rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RIKT

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Bought the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game box the other week and me and three mates are having our first session on Monday night which I'm pretty excited about. I'm GM'ing the game and so have given the first adventure booklet a read through and it all seems straight forward enough. It seems to put a lot of emphasis on description from the players rather than measuring distances and counting squares etc which feels very positive.

Anyone else played this? Any tips for a GM that's not GM'd for a long long time?

Three tips! These are for general GMing, not sure how applicable they'll be for this game:

1 - RP is not adversarial; if your players have fun, you'll have fun - keep it focussed on them; they're heroes, let them act like it and be flexible if they've got an idea, which leads into...

2 - Your players are a collective of brains, who probably have better ideas than you. If a player hypothesises something amazing coming up, run with it but don't tell them you changed course. They'll feel like a super sleuth, and will have written the next session for you.

3 - If the game feels like it's stagnating, have two men with guns kick down the door, and leave a clue as to what to do next on their bodies.

• Upvote 2

Yes, I've run the introductory adventure. It's good fun! :) We like the system.

None of my players wanted to hide in the Cantina at the start - they all wanted to fight!

My players are old hands of the similar WFRP system, so they were immediately wanting to do things that the intro adventure doesn't introduce until later in the adventure. It was no problem - I was happy to accommodate them. With some novices the way the adventure introduces the mechanics then it should go great.

There's some good info, hints and tips etc from others that have run it on the official FFG forum:

http://www.fantasyfl...id=333&efcid=46

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comments. I don't think any of the group other than me has played an RPG before so hopefully it should be fairly simple to keep the game on the right track.

Well a couple of people have had to drop out of this tonight and so just 2 PCs and a GM doesn't seem like enough unfortunately.

We are however going have a play of the X-Wing Miniatures games instead so all is not lost :-)