IGNORED

January transfers thread

Oh Danny Boy

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread primarily for transfer gossip and rumour during the current window, transfers so far (only those involving Premiership clubs are listed here):

January 5th

Johan Djourou Arsenal > Hannover 96 Loan

January 4th

Lewis Holtby Schalke > Spurs Free

Roger Espinoza Sprorting Kansas > Wigan Undisclosed

Chris David FC Twente > Fulham Undisclosed

Tal Ben Haim Free Agent > QPR Free

Demba Ba Newcastle > Chelsea Undisclosed

Mathieu Debuchy Lille > Newcastle £5 million

Joe Cole Liverpool > West Ham Free

Marouane Chamakh Arsenal > West Ham Loan

January 3rd

Zeki Fryers Standard Liege > Tottenham Undisclosed

January 2nd

Daniel Sturridge Chelsea > Liverpool Undisclosed

Angelo Henriquez Manchester United > Wigan Loan

January 1st

Daniel Carrico Sporting Lisbon > Reading £600,000

Danny Higginbotham Stoke > Sheffield United Free

Carlo Cudicini Tottenham > LA Galaxy Free

That Zeki Fryers one is a bit suspect, no? Was training with Spurs in the summer, but they would have had to pay compensation to United if he went to a club in the same country, so he goes to Standard for six months and then moves the next transfer window?

That Zeki Fryers one is a bit suspect, no? Was training with Spurs in the summer, but they would have had to pay compensation to United if he went to a club in the same country, so he goes to Standard for six months and then moves the next transfer window?

It is indeed and also a lot of Spurs fans knew this was going happen back in the summer.

@ Daley

Sigh because of Ba and Sturridge?

Suspect but legal.

If clubs have to worry about young players leaving on a free at the end of the season, that's a disincentive to giving those players time on the pitch. There really ought to be a compensation law enforced by UEFA, or perhaps the FA could require compensation to be paid to the original club anyway. I suspect this is an isolated case, but it's hard enough for academy players to get into the first team as it is.

I wonder where Debuchy will play. Playing him at right back means ousting Simpson, and playing him in midfield probably means using a different formation. Maybe the latter is more likely; since Ba has now gone they'll probably play with one up top now, so there's space for another midfielder.

@ Daley

Sigh because of Ba and Sturridge?

Sigh because transfer windows, as an Arsenal fan, are about as enjoyable as slamming your nuts in a car door.

Although it seems Chamakh has left which is good. And Squilaci and Djourou could be off too. Amazingly, according to who you believe, those three earn in the region of £180k a week combined.

If clubs have to worry about young players leaving on a free at the end of the season, that's a disincentive to giving those players time on the pitch. There really ought to be a compensation law enforced by UEFA, or perhaps the FA could require compensation to be paid to the original club anyway. I suspect this is an isolated case, but it's hard enough for academy players to get into the first team as it is.

If clubs are not willing to take a chance on these youngsters by time their contract is up they should be within their rights to walk away. It's hard to have sympathy for big clubs considering the way they've usually cherry-picked these same players from smaller clubs' academies for a pittance a few years earlier.

If clubs are not willing to take a chance on these youngsters by time their contract is up they should be within their rights to walk away. It's hard to have sympathy for big clubs considering the way they've usually cherry-picked these same players from smaller clubs' academies for a pittance a few years earlier.

I don't think it's about the player's rights, clearly he was free to leave. Is it not about big clubs or small clubs either, it could've happened to any team. My point was that United did take a chance on Zeki, and got no reward for it. Him leaving necessitated us signing Buttner as cover for Evra, and we received no compensation to offset that transfer fee.

A West Ham fan I know is on holiday in Australia for over a month, has checked in on Facebook at Bondi Beach, etc.

Coming back to Joe Cole and Marouane Chamakh is going to make his year!

Don't think West Ham fans should have any problems with Joe Cole. Free transfer, popular player at the club, still a decent player.

Chamakh on the other hand.......the word 'donkey' springs to mind.

I wonder where Debuchy will play. Playing him at right back means ousting Simpson, and playing him in midfield probably means using a different formation. Maybe the latter is more likely; since Ba has now gone they'll probably play with one up top now, so there's space for another midfielder.

He'll play at RB. Simpson's utter shite.

Only Premiership transfers? Think the most interesting one of the window so far is McGovern's proposed move to China. Also Pato moving to Brazil with Corinthians will be fascinating.

Was Pato's move in part because of the Brazilian national manager saying that all the 2014 squad need to be playing in Brazil to be picked, or something else? Robinho is rumoured to be going back too, isn't he?

Nah, Brazilian clubs have greater spending power thanks to the economy booming relatively. They can compete with fees and wages now, so for a lot of players it's the chance to go home and still earn the same living. Plus there's actually prestige in winning the league as well as the Copa Libertadores over there. You're considered a hero if you win the Club World Cup, on par with the actual World Cup.

Rumours that Drogba is leaving China after six months to head to Italy.

Ipswich signed two players on loan until the end of the season with a view to a permanent move. I think you will see more of this sort of deal in future.

Nah, Brazilian clubs have greater spending power thanks to the economy booming relatively. They can compete with fees and wages now, so for a lot of players it's the chance to go home and still earn the same living. Plus there's actually prestige in winning the league as well as the Copa Libertadores over there. You're considered a hero if you win the Club World Cup, on par with the actual World Cup.

That's only true of the top, top clubs, isn't it (and aren't some of them state-backed)? I still thought it was the shipping players overseas policy that was still the way most clubs make any money/survive at all?

If you follow the #FLTransfer hashtag, this is being used by all Football League clubs to officially announce signings.

Brighton have signed Vitalijs Maksimewnko from Skonto Riga.

Leicester have extended the loan of Michael Keane from Manchester United until the end of January.

Doncaster Rovers have signed Emile Sinclair on loan from Peterborough.

Watford continue to make a joke of the loan system, loaning Steve Beleck to Stevenage. Beleck is one of 9 players on loan to Watford from Udinese.

That's only true of the top, top clubs, isn't it (and aren't some of them state-backed)? I still thought it was the shipping players overseas policy that was still the way most clubs make any money/survive at all?

No, a fair few of them are well off at the moment. These clubs have millions of supporters remember, some of the large Rio and SP clubs have huge nationwide followings. Plus a strong currency against the Euro (they have been trying to weaken it without much success) and it means Brazilian clubs can compete with Europe pretty well at the moment. I mean, Neymar, Ganso, Leandro Daimiao, Casemiro, Paulinho et al are all still there, ten years ago they would all be in Europe by this stage of their careers. They are also starting to take players from the rest of South America more.