IGNORED

Fairy tales and Folk tales

Oh Danny Boy

A thread for anyone who loves reading tales. I love reading the Grimms and Arthurian tales such as Sir Gwain and the Green Knight. I've gone though quite a few books of British Myths and Legends. I got this book through the post recently:

post-8280-0-96763400-1357229626.jpeg

A collection of old Scandinavian tales, hardback and solid binding, its a lovely book for children as well with some wonderful illustrations by Kay Nielsen:

post-8280-0-87657400-1357229830_thumb.jp

post-8280-0-28433400-1357229866_thumb.jp

post-8280-0-70859100-1357229957.jpg

Definitely recommended, its a great laid back and enjoyable read.

Like you I love folk stories and have a small but decent collection. As well as owning Easy of the Sun and West of the Moon I also have the following which I would recommend to anybody interested in the subject.

The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales

The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen Collection

Italo Calvino's Italian Folktales

Brothers Grimm Complete Fairytale

Ramayana The Divine Loophole - I can't recommend this enough

The Girl Who Helped Thunder - a collection of Native American folktales

Folktales of Englad

I've also got several books on Greek mythology but would like to get more on Norse and Japanese folktales if anybody has any suggestions.

Folio Society can always do such nice books, i definitely recommend 'British Myths and Legends, a three volume set which contains; 'History and Romance', 'Marvels and Magic and 'Heroes and Saints' and contains stories of the founding of Albion and the conquering of its Giants by Brutus and other such as Hamlet, The life of Merlin, Beowulf, Sir Gwain and the Green Knight, Robin Hood, Lady Godiva and many more.

607651912_tp.jpg

Like you I love folk stories and have a small but decent collection. As well as owning Easy of the Sun and West of the Moon I also have the following which I would recommend to anybody interested in the subject.

The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales

The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen Collection

Italo Calvino's Italian Folktales

Brothers Grimm Complete Fairytale

Ramayana The Divine Loophole - I can't recommend this enough

The Girl Who Helped Thunder - a collection of Native American folktales

Folktales of Englad

I've also got several books on Greek mythology but would like to get more on Norse and Japanese folktales if anybody has any suggestions.

thanks, i'll have to check some of them out

• 3 weeks later...

There's the famous 'One Thousand and One Nights', aka 'The Arabian Nights', which has some fantastic stories and has been massively influential throughout the literary world for centuries.

For a slightly different take on the folklore and fairy tale genre, I can recommend Stanislav Lem's 'The Cyberiad' - a collection of humorous sci fi stories set in a pseudo medieval setting, complete with kingdoms, robotic princes and princesses. Most of them are linked by a couple of characters called Trurl and Klapaucius - robotic engineers capable of all kinds of wondrous feats. I suppose they're the equivalent of the wisemen, magicians and genies of the more traditional stories. Like a lot of Lem's other work, there's a philosophical angle to many of the stories, which give them added depth.

• 2 months later...

What Greek mythology books do you recommend Cookie? I'm looking for some- espeically any that are interestingly illustrated?

'The Greek Myths' By Robert Graves is one of the best, he collects the myths into chapters such as 'beginnings', 'revolts against the gods' etc and then offers a Neo-Frazerian interpretation of the meanings behind each myth

Try the Icelandic sagas; many of them have been published individually or in small collections, they are great reads, revealling much about the culture, society and history of the Norsemen and women who first settled on Iceland. The Laxdaela Saga is my favourite so far but i'm yet to read most of them.

http://sagadb.org/

Or if you want to dive right in this is the only available complete set of all the Sagas translated into English:

00sett.jpg

http://www.sagas.is/yfirlit.htm

If you want a beautifully written and illustrated book that pulls in myths and folk tales from all over the world for comparison, I always recommend this Oxford anthology: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Gods-Men-John-Bailey/dp/019275176X

I was given it as a child and still read it today, it's so wonderfully retold throughout. You can have a look inside at that link, and it's only £1.79 new for jiminy crimmens! Or 1p used.

• 4 weeks later...

What Greek mythology books do you recommend Cookie? I'm looking for some- espeically any that are interestingly illustrated?

If you can find it, 'The God Beneath the Sea', by Leon Garfield and Edmund Blishen; it's a prose reworking aimed at younger readers, but it's still dark, violent and lusty.

And the illustration by Charles Keeping is certainly interesting; there are a couple of examples here - have a look and remember this was a kid's book:

http://magictorch1980.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/god-beneath-sea-ad-genius-of-charles.html

Edit: even more here; safe to say, for older kids; still gave me weird dreams. The eagle tearing at Prometheus' liver is just awesome.

http://petrascupboard.weebly.com/the-god-beneath-the-sea.html