The best FPS

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

Oh, I wish I was even that important. I worked in QA. Sorry to burst your bubble :mellow:

Don't worry, my bubble is still wholly intact.

I loved Bioshock, such a break from the endless FPS MP I was playing at the time. Bioshock 2 pissed me off though by not having an invert Y axis option.

One of my favourite single player FPS games is Bioshock and here's why

I love Bioshock. But as an FPS its incredibly bad. The weapons are all uniformly awful and handle pretty crappily. everything else about it tho, fantastic.

Personally id agree with 90% of the stuff posted here, and my own 2 cents worth:

STALKER

A perfect combination of atmosphere, exploration, freedom, and gunplay.

The Darkness 2

Honestly havent had as much fun in a FPS in ages. The quad wielding works amazingly, against all odds, and the story and setting perfectly tie the room together.

Killing Floor

Qite possibly the best actual shooting in an FPS ever. The weapons, oh god, the weapons. Everything feels like it packs a punch, the shotguns in partuclar are just absolute savagery.

Doom 3

It caught alot of flack, but its still tense, scary, and with the right mods, looks better than alot of modern shooters.

Painkiller

Top of the pile when it comes to mindless blasting. Painkiller looks amazing even today and plays fantastically.

I love Bioshock. But as an FPS its incredibly bad. The weapons are all uniformly awful and handle pretty crappily. everything else about it tho, fantastic.

Personally id agree with 90% of the stuff posted here, and my own 2 cents worth:

STALKER

A perfect combination of atmosphere, exploration, freedom, and gunplay.

The Darkness 2

Honestly havent had as much fun in a FPS in ages. The quad wielding works amazingly, against all odds, and the story and setting perfectly tie the room together.

Killing Floor

Qite possibly the best actual shooting in an FPS ever. The weapons, oh god, the weapons. Everything feels like it packs a punch, the shotguns in partuclar are just absolute savagery.

Doom 3

It caught alot of flack, but its still tense, scary, and with the right mods, looks better than alot of modern shooters.

Painkiller

Top of the pile when it comes to mindless blasting. Painkiller looks amazing even today and plays fantastically.

I noticed Killing Floor advertised on Steam quite a bit, but thought it looked a bit rubbish. I'm completely wrong, I assume?

Perfect Dark.

Reasons are many and some are listed above, combat simulator being one of my favourites.

My take?

Goldeneye (originally an on-rails shooter) was a game than so overrun its timetable -even for a Rare game- that everyone and his dog thought the movie was so "last year" when the game was released that the franchise meant nothing. Even meant it could be a drag on sales.

This was when videogame titles tied to franchises relied almost completely on the massive Hollywood hype burst to sell their product, partly because gaming was still a bit of a niche market at the time but also because most of the customers in that market knew that the majority of licenced movie tie-ins were utter fucking drivel.

But it, over a period of time, outdid almost everything anyone expected of it and became a complete and totally deserved cult classic.

And Perfect Dark bettered it in every way. Except it had Elvis the Fucking Stupid Idea, and no Oddjob.

It's still Doom, I would have to say. I recently replayed it on XBL and it's just fantastic, perfectly balanced and, graphics aside, still feels fresh.

Half-Life? Ehhhhh....depends on how you classify an FPS. I would say looking back Half-Life was a highly impressive first-person game with lots of great innovations, but the actual shooting felt a bit two-dimensional and predictable in places, a problem exacerbated by a factor of x10 for Half-Life 2. You run into the same problem with judging Stalker as a shooter. I loved the gunplay in that precisely because, without a sniper rifle or mods, it wasn't accurate. It gave the idea that you might be a skilled scavenger but you weren't militarily trained and bullets didn't always hit what you were aiming at. If GSC actually intended that I have no idea, I like to think they did.

Going to be a bit controversial and say that Halo I could take or leave. I always enjoy it while I'm playing ( well, apart from Halo 2, yeesh ) but it just doesn't stick in my mind when I walk away from the console. I can see why people label it a classic as it is very well crafted, but even the giant scarab battles in Halo 3 only got me mildly excited so I don't know what to tell you!

Dark Messiah was a good mention, that game had very fluid combat which surprised me at the time.

So, hmm, favourite first person shooter? Doom.

Favourite first person game? System Shock. This one just blew my mind. The graphics were amazing at the time ( now they look amusingly like a Monet painting ) and fiddling around with the interface, organizing your inventory and balancing ammo types was great. The e-mail logs slowly built the story up and there was a lingering sense of 'can I really get out of this?' rather than the 'yep, to the next level!' sense of first-person games at the time. It was the first game ( to my mind, I'm sure earlier ones had a similar sort of mechanic ) to feature a boss which didn't just patiently wait for you in a room at the end of the last level. This one taunted you and directly thwarted your plans, Shodan was two steps ahead all the time of a protagonist who didn't want to fight her he just wanted to get the hell off the station - a grand showdown only occurs when she's eliminated all other avenues of escape.

Plus that level set almost entirely in flicking light with half-invisible monsters? Fucking hell.

Half-Life? Ehhhhh....depends on how you classify an FPS. I would say looking back Half-Life was a highly impressive first-person game with lots of great innovations, but the actual shooting felt a bit two-dimensional and predictable in places, a problem exacerbated by a factor of x10 for Half-Life 2.

Completely correct. Half Life is a better shooter than Half Life 2, but neither deserves consideration amongst the company this thread is mostly keeping.

Why not start a new general first person games thread then? I'm sure they can happily co-exist. Gives me a place to gush about Fallout 3 too.

Well it was more of a suggestion to change the topics title but that's cool,.I have no shortage of fps to talk about :D

Come on, we solved this ages ago. Just call shooters "shooters" regardless of perspective, and any games that happen to be first person but aren't about shooting, like Minecraft, aren't shooters. The weird FP, TP stuff is from another age, ignore it.

No no no no no no. I consider FP/TP games to be completely separate styles and types of game. One of my real pet hates is when someone calls a game like Gears Of War a first person shooter when they are two completely different styles of viewpoint which can drastically effect a game and how it's played. That's really really picky and sad I know but it drives me fuckin mad when I see it.

This thread needs more Blake Stone

blake.jpg

I was wondering if someone else would post about Black Stone, I was too lazy to do it myself, sorry. Anyway, I loved this.

My one true love when it comes to FPS games is the quite rightly highly praised Quake 3, UT was great but somehow it felt more squashed than Quake in terms of freedom in certain arenas.

Also:

dS9FM.jpg

was great. Mansized FPS along with giant speedy robot FPS in the same game? Yes please. Ugly as shit but played really well, especially online.

cb3u1.jpg

It also contained the best rocket launcher in any game ever, the Bullgut. Quad spiralling rocket joy on every pull of the trigger.

sq3Rf.jpg

3HB0v.jpg

I was beginning to worry that SHOGO wasn't getting a mention until I got to page three!

I cut my FPS teeth on Quake 2 and 3. For straight death match the latter was unmatched although I did really enjoy Unreal Tournament for different reasons. The instagib mod for Q3 was a true twitch-skill challenge. Spawn with a rail gun already locked and loaded and one hit was enough to gib your opponent. Add the jump pad maps and you had some amazingly tense mid-air and long range combat.

I noticed Killing Floor advertised on Steam quite a bit, but thought it looked a bit rubbish. I'm completely wrong, I assume?

Indeed you were. Its a team based co-op shooter if that doesnt put you off (no SP aside from bot training), and its a bit rough around the edges, but its such bloody good fun. Possibly the most satisfying shooting in any FPS, beats the pants off similar games like L4D as far as pure shooting goes.

I threw together a quick tribute to the shotguns, video is a bit dark tho but its too late to fix it now!

RAGE

Yeah, the ending was shite and the racing felt tacked on (I liked it, though), but good God, the gunplay. Fantastic weapons, all made even better by the special ammunition you could find/make for them. So underrated.

I can't believe I left RAGE off my list :doh: Easily up there for me as well.

This is in no way 'best' but I recently completed a FPS called Darkest Of Days. It's a shooter where you play a soldier who is about to get killed during Custers Last Stand but someone from the future comes and saves you at the last minute. You then have to go back into past time periods to try to find people/alter the time line. It's quite awful in many ways with things like AI, animations and some awful voice acting. The woman who plays 'Mother' sounds like a mental Sue Barker. It's also pretty low budget in general but the premise kept me interested the whole way through and I still had fun playing it. Cheap and cheerful. I did howl with laughter when you are told during a level set in the American Civil War that some 'numerical adjustments' need to be made and you are given a machine gun from the future. This then leads to a lot of soldiers charging at you who you get to mow down :lol:

I dunno; probably Quake 3 for me, specifically Rocket Arena; one on one battles in small arenas were brilliantly tense and tense. Halo 1 was pretty good at the time, but I tried playing through it again and just wasn't feeling it. Never liked any of the sequels either, as much fun as I had with Halo 2's multiplayer because it was my first online console game. Quake 3 is probably pretty high in terms of games I'd still enjoy playing to this day; the feeling of inertia as you blast yourself around the arena is still unmatched. Has to be Mouse and Keyboard though; the XBLA version just didn't work for me.

Goldeneye is definitely the one I played the most, and I still enjoy playing through Bunker 2 on 007 difficulty now and again. Perfect Dark failed to meet expectations after that, with it's pretty dull single player. The multiplayer was good, and brilliantly customisable, but I kinda missed that short moment of invincibility you got after being shot in Goldeneye; some guns would mow you down in an instant in Perfect Dark. Goldeneye definitely wins on nostalgia factor.

I've not played many FPS games this generation; I did play CoD 4 and MW2 and they were pretty fun for a while, but I wasn't really taken by them. The demo of Bulletstorm seemed really fun, but I didn't see anything more than that.

Red Orchestra, both the first one and its sequel. They have a unique atmosphere for multiplayer FPS games; one of outright terror of gunfire and blind panic at close-quarters combat. The guns all feel just right, whether it's the extra effort in working the bolt on a rifle or the wild recoil from an unsupported PPSh SMG. Or even the satisfying thunk of an anti-tank rifle decapitating a silly tank driver who had his front hatch open to see better. The free-aim and reliance on iron sights in lieu of crosshairs makes every fight a messy, panicky experience, and the dinky little pistols feel especially good with the ease of movement and capability to empty a full clip into a luckless rifleman at close range before he can even ready his gun. Or alternatively you might miss every shot and then dance around trying not to get bayoneted until you both get bloodily vapourised by a 'friendly' grenade.

I still vividly remember some moments from playing these games with friends, like five of us cowering in a trench pinned down by machine-gun and then talking ourselves up into a bayonet charge towards the enemy with smoke grenade cover from our squad leader. Yelling "Za rodinu!" on voice chat as we all charged forward and got mown down. We didn't even accomplish anything, but it's seared into my brain. Calling out targets in a T-34 and trying frantically to reverse it out of danger, the interior of the tank completely splattered in blood from the dead hull gunner. Too many to list, really. I should get back into RO2 - it provides something that no other games do.

I can't believe I left RAGE off my list :doh: Easily up there for me as well.

This is in no way 'best' but I recently completed a FPS called Darkest Of Days. It's a shooter where you play a soldier who is about to get killed during Custers Last Stand but someone from the future comes and saves you at the last minute. You then have to go back into past time periods to try to find people/alter the time line. It's quite awful in many ways with things like AI, animations and some awful voice acting. The woman who plays 'Mother' sounds like a mental Sue Barker. It's also pretty low budget in general but the premise kept me interested the whole way through and I still had fun playing it. Cheap and cheerful. I did howl with laughter when you are told during a level set in the American Civil War that some 'numerical adjustments' need to be made and you are given a machine gun from the future. This then leads to a lot of soldiers charging at you who you get to mow down :lol:

Reminds me a bit of Necrovision. It has the production values youd excpect from a straight to dvd film starring Luke Perry, the acting is hilarious, story awful, graphics patchy as hell, but il lbe buggered if i didnt play it for 10 hours :lol: Its like a blueprint for Bulletstorm, it encourages skillful playing and combining melee/shooting. I really enjoyed it.

Agree with Rudi re: Red Orchestra too. I only played RO2, but for an MP game its atmosphere is amazing. Its just a shame it uses punkbuster, as punkbuster crashes my PC forcing a hard reboot, and i cant play RO2 anymore. I fucking despise punkbuster

Pretty much anything from the old Raven Software crew. Those cats knew how to code a fun game.

Hammering through Wolfenstein right now, and it's just masses of fun. Meaty weapons and a pretty cohesive little hub world. The Farm chapter's gotta be one of my favorites from any game for a long time. Just how it escalates from being a standard recon mission to something unfuckin'believable. Burns a hole in my soul that these cats are stuck forevermore pooping out COD DLC from the pike. Kinda hope they'll splinter off and do they're own thing.

Pretty much anything from the old Raven Software crew. Those cats knew how to code a fun game.

Hammering through Wolfenstein right now, and it's just masses of fun. Meaty weapons and a pretty cohesive little hub world. The Farm chapter's gotta be one of my favorites from any game for a long time. Just how it escalates from being a standard recon mission to something unfuckin'believable. Burns a hole in my soul that these cats are stuck forevermore pooping out COD DLC from the pike. Kinda hope they'll splinter off and do they're own thing.

God damn i love Wolfenstein! Forgot that one. Its such a fun game, the enemys hit reactions are so brilliantly OTT, and the weapons are amazing, once you unlock all the upgrades and veil powers. Class game :D

Reminds me a bit of Necrovision. It has the production values youd excpect from a straight to dvd film starring Luke Perry, the acting is hilarious, story awful, graphics patchy as hell, but il lbe buggered if i didnt play it for 10 hours :lol: Its like a blueprint for Bulletstorm, it encourages skillful playing and combining melee/shooting. I really enjoyed it.

Agree with Rudi re: Red Orchestra too. I only played RO2, but for an MP game its atmosphere is amazing. Its just a shame it uses punkbuster, as punkbuster crashes my PC forcing a hard reboot, and i cant play RO2 anymore. I fucking despise punkbuster

Yes! The Necrovision games are a fuckton of fun but can be very ropey in production values. Really enjoyed playing them, they were a blast. I can't remember offhand which one it was but for one of the games I had a few technical problems which saddened me and ended up messing up my playthrough.

In case of another eastern european FPS which I think is genuinely great I have to give a shout out to Cryostasis. Absolutely brilliant and the ending is mental. Just wait until it gets super cheap on Steam again or appears in one of those indie bundles. Great stuff.

Don't know about "best", but most influential shotoers for me, in chronological order:

Wolfenstein 3D - The first game I ever played, this was pre-installed along with Descent on our first PC, some second hand one. I completed every level. There were plenty of 2.5D shareware games, but this was the only one we had a full copy of.

Quake - Quake was a great game, but while most people probably remember it for multiplayer, my memories are entirely singleplayer. I think we even got the rather average expansion packs later, and put an awful lot of time into Quake 2 on PC and N64.

Goldeneye - Goldeneye was really the first multiplayer game I had exposure to. Loads of memories of playing split screen a little TV and endless matches in Facility, trapping other players in parts of the levels with proximity mines or fist-fighting over the Golden Gun in the toilets. And in the game. We moved onto Perfect Dark, and probably played that even more than Goldeneye. I've still got both somewhere.

Half Life - I first saw the Half Life demo playing on a mates computer and was blown away. I picked up the game only to find our PC at the time didn't even run it, like not even close. I think my parents upgraded due to purely how upset I was. I must have played through that game a bunch of times, and bought all the expansion packs. I ate up every scrap of info about the sequel, which due to Valve Time, was a long wait. Hell, Black Mesa was one of my GOTY this year.

Unreal Tournament - Our first PC online shooter, I spent many dozens of hours playing Facing Worlds. In retrospect, UT was charmless and a bit shit - mostly I remember the crazy mod scene which spend loads of time adding in daft levels and weapons from TV shows and whatever - it was a mess of pastiches that threw balance and design out of the window, but it was basically our multiplayer game pre-Perfect Dark.

Deus Ex - A friend had this game, he said it was shit and he died on the first encounter of the first level, plus the weapons were shit and inaccurate. I borrowed it, went through the training and realised he'd been shooting Paul Denton. I took it back and showed him the first level and we couldn't stop playing it. The idea that shooters could be so much more, that they could layer on extra systems, extra ways of playing, was fascinating. I played this game through so many times than even a decade later I don't need to read the Datapads, the usernames and passwords and ATM numbers just pop into my head as I'm playing.

Metroid Prime - The wait for this was awful, seemingly launching everywhere but Europe a year in advance and giving us the frankly diabolical Starfox Adventures for the main Xmas game, but ultimately worth it. The game nails exploration through locales which just drip with history. I must have spent more time than I know wandering through the Chozo Ruins, moving my view to look at every detail, the moving machinery revealed behind the crumbling walls, the strange fusions of technology and nature - it still holds up today due to this strong aesthetic. I even went back to it recently after seeing it speed-run on AGDQ. Like Super Monkey Ball, though, it was a perfect first entry with nowhere to go but down for the sequels.

Halo - I first saw Halo playing on a demo-pod in Virgin Records or something. Me and a mate stayed playing that demo pod for ages, through the whole Silent Cartographer demo. It was a revelation - it was so different from anything at the time, it felt so forward thinking. The sentiment towards the Xbox and Microsoft entering the console industry at the time was so negative, and no-one we knew had one, so we couldn't play it. It wasn't until it finally launched on PC that I could play the whole thing. When I picked up a 360 I picked up an old Xbox copy of Halo 2, and got really into the still-thriving online MP community, learning all the combat tricks, the double melee, sweep sniping and jump-paths through the levels. I ate up every bit of info and hype on the massively over the top drip-feed marketing launch of the third, and although I liked the game, it just felt disposable, like dozens of games I played that didn't make this list. I didn't go back for ODST or Reach, or 4.

Far Cry - Far Cry is a title which if I had to sum up would be rated like 4/10, 5/10 or something, but when it did stuff right it did it really right, and I got really into it. I loved the way the systems worked together and it exposed information to the user, you could add enemies to your radar by tagging them with binoculars, which gave you info on their proximity, elevation and alert status. You could see the radius of noise that actions you took made, you could distract enemies by throwing rocks. It was like a shooter version of Mark of the Ninja, where you have no advantages over your enemy but information. You're not stronger, you're outnumbered, you can't heal yourself and you can't even save and reload. I loved it. Scoping out locations, making my presence known with bursts of fire that detonated fuel stores and radios, then retreating into the forest and lying low, each kill giving away my position and requiring a relocate, over and over, playing a deadly game of cat and mouse. I played such sections repeatedly - if the game were a physical object, there would be bits that showed evidence of heavy wear, while others were rarely touched. Crysis didn't really emulate this as well, it was too easy to relocate with invisibility, or survive and regenerate health with a burst of super speed. The challenge was gone. A shame, because some of the early videos featured really interesting new gameplay systems that would have suited that cat and mouse gameplay perfectly - like the ability to tag enemies from range with little tranquiliser darts which you could trigger on command, which never actually made it into the final game.

Mirrors Edge - I picked this up Day 1 and don't regret it, despite it being 2 hours long, the obvious product of a tumultuous development cycle, and being a terrible speed-attack game filled with frustrations. The art is fantastic, locations varied and the gameplay of traversal feels great. It's still something I pick up and run through from time to time, the brevity of it actually being an advantage.

That's why I think this thread should be more about first person games rather than just shooters.

Perhaps, but it isn't. An FPS has a certain set of mechanics, above and beyond it being in a first person perspective. Shooting being the first indicator of this in the abbreviation.

Perhaps, but it isn't. An FPS has a certain set of mechanics, above and beyond it being in a first person perspective. Shooting being the first indicator of this in the abbreviation.

Fair enough :) If I ever feel strongly enough about it I'll create a 'First person' thread or something along those lines.

Just had a go at the Painkiller remake and it's really good fun. It won't replace the original (especially as it's only a remake of some levels) but it's satisfying to play, fast, fluid, good weapons and even from the first 4 - 5 levels it's a much better game than those shitey Painkiller add on packs/games that came out.

I also mentioned that the Rise Of The Triad remake was coming out later this year sometime. It'll come out on PC only with Steam Workshop support and cost $15/just over £10 I assume. On the official website they have podcasts talking about it and the design of the game which are worth listening to if you're interested in how virtual teams work etc.

If this thread is about shooting, then half life 2 deserves to be nowhere near it.