Kentucky Route Zero

5 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Hide contents

Thanks. I get to the crystal. I stop. I see a random number. I select it. I move along a few inches and then stop again. I have no idea where I’m supposed to go. I realise I must have missed something or am being really stupid. Sorry. When I move to a place and choose it it just opens up my notebook. 

have you tried going 

Spoiler

Forwards and back? 

You kind of have to do a bit of both to find everything, and ultimately the right path.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

have you tried going 

Hide contents

Forwards and back? 

You kind of have to do a bit of both to find everything, and ultimately the right path.

Yes but it seems totally random and also deliberately obfuscating. Guess I’ll just try choosing some more. Up till now it’s. Even pretty much point and click or has been more explicit in its direction. Rest of it seems lovely buts it’s frustrating me. Thanks for trying. 

Spoiler

You actually do get a step-by-step instruction of what to do. It's most likely in your notebook and it's rather literal.

Found the "turn unto" to be the most opaque bit, really.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay. So I've gotten further in this now. Got over my hump with the wheely road bit and have ploughed on. A few observations and a question.

• The art is stunningly beautiful in places and it the atmosphere, both through sound and art is really amazing. 
  • The concept of the storytelling and the imagery is really to be admired. 
  • I am enjoying it but I feel like its a slog in places. Having to go through very long dialogue options repeatedly. Having to slowly walk around museums talking to random people. It's got very odd pacing. 

It's clearly supposed to be a complex story told in a complex way but is it supposed to be decipherable as you go through it? Should I be understanding what is going on from one scene to the next? Because I'm not sure I do. I get the basics (Trying to make a delivery - Meeting people along the way) but I have no idea what's happening from scene to scene. New characters. New concepts. I have heard that one of the things people love about it is the story and I am trying, but I am not sure if I am being really thick and not getting it or if there is a moment when it all falls together or if I should just be letting it all just wash over me because it does feel right now (End of episode 3) like the emperors new clothes. I couldn't even really ask questions about bits I don't get because I don't really understand any of it. I am loving the imagery and some of the characters and the overall feel but as its a slog in places it would be nice to know that there is a turnaround point where the story is going to knock my socks off for me to make my way all the way through it. So just wondering. It seems like a stream of consciousness to some extent. 

16 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I am loving the imagery and some of the characters and the overall feel but as its a slog in places it would be nice to know that there is a turnaround point where the story is going to knock my socks off for me to make my way all the way through it. So just wondering. It seems like a stream of consciousness to some extent. 

Yeah, it kind of is. Lots of loosely connected scenes. It's not a story where something's going to happen that makes it all click into place.

Vague thematic spoilers, nothing plot specific:

Spoiler

It's more a journey, where you meet different people and there's an overall sense of the strangeness of American normality, people drifting, lost and figuring things out in a world that doesn't make much sense, the kind of communities that form in these situations, a desire for relationships and places that feel more concrete and real, and so on.

It is a little slow and padded in the middle though. Started to drag in episode 3 for me and a bit in 4.

Yeah I bought all the episodes late last year, played episode 1 and enjoyed it well enough but haven't felt any burning desire to play more. It's very Lynchian, and I love Lynch, but the thought of sitting down to 'play' this for several hours per episode when I already know it's not really going to go anywhere narratively... I'm going to need to be in a very specific mood for that.

4 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, it kind of is. Lots of loosely connected scenes. It's not a story where something's going to happen that makes it all click into place.

Vague thematic spoilers, nothing plot specific:

Hide contents

It's more a journey, where you meet different people and there's an overall sense of the strangeness of American normality, people drifting, lost and figuring things out in a world that doesn't make much sense, the kind of communities that form in these situations, a desire for relationships and places that feel more concrete and real, and so on.

It is a little slow and padded in the middle though. Started to drag in episode 3 for me and a bit in 4.

Okay thanks. That makes me feel better in that I’m not totally thick and just not getting it and knowing that it’s not suddenly gonna fall into place. 

I pretty much agree with all the points in the last few posts. Very Lynchian and it does have flabby bits in the middle (which is pretty much where I am). 

All of this Surprises me because it was on so many best game of the generation lists. I am thinking that’s it’s more for what it is and what it represents. An adventure game that doesn’t go from A to C via B and of course had a lot of troubles on route to get here. Someone clearly had the courage of their convictions with this to get it finished. 

I will finish it and will no doubt admire it but will have to see how I feel when it’s all done. 

I felt pretty similar playing it a couple of weeks ago. 

It’s very much the art house movie that would sit in the Lovefilm envelope on the shelf for weeks. I really needed to be in the right mood, it felt like a bit of a slog, but I’m really really glad I finished it and enjoyed it in hindsight a lot more than I did at the time.

It really sticks with you and i’m fondly reminded of little moments as I go about my day.