Fallout 4 - VR Coming Soon

Uzi

They seem to have shown everything they want to show before release, the perk system, the crafting, criticals etc... I think everything else they clearly want to leave to surprise, it's refreshing actually to not have already seen all the gameplay elements and in game areas in contrast to something like Just Cause where there's been gameplay videos around now for months.

I thought the trailer visuals were ok but figured at least we knew we weren't being sold a load of tosh. To think that they can't get that level of fidelity out of a PS4 is slightly disappointing.

That said, the real acid test is when it's running on your TV in front of you, so we'll see.

Yeah, this was a bit of a nasty surprise to me as well. E3 looked about right for an open world game on current gen consoles. I got through a few of these new shots feeling as Uzi did above, disappointed in the bluriness but ok, until I hit that view from the top of the hill and just...glah! Urgh.

There was an interesting comment on the Fallout Reddit where a poster described the recommended specs for P.C and the specs of current gen consoles. PS4 and XBox One squeak in at minimum, barely, so it makes me wonder if they'll even see any of the improvements like volumetric lighting that Howard mentioned.

The shots are oddly blurry for supposed 1080p so they're likely some poor quality captures, but hype has been squashed until we get some more footage/screens of the console versions to quell/confirm my worst fears. Can't believe I fell for the old E3 P.C version switcheroo, a ruse so hackneyed it would make Amiga Power blush.

It might be fairer to take a shot of Fallout 3 that isn't clearly a poorly recompressed image with all its colours blown out and greened-up (look at the IGN logo, for goodness' sake - it looks like somebody's tried to photograph a tv screen with an IGN trailer on it). This is what Fallout 3 actually looked like on 360:

fallout-3-xbox-360-4.jpg

Well the point was using a heavily compressed image vs heavily compressed console images (I grabbed that in about ten seconds and the other image shots looked like pc captures and I searched with the word gameplay which is why I didn't see that) which the ps4 jpegs are

Here are PNG's of the game, fair to say they look a bit better hmm?

Fallout4_20151031152303.png

Fallout4_20151031152920.png

Fallout4_20151031151930.pngFallout4_20151031152517.png

Fallout4_20151031142801.png

Fallout4_20151031145033.png

Hopefully it avoids another really fucking boring "oh the game looks terrible" roundabout which was pretty much most of the discussion after the trailer reveal. It's a Bethesda open world game, considering the density and open nature of what they contain, it looks good. That isn't to say it is the best looking game in the world but there was GENUINE hyperbole with loads of idiots thinking it doesn't look much better than Fallout 3. Even Wiper's better sourced Fallout 3 pic looks a generation behind what this is, which is the actual case so good!

Do they need to? We've already seen plenty of gameplay. And showing stuff just before release hasn't prevented bait and switch downgrades in the past or hidden issues (Nvidia were showing off Batman Arkham Knight stuff that wasn't possible just before release for the PC), I'm personally sick of overexposure of stuff before it comes out, but then I'm the type of guy to go dark on stuff after a point to no spoil things. The embargo still lifts before release so reviews will still come out before you have to buy it.

I don't need more information for a purchase decision, they had me at todd howard, and reviews can fuck off. games media is increasingly pointless. but it's just so odd the way the release of this game is being handled. it is weird isn't it? they don't need to do anything I guess but why wouldn't they. I just don't get it. i am assuming fallout is bethesta's most valuable property. I feel I am significantly plugged in and don't even know how vats works in this game. all the info I have is from e3. mainstream gamers are not even going to know if this game is old or new when they see it in tesco with their wheatabix.

VATS works like Fallout 3 but instead of stopping time, it slows it down. It is unusual for such a high profile game to not have as much media blaring out close to launch, but I don't find it particularly sinister or suspect. Maybe they've decided their main userbase is already suitably plugged in and on board and don't want to spend a tonne of marketing dollars for preaching to the converted? My point is, the large amount of stuff at E3 seemed enough for me. Showed clear in game footage, showed how combat works, showed some of the prologue and character creation, showed some of the new base building etc and showed some locations. I also doubt a huge number of Fallout sales come from impulse decisions while shopping in tesco from people who wouldn't even know what it is and somehow some trailers a bit before launch changing that.

don't get me wrong please . I don't suspect absolutely anything re game quality. i am not worried about graphics either. i know I will see this on my home tv and will have a two week erection. but there's something weird about their marketing plan. very weird. I don't think this is a wise decision either in respect of mainstream sales which fallout had plenty of.the lack of normal marketing materials is what's causing all the tin foil hat speculation. i am a tiny bit worried about bethesta financially and/or their relationship with todd's team. something is going on.

vat is a good example. i am sure vat is much improved and the only change isn't that time doesn't stop. for example I would expect more of an incentive for going for something other than a head shot and weapons that favour other kinds of attacks like aiming at someone's gun for example. or targetting things in the environment. yet they have said nothing.

i have one friend for example who plays no games other than fallout. he played a shit ton of fallout btw. like a silly amount. i am thinking about that chap in particular. he now has two kids. when i told him a new one was coming out he was dumbfounded. he doesn't know what e3 is. given the sales of fallout 3 compared to the number of rllmuk members. i am guessing there are more of those than there are of us. we are all converted but you just have to let people know your game is coming out. what the fuck?

I've seen the Lone Wanderer advert on mainstream primetime tv several times in the past week so they are marketing it, the difference is they aren't flooding gaming sites with footage or story elements which is fine I think. They did the special videos which were fun and amusing and also serve the purpose of retaining mystery about the games full contents. I find it odd that people are complaining about a lack of marketing, Bethesda can obviously get an idea of what they need to do from pre-orders and this is clearly a big one as I've had emails from Tesco and other non-gaming shops offering pre orders for it so I don't buy this people don't know it's coming out stuff. Then there is all the beer and nuka-cola product placement stuff (which personally I don't like) but this all amounts to a big marketing campaign to me but one that is being controlled by Bethesda and not gaming sites/youtubers.

by weird I guess I mean atypical. I can't think of any other game this expensive to make that then comes out without any games media coverage which is based on: interviews with developers, previews, game assets being shared, features being revealed every week, magazine covers, etc. whatever our opinion may be on the front page of IGN being devoted to this one gun in black ops which no one gives a fuck about. there's a reason why games are marketed that way. and i can't believe they have chosen to do without. there's a reason beyond we don't need to. it is not the game's quality I am sure. this game was announced this year! then nothing.