Only God Forgives - Refn and Gosling's Next Film

Interesting that the main protagonist was meant to be English before dropping out and Gosling replacing him. Wondered why the brother's English and there seems to be a Scotish bloke too. Kristin seems to be putting on an American accent from the last trailer. Hope all this gets explained!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd always avoided Ryan Gosling films, because his face looks so silly, it has a kind of Nicholas Cage "why would you put a face like that in a movie?" quality to it.

I then watched Drive, as everyone was like "watch Drive!", so I did, and it was one of the best films I've ever seen.

More recently I watched Lars and the Real Girl, and it was one of the best films I've ever seen.

This trailer looks amazing.

1 star from Time Out, definitely one that won't have a critical consensus:

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/only-god-forgives

Someone on Twitter earlier said that it was like the bloody shootout from Django Unchained if filmed by Terrance Malick, for 2 hours (which makes it sound pretty great). Don't expect Drive 2 is the main take home - despite being the leading actor, Gosling has 17 lines of dialogue apparently.

Reading today that some people at Cannes were booing and walked out. I find it pretty pathetic that people boo films. Anyway, on the flip side of that some reviewers have been giving it 5/5 stars. Very much a mixed bag of reactions it seems.

This is getting a VOD release as well as a limited theatrical run isn't it? Presumably because the studio knows that 'Drive' has become an instant cult classic, that both Refn and Gosling are shit hot right now but that 'Only God Forgives' is more art film than action film and would die a death on wide release.

The upside is that it should be available a lot sooner than usual then, like 'Get The Gringo' and the recent 'Maniac' remake.

I know we're all well aware that reviews and public opinion don't really count for anything in the realm of art, but nowhere is it more clear than when a film has boos, walkouts and glowing reviews. It only reinforces the fact that you've just got to see, play, read or listen to whatever sparks your interest, regardless what anybody else says about it.

Reading today that some people at Cannes were booing and walked out. I find it pretty pathetic that people boo films. Anyway, on the flip side of that some reviewers have been giving it 5/5 stars. Very much a mixed bag of reactions it seems.

By all accounts the booing and walk-outs were to do with the violence. I think the violence in 'Drive' was done fantastically mainly because it was so shocking and I have a feeling he'll have taken it to the next level this time!

Personally, I can't wait to see it!

I'd always avoided Ryan Gosling films, because his face looks so silly, it has a kind of Nicholas Cage "why would you put a face like that in a movie?" quality to it.

I then watched Drive, as everyone was like "watch Drive!", so I did, and it was one of the best films I've ever seen.

More recently I watched Lars and the Real Girl, and it was one of the best films I've ever seen.

This trailer looks amazing.

My sentiments as well, re: Drive. Haven't seen Lars and Real Girl.

Can't wait for OGF though, the trailers so far have been fantastic.

1 star from Time Out, definitely one that won't have a critical consensus:

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/only-god-forgives

Someone on Twitter earlier said that it was like the bloody shootout from Django Unchained if filmed by Terrance Malick, for 2 hours (which makes it sound pretty great). Don't expect Drive 2 is the main take home - despite being the leading actor, Gosling has 17 lines of dialogue apparently.

Yikes, I despise Malicks stuff. :( The 17 lines of dialogue is doing nothing for me either..

It sounds like it leans more towards Valhalla Rising than Drive, sadly, which would be a shame. That film was possibly one of the most self-indulgent art-wank fests I've ever seen. And I loved Enter the Void.