumpkins being very wooden - though the action sequences do hold up. This seemed about 10 minutes too long but had some great sequences, and the bit where New Yorker Help Spidey Out was far more convincing.

They nailed Parker as well, both in casting and script.

Regarding Barbie: Four Musketeers - it seemed to have a hell of a lot of montages, including one set to Unbelievable by EMF. It was much better than Barbie: A Christmas Tale (or whatever the new one was). Barbie: Island Princess wasn't that bad either to be honest, we saw that (again) over the holiday.

Obviously none of them are as good as Fireman Sam: The Great Fire of Pontypandy.

Well I was watching Along Came Polly last night which didn't finish until after Midnight - sure know how to celebrate the New Year in this household - but I'm not letting that count. That'll go down as last film I watched in 2012. First film of 2013 is still up for grabs. I got 21 Jump Street for Christmas so may watch that later and give it the honour of first film watched of the new year.

The Terminator, the remastered Blu Ray that came out last year.

Still a fucking incredible film! The police station scene is one of the best ever. That part where Arnie shoots the cop in the back down the corridor with the Spas-12, one handed, just beautiful. Stone cold, ka-boom.

The Bourne Identity (recorded off ITV2+1)

Still brill it is. Propa brill mate.

Ah damn! Gutted I missed it. Such a shame too as they're hardly ever on. Hopefully they repeat it soon.

First for me last night was Man On A Ledge. Completely average film, but Genesis Rodriguez was quite lovely looking in it...

genesis-rodriguez-ledge-los-angeles-premiere-15Wt9g.jpg

:wub:

Tonight I watched The Guard. Rather enjoyed it, would recommend.

Ah damn! Gutted I missed it. Such a shame too as they're hardly ever on. Hopefully they repeat it soon.

First for me last night was Man On A Ledge. Completely average film, but Genesis Rodriguez was quite lovely looking in it...

genesis-rodriguez-ledge-los-angeles-premiere-15Wt9g.jpg

She looks incredible in an otherwise shit film.

ZVXnz.png

Anyhoo, I watched about 30 minutes of Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel, didn't think it was all that great, turned over and watched something else, then turned back over to find the end credits were rolling.

What about him?

First film of the year and I wanted it to be a 100% bonafide classic to start things off right! I'd heard My Neighbour Totoro praised as 'the best animation movie of all time' so when it popped up on Blu-Ray I insisted that Santa bring me a copy. Yet a good way into it I was getting a little impatient. The story of two children discovering the wonders of the countryside had a certain charm, but not enough to hold my attention or forgive their annoying shrill cries every few minutes. Just as I was beginning to question if I was indeed dead inside, came the first encounter with the large Totoro. Has there ever been such a wonderfully cuddlesome character created in cinema before? And how great is that crazy Cat Bus? These magical moments cunjured up from the children's imagination are impossible not to love, serving as distractions from the dull goings on of the human characters. Perhaps they are all the more powerful due to this juxtaposition, without the dark how would we know the light? Or maybe I am after all just a little bit dead inside.

3/5