Only God Forgives - Refn and Gosling's Next Film

lordcookie

I really enjoyed this, I did get a bit confused a couple of times as to what was going on, but I think it will improve with more viewings. I cringed a couple of times with the violence, but I don't really think that's a bad thing.

Everything about the film looked so damn good, I haven't seen a film as pretty as this for a long while.

Just finished watching this, and wow.

I will say that I don't think you're supposed to "enjoy" it, so to speak, it challenges alot of what has become the norm in modern film making. Refn really pushes the length of silence in this film which will no doubt piss some off, and anyone who goes into it expecting another Drive or Bronson will come away completely confused and possibly dissapointed. It shares some the elements of those films, notably Drives "arty" tone and (I'll mention them again) long pauses in dialogue, whilst it likes to show a high level of brutality much like Bronson does, but its still very much its own film.

Whilst the pauses often feel uncomfortable, its not without merit as every single piece of dialogue has importance, both to move the film along and to reveal more about each characters intentions or behaviours, but as with previous Refn films, actions speak louder than words

the way in which both the cop and Gosling's character question their actions when a child is involved says alot about both their characters compared to the other people surrounding them

A final mention has to go to the way its shot, the lighting in particular is astonishing and I can't recall a single moment of the film that didn't look amazing.

pics: (not sure why they're so pixelated!)

post-18912-0-53780100-1374444959.pngpost-18912-0-98335900-1374444929.png

post-18912-0-37995200-1374445000.png

I watched it yesterday afternoon and still don't really know what to think.

I definitely liked how unsettled I was throughout. Despite the film being very simple (predictable even, in broad terms) I never knew quite what to expect which kept me constantly on edge, and the tone (largely down to the soundtrack) was oppressive as hell.

As everyone else says the visuals are stunning and everything is framed so nicely. I'd say it's worth watching for the visuals and soundtrack alone.

I thought the plot broadly was interesting, but I didn't like how it was handled. I'm fine with minimal exposition, but I just didn't like what there was. None of the dialogue is interesting.

I liked Drive a great deal, but I thought this was awful. Yes, it's very stylishly shot, and Kristin Scott Thomas is great, but it's ponderously paced, incredibly self-important, and Gosling delivers what few lines of dialogue he has as if he's inhaled a huge dose of Valium before every take. The violence is brutal, but it felt entirely gratuitious to me - useful for shock value and nothing else. And I'm sorry, but there's nothing meaningful about endless close-up shots of someone clenching their fists. Maybe in a few years I'll watch it again and think differently, but for now it feels like an enormously indulgent folly. One of the most disappointing films I've seen in years.

Thought this was awesome. It's incredibly moody and atmospheric with an incredible level of tension that ramps up through the film. Wonderfully stylish film that looks amazing. I'd guess the majority of the cinema going public will find it pretentious and hard to fathom but its short, brutal and to the point. The end sequence is a bit wtf though.

Ultimately It was like sitting in a neon haze for 90 minutes.

Wow, I really hated this. Possibly I'm all Goslinged out and I'm seeing a bit of 'Emperor's new clothes' syndrome after watching the infinitely more enjoyable Gangster Squad and The Place Beyond The Pines recently but every drawn-out silence just left me screaming for someone to say something. I would say it was style over substance but I'm not sure it had either.

Maybe I'm the wrong audience but having enjoyed Drive I thought there'd be something for me here. Obviously not.

I actually quite liked the lengthy moments of silence. Talking is overrated anyway. But if I'd have found out Ryan Gosling had only 17 lines of dialogue after watching the film I wouldn't have believed it. I didn't think the violence was that strong - I've certainly seen worse, and the film was so dreamlike it didn't feel too 'real' either.

It looked incredible and the music was brilliant. It didn't bore me and kept me hooked until the end, but I wouldn't necessarily say I enjoyed it, at least not in the same way as I enjoyed Drive. I kind of want to watch it again just to see if there's anything behind all that imagery that I missed first time, but there was little in the way of instant gratification beyond the striking photography. It was probably up its own arse a bit too much really.

I loved it.

The gory violence (and echoes of Kakihara in Chang) reminded me of Ichi the Killer.

Im thinking about Chang being the proverbial God and judge of the title, delivering divine righteousness to the guilty and ultimately forgiving the protagonist for his particular sins.

Such a beautifully shot movie, but its certainly not style over substance.

I think its great cinema.

Just dont go in expecting Drive 2.

I don't think the violence is particularly extreme, it's just very unpleasant and - arguably - needlessly so. There's one bit (you'll know if you've seen it) where it seems especially gratuitous. I dunno, perhaps I'm getting old, but I just didn't find any kind of merit in this. The violence in Drive was pretty nasty in places, but I felt it fit better somehow.

Irreversible is a good call of reference; Gaspar Noé was mentioned in the post-movie credits.

again Noe's Enter The Void sounds like a closer fit, but I'll judge that after seeing this!

I'd say Enter The Void would be worth seeing to anyone that really enjoys this from the way it sounds.

The fact Refn and Jodorowsky are pals makes me happy. That and the thought of an Incal film. (No the 5th element doesn't count :P)