The best FPS

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Inspired by the Half Life 2 discussion in the Edge thread, what are your favourite FPS games and why?

When I think back on the FPS games I've played, I think my favourite FPS game of old must be Goldeneye, which rewarded tactical play, had loads of objectives besides shooting your foes and was amazingly atmospheric. An amazing and complete package, even the difficulty levels and secondary objectives that came with it were well thought out.

In more recent times it's probably Bulletstorm. Completely over the top, but so amazingly well crafted and such a joy to play. From the dudebro oneliners to the various 'styles' of killing baddies, it just worked. I've played through it at least 3 times, and it just never gets stale.

Honourable mentions go to The Chronicle of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Condemned, but it's debatable if they're actually proper FPS games. They're amazing in their atmosphere and tension though, and I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Anyway, let's not bicker about good games and bad games, just post to sell your favourite FPS to the rest of the forum in an attempt to get them to actually play it.

Timesplitters and Killzone 1. Me and a few buddies played TS1 almost religiously at University just when the PS2 came out. And killzone was the first FPS I ever played online. Had a great group of people in our clan, and we ended up becoming EU champs. Probably still the most time I've ever sunk into a video game

Sell it people. Don't just list titles.

I reckon each of the games on my list did something revolutionary or moved the genre forward significantly. Everyone has played them all to death so no point telling people what they already know.. ;)

Hard one. I have a soft spot for XIII. Although it isn't perfect, there is a lot of variation in levels and some nice stealth sections and I do love the cel shading and overall presentation.

If I could only have one, perhaps I'd go Medal of Honor Frontline (PS2) Recently re-played this and its nothing short of amazing.

I remember starting it, thinking some of the visuals look a bit ropey, then they get better, and before you know it, it settles into some sort of consistency.

The game and the levels and the story. Just brilliant. Can't think of a FPS that is better than MOH frontline this gen, Lord knows I've tried enough of the pap.

The operative : No one lives forever, is worth a Play (PS2)

Killzone, 'best' FPS? Sorry but :lol:. I'm sure you had a whale of a time on it, this isn't a personal attack, but Quake 3 / Unreal Tourny / COD MW1 / Halo / Goldeneye all look down upon the Killzone series.

Oh I know that it's not the best FPS ever by a long shot, but it's the one I've probably had most fun playing. Quite a decent technical achievement on the PS2, if you ignore the rather sombre colour palette.

I forgot to add:

Portal 2 - best co op FPS experience. Will you help each other to finish the room? Or will you fuck each over for giggles?

Borderlands 1/2 - moar loot!! And Gearbox have probably released some of the best post launch DLC around

I'm not enough of a FPS fan to really contribute to this thread - I much prefer third person shooters - but I just had to plus Woo's post. Great read.

There's sooooooo many I've left out too but I didn't want to be here typing all night, but those are just off the top of my head. I admittedly really do have a thing for first person melee games which is why there's so many up there. Damn you dad for showing me Wolf 3D all them years ago! :lol:

Recently played a bit of Black on the original Xbox, and although I'm pretty poor at them in general it seemed pretty good.

Looking good, nice and loud too. Shame about the unskipable cut scenes, that's probably any I gave up years ago.

Oh I know that it's not the best FPS ever by a long shot, but it's the one I've probably had most fun playing. Quite a decent technical achievement on the PS2, if you ignore the rather sombre colour palette.

I forgot to add:

Portal 2 - best co op FPS experience. Will you help each other to finish the room? Or will you fuck each over for giggles?

Borderlands 1/2 - moar loot!! And Gearbox have probably released some of the best post launch DLC around

I knew you were getting at personal preference, it's cool :) And as I worked on Borderlands 1 and 2, you get +1 from me :)

Mirror's Edge.

It's got that unique feel to it, if you follow. The campaigns short enough to not outstay its welcome and that's on top of the stellar design, sound and atmosphere. Quality shit.

And a tip of the hat to Metro 2033.

Insane amount of atmosphere in that one. Day one for Last Light.

Mirror's Edge.

It's got that unique feel to it, if you follow. The campaigns short enough to not outstay its welcome and that's on top of the stellar design, sound and atmosphere.

Quality shit.

Shit yes! Forgot that one from my list too. Another great use of the first person viewpoint. I'll also mention Dead Island for its fantastic first person melee combat as well but I won't go altering my main post yet again :lol:

I have a strange fondness for Alien Trilogy. Great level design in terms of secrets and freedom to explore, plus an atmospheric and gamey soundtrack in an era before licenced titles became beholden to their Hollywood source material.

Bonus points for great early CD-ROM FMV.

Yeah good call for Mirror's Edge. Its so fresh.

Can't really say i've formed much of an opinion on the others.

I think Stalker probably. More errie then Hl2 (which was i did enjoy) and i love errie.

I like how it draws you in and my god it was creepy at times. And the amount of times i ran out of Bulllets and had to make with som crow bar or something to hit with.

That was a amazing. Utterly amazing. the ultimate Sci-Fi game let alone FPS.

Theres nothing like it.

I liked Dead Island as well but never finished it.

It has to be Quake, either the first or the third and I'm only talking about the multiplayer. First and foremost, the engine was perfect, the movement, weight and physics all combined to make the very best twitch shooter. The weapons were incredibly satisfying, (the railgun has never been bettered, fact) and there were just the right amount, every single one served a purpose and contributed to the pure gameplay. But the other thing that made the series, and there's no real way of saying it without sounding like a bit of a prick, is that you had to be there, back in '96 - '99, when online gaming was still very niche. Communities were incredibly tight, you had Wireplay which I think was maybe a tenner a month, on top of your monthly ISP charge and not forgetting you were paying by the minute too. My phone bills were horribly expensive, not to mention the phone line was always tied up, but my god it was exciting back then. It felt like the future, because that's it exactly what it was. Barrysworld was another fantastic community, I can remember sitting on IRC the day they went under, everyone hoping there would be some last play to save them. Back then, you could log on a server and recognise most the names, reputations and grudges were formed that would last years. It really was an amazing time to be a gamer, everything was fresh and exciting, people weren't jaded, original mods like Team Fortress were coming out, some incredible maps from the like of the 3Wave guys, it really was awesome.

Quake 3 is the only correct answer.

Visceral, immediate and razor sharp.

The perfect twitch shooter. It is ultimately married to fast reaction, the spin and shoot. Knowing the arenas and knowing the circuits to take to kill all and take the prize. Juggling weapons as you pass from area to area.

In terms of being a pure "first person shooter" there is nothing better out there.

Discussion end

Edit: what hoot said as well, just perfection. Rail gun is unsurpassed and other weapons almost as perfect. You can disagree if you like you would be wrong.

I am now. A flabby middle aged gamer with shit reactions... Stick me on Quake 3 and the old twitch and shoot reactions bed in within minutes. Carmacs finest hour, he'll never equal it

Ha, I can remember a weekend a ways back of just hammering through Alien Trilogy and Exhumed. Both blew my fuckin' mind at the time and were damn hard games.

Exhumed was a late JP import if memory serves and its title nearly killed me as much as the game - Pharaoh no Fukkatsu!

Quake 3. I think I wrote a longer love-in somewhere years ago, but it just streamlines the arena design (bounce pads and accelerators in place of ladders and lifts) so well and has guns and physics that are exaggerated enough to encourage tricks like rocket-jumping and plasma-climbing. The control was tuned to perfection; you could flick your wrist to one side and turn a perfect 180 degrees every time, and the amount of precision on offer made the railgun all the more appealing. I've played a few iterations of the game over the years - the PC original, the DC game, the PS2 game, Quake Live, the XBLA version - and it still remains a brilliant example of first-person shooter goodness to this day.

Far Cry - I was a poor chef back in 2004, but my mum wanted a new PC so I searched around, did a little research and put together a bit of a beast for her budget. Then I read a GamesTM review of Far Cry. I was very much a console gamer at that point, but I picked this up and played it through at my mums on this new pc with my jaw on the fucking floor untill the last but where it just got stupid and I gave up.

Absolutely amazing game till that last bit though and still my favourite fps. I think part of the reason I have such fond memories is all the brews with two's my mum kept bringing though.

In terms of pure satisfaction my favourite will always be PC Soldier of Fortune 2. Yes it's demented and sick, but I don't care. It's the most satisfying shooter bar none. If Paul Verhoeven made videogames, it's the sort of thing I imagine he'd come up with. I haven't played it for about a decade so it's probably mega shit now but loved it at the time. I miss the kind of detail on corpses they put in back in the day. Far Cry was amazing for this - snipe a guy from 50m away, run over, climb the sniper tower and you'd still have the bullet hole so you could inspect your handywork.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is probably my favourite first-person game with no shooting, unless we forgive the Portal games. I think it's one of the few games which explores the idea of vulnerability in a way only the first-person perspective can, something we hardly ever see in the FPS genre.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is probably my favourite first-person game with no shooting, unless we forgive the Portal games. I think it's one of the few games which explores the idea of vulnerability in a way only the first-person perspective can, something we hardly ever see in the FPS genre.

Well by definition it isn't an FPS.

I knew you were getting at personal preference, it's cool :) And as I worked on Borderlands 1 and 2, you get +1 from me :)

OK., now you HAVE to tell me what you did on Borderlands? *hopes he says he thought up Crawmerax/Scooter/Moxxi/Torgue* *hopes he doesn't say "did the voice over for Claptrap"*