The best FPS

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Halo, obviously. As if I'd say anything else.

It redefined so many things when it came out and it's still not been bettered over 10 years on. The weapon balance is perfect, the combat arenas are great fun and the AI is still easily the best in any FPS.

I honestly don't know how anyone could think any other FPS could be better. I've tried so many over the years in the hope of finding something that captures a similar magic, but nothing has come close.

Well by definition it isn't an FPS.

That's why I think this thread should be more about first person games rather than just shooters. Games like Amnesia are great reasons why a first person viewpoint can be so effective, especially in this case which is horror. I still have no desire to play more of it yet :ph34r:

Single player - Serious Sam. I couldn't care less about story, so it's all down to the guns and enemies and design and these are generally pretty bloody good.

After that it's Halo. There's more story and clutter than I'd like, but again the guns and enemies and design are bloody good.

I've considered the idea of creating a Frankenstein's FPS before now - taking the best weapons and enemies from all FPS games to make the best single game. Most of mine would probably come from those two.

Multiplayer - not my bag of late, but if pressed Quake 3 (preferably with Painkeep mod).

Counterstrike wins.

This would be my number 2...

Not perfect the gunplay is a little too mechanical lacks an organic feel.

But the learning of pinch points the balance of risk and reward and the brutal finality of each round is poetry.

Lots of people see some variant of COD as being the ultimate fps (multiplayer). they talk of loadouts and perks and prestige. they worry about set dressing that obfuscates the purity of fps

i pity them :)

Unreal Tournament 99. No doubt Quake 3 was a more skilled game but it was just much more boring than UT. Fighting on trains, subs, spaceships and even in outer space. I can't even remember a level from Q3. The way the sniper rifle felt, the shock rifle, flak cannon and the rocket launcher plus their alternate functions was just sublime. Domination, Capture the Flag, Assault. The amount of fun I had with this offline was unparalled at the time. Online was probably a different matter but I didn't have a connection back then. The last one I played was UT2003 but it didn't feel the same sadly.

Doom. I've said it before but this has only gotten better with age. I actually didn't think anything of it at the time. It and Quake gave me a seasickness effect. Playing through it on the ipad on the hardest mode showcases the clever and playful level design which stuff like Serious Sam can only ape and not surpass.

I played UT as well as Q3 back in the day (UT doesn't need the 99 in my world :) it was a good shooter and some wrongly claimed it was better than q3 :)

The weapons and strategies were different but they simply embellished and added "noise" to a perfect system.

The weapons riffed off q3 but lacked the purity again.

And loads said that q3 was boring. If you don't get the purity and want the "fluff" of UT then that's cool :) rail gun only longest yard not memorable? Pah I say!!!

It is about 10 years since I had a fanboy banter about q3 vs UT (old wireplay forums) hehe

mr_woo, hoot, and other Quake fans, did you ever play Quake Headhunters? It was a fantastic multiplayer mod.

You would pick up someone's head by running over their corpse, then spike them on an altar to get a point. But here's the magic: if you spiked two heads at once, you'd get four points; three heads, nine points, and so on. So you'd want to collect ten, twenty heads, as many as you could - but if someone killed you, they - or someone running over you - could collect all those heads and get all the points instead. Really fast-paced, incredibly tense and exciting game.

And if I remember right you could float around as a ghostly head before you respawned.

CoD4: MW - 360 - My most played FPS of all time. Single player was excellent, online was an absolute game changer that simply no FPS can match and most games stole the perks aspect. One of the all time greats.

Borderlands 2 - 360 - The first was great, the second is excellent. Online co-op with a focus on shooting as opposed to aiming, full on insane guns and stats.

Perfect Dark - XBLA - Most people bring up Goldeneye. They haven't played Goldeneye, recently. It's a mess. Perfect Dark improved on it in every way, and whilst dated, the Xbox live HD update is quality.

Portal 2 - 360 - I applaud whoever brought this up, completely slipped my mind. Genius game, great voice acting, superb campaign and co-op. Thoroughly look forward to a sequel.

Battlefield 3 - 360 - The game of the moment. Stunning visuals, large scale and a focus on mental skills as well as physical. The amount of emergence associated with the game is simply genius and hilarious. The only shame is that I play the inferior console version.

Timesplitters 2 - PS2 - This is the last FPS I can think of that got me and three mates playing on a single screen. Spiritual sequel to Goldeneye/PD yes, but did enough with the visuals and game modes to have it's own place.

Rainbow 6: Vegas - 360 - This slipped my mind and when I think about it, it's probably the most skilful FPS I have ever come across. Team based objectives where cover is king and a nice blend between FPS and 3rd person (I hate online 3rd person, with a passion).

That is an awesome list, if I do say so myself.

Perfect Dark

The level design, the precision aiming, the even more precise hit detection (try zooming in to a dead body with the sniper rifle and then trace around the polys), the handling, the fluidity, the Combat Simulator, the music, the sound design ('Combat Boosted' gunfire audio is on par with the slo-mo shoot-outs from Django Unchained, a 2013 movie FFSs), the HUGE selection of weapons, the gadgets, the speed runs, the varied mission structure (I pity people that only completed it on Agent), the well written mission briefings.. there is absolutely nothing shit, or even good about it - everything is fucking perfection, every last bit of it.

Whenever I play a console FPS to this day, I'm always scrutinising it to see if it ticks all of the above check-boxes. Nothing has done so far. And thus, I'm not a fan of console FPS (I do like my HL2 and CS).

I've also never had so much fun with a multiplayer title, even now after the advent of online gaming.

I can't believe people fisted it for having aliens on the last couple of levels, and then go on to finger-fuck the likes of Halo with the other hand.

Quake 1 was amazing at the time. It has a very atmospheric single player (I'm sure I am not the only one to run away from a Shambler on the first encounter) and was a great introduction to online gaming for me.

Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis also stands out in my memory because of the freedom, scale and variety of the missions. Arma 1 was a bit of a misstep, but they definitely recaptured the magic in Arma 2.

Bad Company 2 and BF3, both for their fantastic Multiplayer,

And more recently Planetside 2 which is something like a 3 sided Battlefield with 2000 players. I like that you can join a squad, spawn near the frontline and get straight into the action, be a pilot dropping troops of to flank enemy lines or sneak behind enemy lines, hack terminals and spawn sunderers to covertly take over enemy bases. The constant ebb and flow of the battle is amazing - but it definitely requires that you join a good squad or platoon.

Definitely Bad Company 2. Battlefield 3 is a great game, and in some ways better, but nothing beats tagging a troublesome Apache with a tracer dart, and watching three or four Carl Gustavs arcing up to take out the doomed pilot. Plus the map design was (IMO) greatly superior.

I loved Perfect Dark too, I probably spent more time on the shooting range attempting maximum scores alone than I played some fullprice games. In places it asked a bit too much from the poor old N64 though.

I would go with Halo, it was indeed a game-changer, were it not for the bulletsponging. I like fast 2-3 shot kills rather than emtying clips in enemies who won't go down. I know this could be reduced by picking the "right" weapon, but still...

That made Rainbow Six great: both yourself and the enemy are super powerful and vulnerable at the same time.

That's why I think this thread should be more about first person games rather than just shooters. Games like Amnesia are great reasons why a first person viewpoint can be so effective, especially in this case which is horror. I still have no desire to play more of it yet :ph34r:

Why not start a new general first person games thread then? I'm sure they can happily co-exist. Gives me a place to gush about Fallout 3 too.

That's why I think this thread should be more about first person games rather than just shooters. Games like Amnesia are great reasons why a first person viewpoint can be so effective, especially in this case which is horror.

Come on, we solved this ages ago. Just call shooters "shooters" regardless of perspective, and any games that happen to be first person but aren't about shooting, like Minecraft, aren't shooters. The weird FP, TP stuff is from another age, ignore it.

Breakdown - This was one of these games that I really didn't know very much about, it was on the Xbox, was a Namco game and it was a first person game. Knowing that japanese developers don't tend to make first person games that much I jumped on it. What I got was one of the stangest but most unique experiences ever. It was one of the first stabs I remember at a first person melee game. Punches, special moves, kicks etc. It wasn't perfect, it was flawed in many ways but it started my love for melee based combat in a first person game.

YES! Finally someone else who appreciates the game. It actually felt quite a bit ahead of its time, with its Mirrors Edge style POV and really weighty hand to hand combat.

Couple from me:

Call of Duty 2

Haven't played it in years but still remember it vividly as bring a fantastic single player game, and incredibly satisfying to beat on veteran! Basically paved the way for the annual updates we are now receiving (haven't played another CoD since CoD:MW)

Bulletstorm

Just for offering something a bit unique, the ability for combat combos and score attack really bought this game into it own..Also had some incredible set pieces, inventive weapons, great characters (despite the Dudebro appearance of it all) and one of the best "on-rails" shooting sections I can remember.

Other notable "but obvious" choices would be Doom, Quake, Halo CE and Deus Ex (if that counts) all for doing their own bit in redefining the genre and paving the way for others to forward.

This thread is also making me want to go and play Perfect Dark.. Unbelievably I've never properly played it (past the opening few minutes) despite owning it on N64 and XBLA.

Ooh, good thread. I've dipped in and out of gaming over the years, so there's going to be some big games I missed.

Doom 2 just completely blew me away the first time I played it. After 2d shooters on the Amiga this was a complete revelation.

Star Trek Voyager - Elite Force was another memorable game - my first foray into online multiplayer and as a bit of a Trek nerd this ate up a huge amount of time.

In more recent years all the CODs from Modern Warfare on. WaW was one of the first PS3 games I played and showed what a jump there had been from the XBox.

OK., now you HAVE to tell me what you did on Borderlands? *hopes he says he thought up Crawmerax/Scooter/Moxxi/Torgue* *hopes he doesn't say "did the voice over for Claptrap"*

Oh, I wish I was even that important. I worked in QA. Sorry to burst your bubble :mellow:

Campaign is Halo CE or Goldeneye, and multiplayer is Halo (2, probably) or Battlefield/Bad Company.

Most overrated FPS would be Half-Life 2 for campaign, and COD4 for multiplayer. Neither are awful or anything, but you can't call them great when they're on the same scale as Halo or Battlefield.