Fallout 4 - VR Coming Soon

Uzi

I'm really struggling to get back into this. It's just starting to feel boring. Every quests comes down to combat, combat, combat.

The world is populated by raiders and super mutants (who've become "just another enemy"). There don't appear to be any real hubs beyond the main couple, and those that there are seem to be quickly one note and ill explained (I've found trader post and woshippers of atom).

With the current quests I've got (beyond the Radience stuff) of

Cabot House

Post-Glowing Sea

3rd BoS main mission

None seem to involve interesting storiess, characters or choices. Just more gunplay.

I'm really struggling to get back into this. It's just starting to feel boring. Every quests comes down to combat, combat, combat.

I'm having the same problem.

I think I'm just going to go through the main quest lines, it's also killed any appetite I had for exploring, because I now know all I'm going to find is some group of things to shoot.

I've done that already.

I'm pretty disappointed with this game to be honest.

Yeah, I like the basic game play loop of exploration and stealthy head shot based combat enough to come back to this and power on through to the end (probably won't bother with the settlement development though since I find it utterly unrewarding in any sense). It's never going to go down as a great RPG though :( Still, others are keeping that particular flame alive.

I still love it and am making excuses to get out of other stuff so I can spend an hour or so every day just wandering around, discovering new things in the wastes doing up my settlements, in a piecemeal fashion, so that they have the basics and hopefully can grow to max population.Still need to find one more piece of X01 armor to complete my full set.

I don't know how much is left to do, though - I can't imagine there is much more to discover on my map as it's getting pretty full and I think I've explored most of the empty areas. It does seem to me that there is slightly less in the way of interesting side quests (along the lines of Cabot House) than there have been in previous FO/ES games but I don't know if that's just because I've got used the game formula.

I've only just unlocked the first "Pacify" perk as well, and it's making me wish I'd done it earlier, it would have been fun during the main quest to see if I could get away with avoiding violent situations by pacifying key characters like Kellogg at the right time. But maybe its designed to only work on non storyline essential NPCs.

I'm feeling the same.

It suffers from "Every mission is to kill everyone in a location" syndrome. My gameplay goes: 1) Pick a mission I've somehow collected. 2) Kill everyone there. 3) Collect caps from questgiver. 4) Fast-travel back to Sanctuary to recycle loot and tweak weapon/armor mods.

I soon realised that every weapon you grab from a dead body is just a differently-modified version of a weapon you already have... which I've already modified as good as possible (as far as Gun Nut and Science perks allow). So I'm not even feeling a sense of my weapons getting more powerful or interesting. In fact they are feeling weaker. You're just hoping for a legendary enemy to drop a weapon... but even then, it's just the same as a gun you already have, but maybe with "15% chance of something."

I don't think I'm even too far into the game -- I've been doing side-missions but hesitating to kick-off the story. I'm hovering right before each major faction questline gets started (Preston is waiting for me to turn up at some castle, the BoS guy in the power armor is waiting for me at the police station, I haven't yet 'discovered' the Railroad, etc).

I can understand why they've focused more on shooting in this one, as the shooting itself is much improved over FO3. I use VATS way less. I actually probably use VATS more on enemies with much lower levels, as it's a guaranteed one shot kill, and I can save bullets without spraying wide if I didn't use it. Of the three factions, I'm finding the Railroad the most interesting, mainly because what they're doing is a bit more complex in story terms. The Minutemen I find totally boring. And the BOS seem like wankers, despite their good intentions.

But I agree the notable lack of more story driven quests that don't involve violence is a touch disappointing.

My last few plays of this have all been storming the various Raider/Super Mutant encampments in and around Diamond City with Piper (In her snazzy red dress) and I'm enjoying it. Just done the tower full of Super Mutants and kicked ass with my combat shotgun.

I'm the same as most of you in terms of mainline quest stuff and not bothering with it. Just can't be bothered and the side quests seem far more entertaining.

I think the karma and faction systems probably used to help spur the developers creativity on that front, because if you generally had to have good & evil outcomes and/or ones which would make particular factions turn against you if handled too harshly it prompted them to include a lot of non-violent solutions (or at least make the route to violence more complex than "Go there and wipe them all out").

Yeah, if the dlc's are more of the same then I just wont be bothering. The main game has enough of that without having to pay extra for it.

Still think FO3 is the best of the FPS versions of Fallout in my opinion. It just handled everything better and with more options available for finishing quests. This feels like a step forward with the crafting/settlement stuff, and the gunplay being revised, but a step back in the way quests are handled. Bit disappointing.

Got a shitload of money (more than I know what to do with if truth be told, I'm just buying amazing weapons from vendors at this point) I found one weapon to be rather overpowered.]

I found the same thing and it is my main go to weapon, thus I conserve loads of ammo. I beefed it up, after reading some advice on here I think, with the BLITZ perk which extends melee attack range while in VATS and I've noticed it's chainable so, for example, I can enconter a group of enemies, enter VATS, target someone about 20ft away with a couple of hits THEN target someone about 40ft away with the next couple of hits and just riff on that till I'm out of VATS points, it feels like awesome matrix style kung fu!

Does the armour value of the things you make companions wear actually help them? I think they are invincible... but does it help to prevent them from "falling down" and needing a stimpak?

One of the many, many, many bits of crappy design in this game is that the "Take everything" command takes everything you gave your companion, including the extra bits you made them wear. :facepalm: So there's no point purposely equipping them with good bits of armour because you'll just have to fiddle with it every time.

I have exclusively used the Silver Shroud costume as my armour for most of the 30 hours or so I have played. Just curious as to what you guys use, I tend to discard the various 'parts' of armour I pick up from raiders or whatever, perhaps I should instead be modding those?

I've got a Cargo pants/T-Shirt/Jacket under armor with tier 3 ballistic weave

Synth add on pieces - all max dam res and deep pocketed

+Char Glasses

+ Per Army tap cap

post-11679-0-88773800-1450707891_thumb.j

I liked the Silver Shroud one, but even with the upgrades you get for it, it doesn't come close to a similar level of protection.

I have exclusively used the Silver Shroud costume as my armour for most of the 30 hours or so I have played. Just curious as to what you guys use, I tend to discard the various 'parts' of armour I pick up from raiders or whatever, perhaps I should instead be modding those?

I've also used only this for 120 odd hours of playing! If you didn't know you can get it upgraded when you're at Levels 25, 35 and 45 if you visit

and speak to Kent at the Silver Shroud radio in the Memory Den, provided you saved him

I have been picking up and modding armour and throwing different things together, as I go along, with the result that I now have armour which I feel is quite effective (though I haven't really compared it to anything else, particularly the one-piece things like Silver Shroud or Railroad Coats). But it looks totally shit - like a guy who has just wandered the wastelands sticking random bits of metal to his body basically !

(I have chameleon metal chest plate and chameleon metal left leg, Lucky raiders right let, mutant slaying right arm, time slowing combat armour left arm, a fedora and sunglasses )

Could really do with finding some chameleon gear that isn't metal to be honest.

I've also used only this for 120 odd hours of playing! If you didn't know you can get it upgraded when you're at Levels 25, 35 and 45 if you visit

and speak to Kent at the Silver Shroud radio in the Memory Den, provided you saved him

My Silver Shroud quest was utterly borked last time I looked - it was telling me to search a body, where no body was appearing on my map (in a random patch of empty wasteland) and I couldn't progress it any further than that. Only quest that's flaked out on my so far (and which I haven't been able to sort out with a quick load of a save game).

That's odd, all of my companions are in the Castle. I don't think about 5 of them have beds either but they're all there.

Have you done Curie's missions etc, or is this on first meeting of her? I really liked her in the end actually, I thought she was going to be lame but she's got some brilliant lines that amused me while pottering about and her mission was actually quite good.

Have the quest for her, but not been able to do it as not progressed the story. She literally flew back to Vault 81, despite us being at The Castle when I told her to go there. I panicced the first time, as apparently there's a bug where she can "die" when travelling on her own, and reloaded an earlier save (which lost me time) but yeah she was just at vault 81 :facepalm:

I've been wandering around in Grognak's loincloth and a pair of aviators. I like to think it strikes fear into my enemy's.

I've been wandering around in Grognak's loincloth and a pair of aviators. I like to think it strikes fear into my enemy's.

Its a shame the Silver Shroud quest didn't have an alternative where you could be Grognak instead. The machine gun you use as the Shroud is utter cack whereas the axe apparently hits like a truck.

You can dress companions in alternate outfits..? Seem to of totally missed that!

Yup, you can pretty much piece together armour on them like you do yourself. For instance, I have Piper dressed in Raider leathers, combat armour, and a sailor's cap with some aviator shades. She looks dead cool.