Interstellar - Christopher Nolan Directing - Nov 2014

Yeah, I went watching it in the Manchester IMAX last night and thought it was their fault the sound levels were off. It was difficult to hear what was being said in places.

Thought it was pretty disappointing myself.

There were a few occasions where I struggled to even hear the dialogue over the din.

Ah, I thought it was the crappy cinema that we were in as opposed the soundtrack , suppose it added to the sense of chaos that the scenes were portraying to an extent?

I thought everything seemed signposted too much. Even the more out there stuff like

the "ghost" being future dad sending messages back and "they" being future human civilisation

seemed predictable early on.

Having said that, I still enjoyed it a lot. Even when I thought I knew what was coming, the ride to get there was enjoyable. I worried when the robot was introduced, but I ended up loving them. The weird bastards.

2001 + Bourne Identity + Short Circuit + Gravity = Interstellar

Massive "rrrrrrriiiiiighhhtt.....so this is where this film is going" moment when they defrosted Matt Damon

Total and blatant rip off of 2001, and easily an hour too long. Technically brilliant - but I'd not watch it again.

6/10

No idea how the hell this is rating so highly on IMDB at the moment??

Saw this at the Waterloo IMAX yesterday. I really didn't think it was that great. The worse Nolan film I've seen.

Dialogue felt forced in places and I'm not a fan of some of the casting. Yes, it looks nice etc etc, but then it should.

Afterwards a few of us agreed we didn't think we would ever feel the urge to see it again, especially as it would be at home. Oh well. I was kinda prepared for this as I'd heard the vibe of some of the early reviews. Colliders review nails it for me.

I just saw it at the BFI IMAX. If I hadn't seen it there I think I'd be much more disappointed with it.

Visually it's pretty great throughout, but the plot is so drab and drawn out that I don't really know if I found it enjoyable. I guessed the 'twist' very early, and from that point on was really hoping that I was wrong because it seemed such a predictable way to take the story.

The silence of space was a welcome rest from the almost constant drone of the impending doom soundtrack, which seemed to be trying to force every scene to feel poignant and epic. It just made me feel drained by the end of it.

Whilst there were some individual moments I liked, overall I thought this was pretty disappointing. It was like someone watched 2001 and decided that what it really needed was less sense of wonder and lots and lots of dry technobabble exposition instead.

I agree with both of your assessments 100%.

I agree with both of your assessments 100%.

I also agree with these assessments. Saw it at an IMAX on Saturday night. Some spectacular scenes mixed with really odd pacing and plot devices that didn't really work . I thought McConaghy was actually pretty good overall.

Interesting decision from Hans Zimmer to base his score around the brown note as well.

I thought it was alright. It felt very emotional in some parts and I felt for Cooper having to leave his daughter in that way, however I loved the robots more than anything - I want one. :(

Bonus points for the black hole part. It was somewhat similarly represented in the way I try to interpret my mushroom trip to others.

It's a heavily flawed movie, mostly down to some utterly clunky dialogue, heavy exposition and a fairly weak third act. It also doesn't as much pull the heart strings as yank them (though some of it worked for me if i have to be honest). But man, I really dug the space stuff and the robots and Matthew was good, as he always seems to be these days. Saw it in IMAX which made a difference no doubt.

It also made me buy Kip Thorne's book about the science of the film.

I enjoyed it a lot, I think. I was in just the right mood for it, so was quite happy to sit there and soak it up for the three hours.

Didn't quite have that AMAZING feel that I was hoping for, but it's certainly a great film.

Quite looking forward to seeing it again, actually.

Just returned from my first IMAX session (since, ironically going to NASA in 96!) - The sound, oh my, what a fucking glorious racket.

Like others here, I think the mix was off, but I thought there was plenty of room for atmosphere to breathe (it wasn't scored to death). The score itself was the like the bastard child of Phillip Glass (a la Konyanaquatsi) and Kubricks "2001" score. I would of liked it to be a bit more original as it was definately a sly nod-and-a-wink to both.

Overall I liked it, although found the space sequences, especially around the ships themselves (and how many there where, seemed that for reasons of the plot another one just seemed to appear!?!) a bit confusing. Although the brief explanation of worm holes was good enough, the time lapse near the black hole was a confusing mess. (this also happened for me in Inception during the "ice" stage).

But full marks for going where most films don't bother to go.

I really liked it and I well'd up a couple of times. But I did start to zone out at the end so can someone explain

where they were at the end? The Halo they're on is the construct Brand Snr was building at Nasa (Plan A) and they were able to launch into space with the data Cooper got inside the singularity? So how much Earth time passed while Cooper was inside the singularity? And how come Brand Jnr hadn't aged? She was on Earth time right?

I really liked it and I well'd up a couple of times. But I did start to zone out at the end so can someone explain

where they were at the end? The Halo they're on is the construct Brand Snr was building at Nasa (Plan A) and they were able to launch into space with the data Cooper got inside the singularity? So how much Earth time passed while Cooper was inside the singularity? And how come Brand Jnr hadn't aged? She was on Earth time right?

At the end, they're on a space station near the wormhole, so it looks like the data helped them evacuate Earth. The doctors mention that Cooper is 124 years old, so a little under a century has passed since Cooper left Earth. Brand Jnr hasn't aged because the planet she's on is subject to the same time dilation effect the first planet was. It's one of the reasons they decide to go to Matt Damon's planet instead of that one.

I thought Brand

hadn't aged because she'd been near the event horizon of the black hole with Cooper (with associated time dilation) during the final escape sequence. Cooper didn't seem to have aged at the end either, so I assume the black hole was the cause.

If the desert planet was subject to the same time dilation effect as the water planet, then surely just Brand landing on the planet and setting up home would have taken centuries of time in from the perspective of someone not in the heavily curved space-time?

Really enjoyed this! (IMAX definitely adds to the more bombastic scenes of the film)

I thought it was a bit on the nose with certain parts and the "love transcends all dimensions" stuff unnecessary to say the least but otherwise thoroughly enjoyable. I loved the way the handled the ending sequence and was wondering how they'd do that. Very satisfying.

I also love how these new Sci-Fi films don't bother with too much explanation of 'cool future gadgetry'. They focus more on the characters and world building. I don't care how the tech works to power a thingymajig or a whatyamacallit. It's there and it doesn't interfere with the story. It also makes it so the film won't age as badly as some older sci-fi titles. Me likey.

Well I thought this was kick ass. The family stuff could have been done better and the score was a bit vuvuzella however I was thoroughly entertained. Plus relatively was done well.

How long did it take to realise it wasn't?

yet still manages some boneheaded moments.

"Youre the best pilot we ever had, Cooper"

I don't like the way Nolan uses Michael Caine. He does this reserved, patrician thing that doesn't really suit him. Michael Caine should be cheeky. Bit of a geezah.