rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Utopia - 2nd series airs summer 2014. HBO to remake with David Fincher at the helm.

I've seen a few trails for this and it seems to be getting decent word of mouth, so could be worth a watch.

1/6. Five members of an online forum agree to meet after gaining possession of the original manuscript for fabled graphic novel The Utopia Experiments. Unbeknown to them, a shadowy organisation known as the Network is in pursuit of the comic book and its agents are prepared to kill to secure the prize. Thriller, starring Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Alexandra Roach, Wilson Adeel Akhtar, Paul Higgins and Stephen Rea.

This is actually based on an incident that happened on here. It's left field casting, but I think Stephen Rea will make an excellent Smitty.

• Upvote 6

So far this is insanely boring. Hopefully it picks up before the end, but I can't see myself watching the rest.

Is it just me or is this all a bit mid 90's?

Very much so. It seems to be trying way too hard whilst still managing to be pretty dull at the same time.

I'm not feeling it really. Why have there been so many rubbish conspiracy thrillers recently? This is by the writer of Pulling, which was meant to be good, and it's got a really good cast but even Michael Smiley's boring in it. Did they build it on top of an Indian burial site or something?

Laboured, style over substance and frustratingly vague. I like ambiguity in my drama but it needs to be accompanied with some semblance of character development or intriguing plot but I just found this a real slog to get through. It may have included several killings and a conspiracy element but it just seemed to tread water for 90 very long minutes. The press seem to be raving about it but I'm just not seeing what they are (which reminds me of the equally long, stylish but dull Red Ridings trilogy).

Is it just me or is this all a bit mid 90's?

Yeah, it reminded me of Killernet combined with Chris Morris' Jam. Quite fancied the girl in it though.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't fast-paced, but nor did it leave me bored or wishing it would get a move on. It had an other-worldly air about it, almost as though it was meant to be viewed as set in a fictional version of the world, rather than grounded in reality, something enhanced by the saturated colours and vignetted effect. In that regard it reminded me a little of The Shadow Line, which also had a stylised form (and also starred Stephen Rea), which I remember many people on the forum didn't get on with, but which I thought was excellent.

There're another five episodes, so I'm interested to see where it all goes.

The torture scene was very nasty.

• Upvote 1

Slow start, but I enjoyed it overall. The air of quiet menace felt a little bit like The Kill List (over and above the casting similarities), though the acting here was significantly better than that film.

I'm in, for now.

I was enjoying it enough, then drifted off, stopped paying attention and realised I wasn't actually watching it any more, so I stopped. It just didn't grab me.

Slow start, but I enjoyed it overall. The air of quiet menace felt a little bit like The Kill List (over and above the casting similarities), though the acting here was significantly better than that film.

I'm in, for now.

Oh I much prefer Maskell's work in Kill List, although he had a hell of a lot more to work from in that.

And

Are cases in point. I went to see Kill List looking forward to the Wicker Man stuff and wound up wanting the story to just linger around the domestic homelife bits. They're full of careful, nuanced and considered eerieness. Utopia didn't really seem to have a 'tone' as such.

I really enjoyed that. The soundtrack was awesome, and the cast as well. looking forward to the next one.

It was definitely slow to start. Well, not so much slow as just bad - felt like it was aiming for critics to write things like "beautifully shot" and "dreamlike", and in that first scene the bad guys were so willfully kooky and awkward. I warmed to it by the end though, and if it's six episodes I'm up for seeing how it turns out.

I quite liked the creepy bad guys but didn't feel like there was much of a hook overall. The rest of the characters weren't that interesting and the various bits of plot just felt faintly reminiscent of other things.

Didn't realise it was six episodes though so there's still scope for something interesting happening I guess.

Quite enjoyed this, it certainly held my attention enough to want to check out tonight's episode.

I liked Wilson Wilson for some reason.

Yeah, Wilson Wilson is a great comic foil but he has surprising resourcefulness. Always great traits in a character.

I'm really loving this, but I worry that the second episode has laid out the background a bit literally and in a bit of a hurry. I like the ambiguity of reality in the first episode. Of course maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.