IGNORED

The best FPS

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

FEAR never made me jump but that just reminded me of Clive Barkers Undying. That made me shit my pants. It was an ugly game at the time, using the Unreal engine I think but that just made it creepier. You can use two weapons at the same time, guns, melee weapons or magic. However one of the most useful weapons doesn't cause any damage at all. A magic stone that creates a powerful shockwave that pushes enemies away giving you more time to kill them. The perfect defense. You'll need that time too as you can get killed pretty easily. Whenever an enemy like a Howler slashes you the entire screen moves and you are momentarily disorientated, putting you off your game. Its also the scariest game i've played. The sound is phenomenal and just hearing these creatures can freeze you in your tracks. One of these days I have to go back and fucking finish it.

It was fucking massive as well, a huge sprawling campaign which saw you exploring the enormous grounds, fighting ghosts and beasts in the ruins of an old monastery, going back in time to fight the monks that once lived in that monastery, fighting pirates through their cove, travelling to two completely separate and visually distinct dimensions to battle the various Lovecraftian (or Clive Barkian, as it were) beast within, all strung together with a highly compelling and well written plot. Underrated classic if there ever was one.

FPSs tend to bore the pants off me these days but there is one I keep coming back to for a replay every couple of years ................. Half Life 2. I just love it to bits (and that love has transferred over into Dishonored which has a very similar feel to it at times). It may not be the most sophisticated AI or the meatiest shooting mechanic but the level design, the pacing, the invention and the atmosphere for me are second to none. I love the quieter sections in particular where you are on the coast road and stop off to investigate every ruined house, or where you have to figure out the puzzles in the swampy bit, the quicksand section where there is that bastard see saw bit, the intensity of the assault from the beach, I can't think of a weak section (unlike the episodes where a single puzzle mechanic is sometimes overused).

I also have soft spots for Halo, FEAR, Metro 2033, XIII, Return to castle Wolfenstein and the early Rainbow 6 games.

This is not counting Bioshock or Deus Ex as part of the genre.

Atrocious game lol. Exaggerate much? I really don't see how HL 2 gunplay differs much from Modern Warfare's shooting gallery style (except for iron sights of course which I am sick of) which is pretty much the standard nowadays for better or worse. It's probably overly long, but it has one of the most coherent and fully realized worlds of any game I have played. It's like a bleeding adventure game.

Atrocious game lol. Exaggerate much? I really don't see how HL 2 gunplay differs much from Modern Warfare's shooting gallery style (except for iron sights of course which I am sick of) which is pretty much the standard nowadays for better or worse. It's probably overly long, but it has one of the most coherent and fully realized worlds of any game I have played. It's like a bleeding adventure game.

Modern Warfare's combat is shite though.

Hey once we had one of these threads and there was a a quake 2 love in,

so when the quake collection was on sale in steam, I bought it. I should've just got quake one basically. Quake 2 was like one of those museums where people get dressed up as people from the past and say "this is what we do for fun.... in nineteen ninety seven!"

As for good games, I'm one of those freaks who really loves marathon. I played the original pc version of marathon 2 when I had no money and was scrounging for abandonware games, and I spent most of the time wondering what the fuck was supposed to be going on and why it was such a terrible game. But I perservered, and grew to love it somehow. The twitchy enemies with poor AI for doom-like shooting action, The craaaazy story with all of the pseudo-philosophical hard sci-fi artificial intelligence crap, the funny characters, and the annoying runnning around old alien ruins looking for switches that may or may not do something to progress through the complex map, and the recharge and saving stations which were very new for when they came out. Not sure why, but I loved them, and played all of them, and all of the fan scenarios.

I know I say this every time System Shock comes up, but if you ever get the chance to play SS2 on co-op, do it. The loss in isolation (which is small) is more than compensated by the improvements in gameplay when you have disparate character builds supporting each other. It may be a survival horror game, but it has an RPG system sufficiently well-developed to support a much larger-scale adventure.

Edit- Although it bears emphasising that it's an incredibly good single-player game, there is a tension between the horror aspect's demands for combat proficiency, and the skills system's Deus-ex-esque variety of hacking nonsense. Going in as a team means you have more freedom to explore the options.

It's really boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring most of the time.

Half-Life 1 was never boring.

I can understand why people find Half Life 2 boring. It's not a very 'fast' game, Half Life is very much immediate 'GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!' and you are always in a rush, you feel the need to push forward as quick as possible and Half Life 2 is more of a city wide adventure. It has much more downtime, it has moments where you take it easy. For example I absolutely adore the long boat rides and jeep rides interspersed with moments of action, they are some of my favourite moments in the game, but a lot of people find them badly paced which I understand but don't agree with. It's a game which takes its time to let you take in all that's around you. It's why I love it more than the original to be honest. It's also probably my most played through FPS. I of course prefer FEAR as a shooter overall and adore that game, but everytime I stick on Half Life 2 for a 'look' I play the whole game through again. It just hooks me every. single. time. I've probably played it all the way through something like 10 - 15 times now :lol: Hell I've played every version of Half Life and Half Life 2 ever released. Even the dreamcast version of HL1 and the xbox 1 version of HL2!

I understand why people love Half-Life 2 as an experience, but it's an atrocious game, IMHO. There's hardly any real fun in there. The first Half-Life absolutely shits on it in almost every way.

From the man who rates Resi 6 as an awesome game, ladies and gents.

I replayed HL2 last year, i didnt come across a single atrocious section, for the record.

It's really boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring most of the time.

Wrongest thing ever. You take any old Dystopian b-movie and your basically acting out the same scenes in real time with no cuts. Taking in the atmosphere and enjoying it all.

It does feel like an adventure and it has some great action scenes and moments of solitude. Perfectly balanced.

Pure action every second does not a great FPS make.

I can see where he's coming from. The shooting in H-L2 wasn't much advanced from the shooting in the first game, while action-oriented FPSes had moved on a great deal in the interim.

I don't see that as an issue though. It's an adventure game where shooting is one of many ways of keeping the player involved, not an actual shooter.

All the best FPS's are adventure based though. It just had bigger gaps bridges its moments which made it better because they used to those slower moments to allow the player to take in the atmosphere.

These days all you get is an arena, a wacking great explosion, then another arena.

At least talking SP modes.

Well, I tend to see two different kinds of FPSes. First there's the post-Doom FPS which focused on combat, had no plot, and had intricately folded levels of the likes seen in Quake and Duke 3D. Action with exploration (but not much adventure in the sense of storytelling), through a series of well-defined arenas. Those were great FPSes in their own right but I distinguish them from what came later.

Then there's the post-Half-Life FPS, which has little exploration, a clear narrative, and shooting that can range from just one tool in the developer's storytelling toolbox (Half-Life) to a legitimate and lively mechanic in its own right (Halo)*. Where a game falls on that spectrum decides whether it's more of an adventure or an all-out shooter. They do draw from the same set of tricks regardless, as you point out.

Some of those great FPSes had high adventure but poor shooting. Some had enthralling combat and an adventure that exists to shuttle the player along (as distinct from post-Doom FPSes which were content to let the player dick around in the level interminably). Some did well on both.

Deus Ex, Thief et al are obviously RPGs in this scheme and not FPSes at all. I've never played a CoD-era FPS so I can't comment but they seem to be on the aforementioned spectrum.

*Yes, Halo has the open-level thing going on, but it's all focused on the combat and not exploration for exploration's sake.

Not sure what point if any I'm trying to make here except that it popped into my head when I was thinking of Half-Life being more of an adventure than a shooter.

The problem here is no one knows what we are judging FPS games by, is it purely the "Shooter" part of the First Person part.

If we take it as a whole and judge ALL games played from a first person perspective its a pretty big field and hard to compare.

For me the standouts are:

Quake 3. For pure FPS, fast paced, multiplayer only, pared down to its essentials Q3 was always the king. A game where your skill was pretty much the only factor assuming your connection speeds were not drastically different. Nothing has matched the speed and instinctive twitch gameplay of quake 3.

AVP: The marine mission in the original AvP was an amazing experience, pure terror. And the only time anyone has ever come close to recreating the feeling of the films. Shooting wildly and cables and screaming out loud. Brilliant.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R I actually only enjoyed these recently and they are peerless, it's a shame the game never got the seamless world it deserved but despite this the atmosphere, the freeform gameplay are second to none. The misery mod makes it brutally hard, and the harder STALKER is the better it is. So unforgiving that every encounter becomes and exercise in fear. Brilliant stuff.

Battlefield 1942. A complete game changer, the daddy of military , multiplayer FPS games. The whole series (until the transfer to consoles) provided almost endless fun. Suddenly the players were creating the situations. People constantly found new and creative ways to approach the game, from jihad jeeps to wing riding. The later games were also brilliant and have their own standout moments. Flying down the river in a huey with music blaring out in Battlefield Vietnam was incredible fun. I played them all and loved them all.

Arma II. Yeah its a bit shit in alot of ways isn't it. But since Dayz came out I have had more immersion and more fun (and more frustration) than from any other gaming experience ever. The wasteland mod also provides endless entertainment, a bit like Battlefield on drugs. Arma II on its own is a bit shonky, the engine has definite problems, but it is also incredible what it achieves, vast maps, detailed weapons and vehicles, which has allowed the modding community to create something really special, at least in the two mods mentioned above.

The MW series seems to get bashed in here quite a bit, I'm not sure why. I absolutely love MW2, and it's probably the last game I sank any time into on Live. I only played as a solo in the Death Matches, so quite a different experience to my days on Halo 2 and 3, but I thought it was a quite brilliant shooter. Obviously the SP campaign is garbage, but not really what the game is about in my view.

I was also nuts about Battlefield 1943 or whatever it was called, the Live multiplayer only dlc...I had every single achievement, which is unknown for me with an XBox game.

Battlefield 2 Modern Combat (online only as this was made by DICE).

Before this game there was no other FPS like it on a console, open field battle with 24 players, tanks, jeeps, helicopters, boats.

I spent so much time on this game its not even funny, it didn't have the best controls, it didn't have the anywhere near graphics of a lot of modern day shooter, what it did have was at the time a full on war environment that you could use tactics to win the game.

My picks...

Team Fortress 2

Still fresh years later, I can take a long break and come back and even with all the new items they are balanced well and you still remain competative, the varied gameplay and class system ensures you never get bored. I need to include team fortress classic here as well, although there are few servers remaining it is still a great game and back in the day on the trusty pentium 166 and voodoo rush I played this for hours.

Clive Barkers Undying

Been mentioned before but this is a great game with a great story and awesome (for the time) visuals, they really need to do a sequal to this. I'd play it through again but seems to run about 30 times too fast on a modern PC so need to look around for something to cap the speed.

STALKER - Call of Pripyat

Although there are a series of stalker games this is the pick of the bunch for me especially with the mods, it perfectly captures the atmosphere and isolation of Pripyat with the visuals and the sound just completes it, well worth picking up any of the series.

Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat mod

Battlefield itself was amazing, myself and a couple of friends played the wake island demo for ages, ok mainly it was about flying a plane whilst your buddies stand on each wing and seeing if you could take off like that and fly under a low bridge but it was a classic game. Then the deset combat mod came out which made the game even better, not by changing the maps but my modernising the vehicles, one of the best online multiplayer games, when all looks lost, fly your plane at the enemy tank and eject at the last second. :)

Deus Ex

This was already on budget re-release by the time I heard about it but was very complex for the time with augmentations and the various ways you could go about doing tasks, with sneaking, shooting, air ducts etc. It also runs perfectly on a modern PC or netbook and I think is far superior to it's successors.

Unreal Tournament 2004

Whilst I liked UT99 this just made it even better, the best out of the Unreal Tournament series for me and the game engine for the time was amazing, really efficiant and even really crappy graphics cards could run this shooter well. The massive number of maps on offer as well as play styles ensures this never got old and still gets played regularly.

Serious Sam HD series

A bit more of a recent one this. I have SS for the XBox but picked it up late down the line when I was more into PCs and the graphics were mush. They had a steam sale a year or so ago when the first one was on sale and I picked it up on a whim. Really great game, nice crisp visuals, long enough campaign and just loads of stuff going on, perfect for the 360 controller also. I have finished HD 1+2 but the 3rd game hasn't grabbed me the same way, well worth picking up.

This S.T.A.L.K.E.R sounds alright. I got massively into the Chernobyl Incident after Fukushima and kept imagining what a half-decent game would be like set in that current day area.

I may indulge once I get my power brick replaced for my lappers.

FEAR 2 edged the first for me. I liked the first but I thought the level design was a little crappy at times, I actually stopped playing because I was lost! FEAR 2 still holds up now, it's the perfect length too. I remember it was released the same month as Killzone 2, which everyone was going mental for. It's a far superior game. I challenge anyone to find an enemy more fun to fight than the backpack guys near the start.

Yes, FEAR 2 is a drastically superior game. I remember that time and cements my hatred of internet hype and the suckers over at Neogaf (and a lot over here) shouting as loud as they can.

Yes, FEAR 2 is a drastically superior game. I remember that time and cements my hatred of internet hype and the suckers over at Neogaf (and a lot over here) shouting as loud as they can.

To be fair on many forums at the time, there was a lot of excitement for Killzone 2, probably more so for the graphics than anything else. The Killzone games are fun enough, nowt special but some good AI and weapons. I'd rather play a Killzone game from the Helghasts perspective though, they're a much more interesting lot than the shitheads you get to play as. Guerilla campaigns tend to be pretty uninteresting.

To be fair on many forums at the time, there was a lot of excitement for Killzone 2, probably more so for the graphics than anything else. The Killzone games are fun enough, nowt special but some good AI and weapons. I'd rather play a Killzone game from the Helghasts perspective though, they're a much more interesting lot than the shitheads you get to play as. Guerilla campaigns tend to be pretty uninteresting.

Aside from the characters being utter shit, the one other thing that ruined KZ2 for me was the controls. It just feels completely wrong, like youre playing as someone encased in cement or something. Theyre decent FPS'es, but each one is held back by something that just keeps them from entering the top tier of shooters, Killzone as a series is has always been a really polished also ran for me.