rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
LaParka

OCTGN

Stumbled across this program whilst watching someone play a game of Android Netrunner on youtube.

http://www.octgn.net/

Its something like a shell which just holds the data for the cards. You install the 'game' to OCTGN so it has some of the games mechanics but it doesn't enforce rules.

I've been using it to play LOTR because for solo play I can't be bothered getting the cards out rejigging the decks etc.

you can also create a deck in cardgamedb and export it as a file which loads in octgn

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html

There is a Netrunner game but the cards currently available has the text blurred. If you have the patience you can scan your own cards in and use them that way.

• Upvote 3

Because of OCTGN i've played more games of LOTR in the last few days than since I bought the game!

I'm being good and so far i've only used cards for which i've bought expansions for.

Its just such a neat little programme. The only downside is you have to be online to use it otherwise i'd be playing it at work too....

I downloaded it so I could play Doomtown/V:TES against a friend that lives at the other end of the country but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It looks really good though.

I've not used OCTGN for a while and it seems there is a major update underway at the moment.

Looked at a couple of alternatives. I like playing Magic but the cost is eye watering at times. Especially when you just want to have a quick blast with some cards. I hate tinkering with a deck and then realising the card I really need is either stupid expensive or I have to go and get bot credit.

Tried a program called Lackey a while back and found it really awkward to use. Its not pretty. Re-installed it yesterday and looked at the Magic plug-in and it just works. Can play online if you know peoples username. Good for testing as you can play a dummy hand against yourself.

http://www.lackeyccg.com/

Theres no chat box and the rules aren't enforced. It brings the problem up that you would probably have to skype your opponent or find a mutual chat box to go through your turn.