IGNORED

The best FPS

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

I remember loading up Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter and totally believing I was the only motherfucker on planet earth playing the thing. It was like the bastard child of Red Faction and Mass Effect. The seamless flow between the FPS bits and then suddenly turning into Colony Wars was fuckin' mind bending at the time. It sold about three copies I think.

If this thread is about shooting, then half life 2 deserves to be nowhere near it.

Pfft. It has plenty of shooting in it. It's hardly Halo but it's good, certainly goes past the minimum standard for me, i've played a lot worse FPSs (some horrible Xbox 1 ones come to mind).

I play it on hard mind, so it presents a modicum of challenge. Personally I like it, although i'd never rave about it.

There's a few games in here so far that have weak or merely decent shooting mechanics (007 Nightfire, for god's sake). A lot of people are even mentioning Mirror's Edge, which is hilariously bad as a shooter IMO.

But hey whatever, they are First Person Shooters, so people are free to list them.

Pfft. It has plenty of shooting in it. It's hardly Halo but it's good, certainly goes past the minimum standard for me, i've played a lot worse FPSs (some horrible Xbox 1 ones come to mind).

I play it on hard mind, so it presents a modicum of challenge. Personally I like it, although i'd never rave about it.

There's a few games in here so far that have weak or merely decent shooting mechanics (007 Nightfire, for god's sake). A lot of people are even mentioning Mirror's Edge, which is hilariously bad as a shooter IMO.

But hey whatever, they are First Person Shooters, so people are free to list them.

To be fair I think a lot of folk were doing what I did in just listing first person games they loved rather than pure shooters. Mirrors Edge is in no shape or form a shooter.

Probably just nostalgia talking, but I reckon Quake is the best single player FPS that's ever been made, and Counterstrike is the best multiplayer one. Both games make it very clear that whenever you die it's because you're not good enough at FPSs, there's no irritating mechanics getting in the way of shooting. And personally I prefer CS's attack/defend tactics to multiplayer Quake's power-up domination tactics.

I loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein back in the day, to. Brilliant weapons (and still the most fun videogame flamethrower ever - because it's got an actual, usefull range on it) the guns all had a great kick, and of course the setting was just brilliant. I still remember the crypt level an watching the regular nazis freak out as they were attacked by zombies and all other mad shit. Great game.

First online game I was really hooked on, to boot. I only ever played the beach map and the one with the gondolas on - but that beach map - WHAT a map. Using the flamethrower to clear out that bunker on the beach NEVER got dull.

Probably just nostalgia talking, but I reckon Quake is the best single player FPS that's ever been made, and Counterstrike is the best multiplayer one. Both games make it very clear that whenever you die it's because you're not good enough at FPSs, there's no irritating mechanics getting in the way of shooting. And personally I prefer CS's attack/defend tactics to multiplayer Quake's power-up domination tactics.

Couldn't agree more. Quake 1 campaign was incredible. No fps has come near creating the sense of adventure and dread. I absolutely adore the art style to this day. Was gutted the later quake games didn't use a similar setting.

See, don't get me wrong. I love half life 2 as a game, but as a shooter, it's sub par.

The Darkness 2

Honestly havent had as much fun in a FPS in ages. The quad wielding works amazingly, against all odds, and the story and setting perfectly tie the room together.

I worked on this for months too and I agree, I think it's highly under rated and the quad wielding was great fun! My name should be on Bioshock 2 too :)

I remember loading up Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter and totally believing I was the only motherfucker on planet earth playing the thing. It was like the bastard child of Red Faction and Mass Effect. The seamless flow between the FPS bits and then suddenly turning into Colony Wars was fuckin' mind bending at the time. It sold about three copies I think.

Having spent 18 months working on it I can honestly say it deserved to sell about 3 copies ;-)

Says you. Point is, it's still a shooter.

But not a very good one. The ai is basic, the enemies you kill through shooting rather dull and the guns, whilst sounding great are nothing to write home about.

In spite of this, it's still a brilliant game, just ranked against great shooters like Halo or Fear etc, it pales in comparison.

Doesn't pale in comparison to FEAR. Identikit shooter with Max Payne slo-mo gimmick. Much less varied enemies than HL2 and absolutely no variation in level design. Enemies with set patterns and no real Ai. Had a nice shotgun though.

I'd take Half-Life 2's environmental shooting with the gravity gun any day.

I reckon the Ai of most of the games listed here are nonexistant compared to Halo in any event so what's the point in bringing that up.

Way back when - Half Life.

A bit ago - Call Of Duty Modern Warfare.

Now - Far Cry 3 (if only the developers implemented some Battlefield 3 esque bullet drop, it would have been even better).

Do a lot of people still play Q3A? I wouldn't mind partaking in some of that, depending on latency.

As for the AI on Halo that people keep bringing up... I can never remember any moment where that stood out. When stuff was on low health it ran away or went for cover, that was it. Not once did the AI 'out smart' me.

Yeah it has loads of people playing but they're all sooooo good... I prefer just walloping through the single player on normal settings.

Halo's AI stood out not because it was smarter than you but because it was reactive. And Elites did like to flank. Really, there had been nothing like it at the time. The combat was so fluid and dynamic.

I just did the first 5 levels of Quake 1. Yikes, I'd forgotten how old it was! It's basically Doom but more... open? And with polygon enemies I guess. The level design is great - you can constantly hear growling and explosions because it's all so compact. Loads of old memories came back. Good times. Looking up and down appears to have no real significance, I noticed.

Over Christmas I had the chance to play Halo anniversary. It's such a good game, it never feels cheap when you die on legendary. Pegging it away from Covenant forces with shield beeping away, palms sweating, get to cover and then a single needler round explodes in you... One more go...

And the grenades, how fucking good are the grenades? The integration of the vehicles... Split screen co-op... The pistol, I love the pistol...

The campaign has never been bettered. Playing it again with contemporary graphics really underlines how brilliant it is.

And the grenades, how fucking good are the grenades? The integration of the vehicles... Split screen co-op... The pistol, I love the pistol...

The grenades you can throw for MILES... That's what I missed in later games, the ability to hurl explosive death from clean over the other side of the level. It really helped with the whole 'you are a cybernetically enhanced super human' thing.

Doesn't pale in comparison to FEAR. Identikit shooter with Max Payne slo-mo gimmick. Much less varied enemies than HL2 and absolutely no variation in level design. Enemies with set patterns and no real Ai. Had a nice shotgun though.

I'd take Half-Life 2's environmental shooting with the gravity gun any day.

I reckon the Ai of most of the games listed here are nonexistant compared to Halo in any event so what's the point in bringing that up.

I guess it's just a very personal thing in how you like the combat in a game. For example I feel like FEARs core weaponary - the pistols, the shotgun, the nailgun, the assault rifle ? They make Half Life 2's (and many many other FPS) look weak and unsatisfying (and I like Half Life 2s combat). I consider FEAR one of the greatest FPS ever for FPS combat. The feel of the guns, the way the environment reacts to a gunfight, the dust flying everywhere, the glass shattering, concrete flying off the walls, the cool as hell slowmo which is a lot of fun (especially when throwing a grenade). The AI deserves a lot more credit than you give it, admittedly it's not like Halos AI which is far more dynamic (especially as its an open battlefield) but it's still really well designed for the levels the game's set in. It keeps you on your toes and in no way makes your life easy. I can't think of many other FPS that did FEARs mix of horror and slow mo hong kong action as well as it did (and its sequel). The other thing I love about it as well is the full body awareness that is something which Monolith has always done. Plus the way you can actually use this and jump kick fools in the face. :D

I second mr_woo's comments on FEAR. Also, it's one of ~3 games that ever made me jump.

I like Halo but don't understand the love. Maybe console gamers never had it so good as PC gamers. /troll

Do mods count? Action Half-Life was very good.

Some great games mentioned in this thread, don't really have a lot to add. My own personal selections would be:

System Shock - I still think is pretty unrivalled when it comes to atmosphere and tension.

Battlefield 3 - With a cohesive squad, it becomes one of the most fun and tactical MP shooters I have played. Plus it looks nothing short of spectacular.

AvP - The original PC game, being able to move so fast whilst clinging to any surface still spins me out and is so much fun.

Mechwarrior 2 & 3 - Perhaps stretching the limits of the term FPS, but it is first person and there's a fuck ton of shooting. Fantastic games.

FEAR never made me jump but that just reminded me of Clive Barkers Undying. That made me shit my pants. It was an ugly game at the time, using the Unreal engine I think but that just made it creepier. You can use two weapons at the same time, guns, melee weapons or magic. However one of the most useful weapons doesn't cause any damage at all. A magic stone that creates a powerful shockwave that pushes enemies away giving you more time to kill them. The perfect defense. You'll need that time too as you can get killed pretty easily. Whenever an enemy like a Howler slashes you the entire screen moves and you are momentarily disorientated, putting you off your game. Its also the scariest game i've played. The sound is phenomenal and just hearing these creatures can freeze you in your tracks. One of these days I have to go back and fucking finish it.

FEAR 2 edged the first for me. I liked the first but I thought the level design was a little crappy at times, I actually stopped playing because I was lost! FEAR 2 still holds up now, it's the perfect length too. I remember it was released the same month as Killzone 2, which everyone was going mental for. It's a far superior game. I challenge anyone to find an enemy more fun to fight than the backpack guys near the start.

FEAR never made me jump but that just reminded me of Clive Barkers Undying. That made me shit my pants. It was an ugly game at the time, using the Unreal engine I think but that just made it creepier. You can use two weapons at the same time, guns, melee weapons or magic. However one of the most useful weapons doesn't cause any damage at all. A magic stone that creates a powerful shockwave that pushes enemies away giving you more time to kill them. The perfect defense. You'll need that time too as you can get killed pretty easily. Whenever an enemy like a Howler slashes you the entire screen moves and you are momentarily disorientated, putting you off your game. Its also the scariest game i've played. The sound is phenomenal and just hearing these creatures can freeze you in your tracks. One of these days I have to go back and fucking finish it.

I've never actually played that but had heard good things about it. Maybe one day I'll get around to giving it a go :)

FEAR 2 edged the first for me. I liked the first but I thought the level design was a little crappy at times, I actually stopped playing because I was lost! FEAR 2 still holds up now, it's the perfect length too. I remember it was released the same month as Killzone 2, which everyone was going mental for. It's a far superior game. I challenge anyone to find an enemy more fun to fight than the backpack guys near the start.

Yeah FEAR 2's a cracking game as well but I think when it comes down to it overall with the core combat I prefer the first game. I loved the nice mixture of environments (as they took the complaints about the saminess of FEARs levels to heart) and the mech sections were awesome but the AI wasn't as good as the levels weren't designed around the AI the way the first game was. They weren't anywhere as aggressive as they should have been. Also the weapon sounds for some weapons are actually worse than what was in the original game for some reason. I won't post the videos here as you've probably seen me post them before but I would have preferred if the game had remained the same as the E3 showing years ago before they changed the gore mechanics. The 'glowing' enemies in slow mo in the final game was a bit naff as well.

It's little touches like the backpack enemies why I loved FEAR 2 though. They always went out of their way to have cool little things which were over the top but very satisfying. Seeing the mangled corpse on the ground after laying waste to a lot of them was class. Also, the laser that splits folks in half. Oh yes!