The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Captain Kelsten

This bloody game... I was determined to finish the Bloody Baron's quests last night... except what happened was that Tower of Mice quest ended up going on longer that I thought and I ended up playing that all night.

Chances of me playing MGS V or GTA V any time soon are absolutely nill.

Haha yes, same happened to me. "I'll just play this little side quest I suppose.."

*Eight hours later*

and another thing on that Baron's quest...

slight

here's me finished the Peller part, and I thought I'd go and try out a contract quest. So I selected one around my level and headed off to meet the person. On the way I noticed the Baron's castle was on fire so naturally went to find out what was going on... and found myself back in the Baron's quest without even meaning to.

Amazing scenes.

Ok so I'm a bit confused by the map. I was doing a few quests in velen when I zoomed out too far and it went to the world map. Decided to go back to White Orchard and saw there were loads of things to do. So I start hitting the question marks, places of power etc. I noticed that the key at the top of the map with all the symbols was reducing some of the numbers so realised it indicates what you have left to do on the map... Is that right? Because now I've completed all the question marks and they are gone from the top... I found six places of power but the map suggests there are still six left. If that is correct fair enough but having gone across the map im assuming it's still just listing the ones I've already found. Just wanted to check with you guys instead of finding a map online

Ok - finished the Bloody Baron completely now. Or, the Bobby Baratheon quest as I ended up calling it.

I think I got the best ending I could - given that I left the children to the Crones. The Big Man left with his now mad wife to try and help her, a broken man who just wants the love of his life back. His daughter facing the reality of the choice she's made to join the church, but in her eyes you could see she wanted to be with her parents.

brilliant stuff...

so then, instead of heading on to the next story quest I thought I'd catch up with smaller quests I'd picked up on the way... some low level one about a missing wife. And this one in particular really demonstrated just how much has gone into this game. It's a level 7 quest, if you don't do it at the time, there's a chance you might not bother.

but it turns out the wife is missing because her husband was a werewolf... but he didn't know he'd killed his wife. He killed his wife during one of his werewolf phases as his wife's sister, who secretly loved him and became jealous of her sister, lured his wife into the wood to frighten her away... but she was torn to bits. The sister tries to get you to give up the search for her, knowing that the husband may be broken if he learns about a violent death. You then find the werewolf in his hidey hole and have some fisticuffs... at the end, the jealous sister comes in and reveals all to the werewolf, hoping that it'll convince you to spare him and let them live together. But the werewolf, now overcome with rage on learning that she lead his wife to her death, vows to kill the jealous sister. As a Witcher, I can't allow this werewolf to live and I remove the curse by splattering his innards all over the place. As I loot his house, the jealous sister sits on a bench sobbing. Quest complete.

This fucking game.

Considering I'm playing this at home and Monster Hunter 4 on my commutes... I'm in gaming heaven right now.

I think 8 is just right. The plot, storytelling, and characters are all top notch. But the combat is average at best, it had serious issues at launch (my own woes are well documented in this thread), and the performance on consoles is only just on the right side of acceptable.

That sounds about right to me. The only thing I'd disagree with are the technical issues, since I haven't had any (on the PC). It's a fantastic RPG let down by a very average combat system.

W3 is easily one of the finest rpgs ever made. It's combat system is solid and achieves what it sets out to do, something that can't easily be said for many western rpgs. In comparison to Skyrim is simply on another level. As for the rest, story, characters, storytelling, direction, content quality, etc, I see it becoming the benchmark from now on. If marks mean anything anymore then this is a flatout 10. As for the technical issues it had no more (and maybe less) than other open world rpgs which were much less ambitious.

I am pretty staggered by the depth of this game. It's amazing. I think Edge should have rated it higher than an 8 based on everything I've seen so far.

It's easily one of the best WRPGs there is - how that translates to an Edge score is another matter. There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm generally at the mag for the RPG genre other than for From's output. Neverwinter nights got a 9 back in the day and a mention in the top 3 games of that year; I fancy that was some individual staff members input. Otherwise 7 or 8 is a typical score for the best ones.

But, really, who cares?

All I can say is I'm eager to return and pick up the pieces form outstanding quests when the dlc comes along which is fairly rare with me, e.g having completed the main game some time ago, I currently feel no inclination to buy the DAI dlc.

I think 8 is just right. The plot, storytelling, and characters are all top notch. But the combat is average at best, it had serious issues at launch (my own woes are well documented in this thread), and the performance on consoles is only just on the right side of acceptable.

The combat isn't complicated but it's not bad. If you adequately prepare for an encounter (I'm playing on the level above default) then a fight is a cake walk as it should be if you're an adequately prepared Witcher. I think the combat is entirely dependent on which signs you use and how you approach it. The console performance is more than acceptable to me considering just how much the game offers and the level of detail put into so many different aspects of the game.

You seem to be very critical of every game that I enjoy though (not that I've engaged you in conversation about them) so I'll finally accept that our standards differ. I'm just glad that you seem to have enjoyed this one :)

People bemoaning the average combat were playing on at least hard I hope.

Yep. It's still average. Your level and stats are far too significant and the poor pacing mean that you'll often out level most of the fights you do (or be under leveled for a random high level enemy). Similar to The Witcher 2 (but not to the same degree) it has what I think are essential abilities gated off as talents rather than built in like they should be. I probably picked a particularly boring build (fast attacks) as I don't really have to do anything other than dodge and fast attack, but it's extremely effective. In the 70 hours I've played I've only had to switch up my approach a handful of times and the most memorable of those was because I was much lower level than the enemy. The whole bestiary/different monsters require different approaches hasn't really played out for me yet.

I think it also suffers from a problem that a lot of RPGs have: the game's content outlasts the combat system. It's hard to design a combat system that is consistently good from the start of the game to the end, but I had a lot more fun playing DA:I than TW3. I put over 100 hours into the former but I'm really struggling to get past 70 on TW3. I just find the combat is just so bland.

As for the rest, story, characters, storytelling, direction, content quality, etc, I see it becoming the benchmark from now on.

This. Improve the pacing and combat and it would probably be the best RPG I've ever played (and I've played a lot of them).

It's easily one of the best WRPGs there is - how that translates to an Edge score is another matter. There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm generally at the mag for the RPG genre other than for From's output. Neverwinter nights got a 9 back in the day and a mention in the top 3 games of that year; I fancy that was some individual staff members input. Otherwise 7 or 8 is a typical score for the best ones.

They gave Skyrim a 9, as I recall. I know that's a few years ago now, but I'm having far more fun with Witcher 3 than I ever did with Skyrim, with both plot and combat. I say that as someone who loved Skyrim at the time.

Skyrim combat is essentially 'rub against mob until it falls over'. Not slating it, I love Skyrim all modded out on my PC, but the combat is junk unless you are pure magic, and even then it badly needs a lock on or something.

The Witcher combat is the best when you are on the hardest difficulty, then enemies are slightly higher level than you, and you are having to really mix it up and throw everything you've got at the enemy.

Another night, another gush. Heading off on a treasure hunt before progressing the story... But on the way I investigated a few things and ended up doing some contracts without deliberately setting out to do so or 'kicking them off' by speaking to the person at the start of the quest. Particularly impressed by the hag in the graveyard one.

It's been a long time since I've wanted to take a holiday just so I could play a game....

The Witcher combat is the best when you are on the hardest difficulty, then enemies are slightly higher level than you, and you are having to really mix it up and throw everything you've got at the enemy.

I put it on the highest difficulty earlier (I was on the one below) and I'll see how it goes. I've done a few fights and it doesn't feel too different, just that I have to use the shield sign more often and dodge a lot more. Oh, and it probably goes without saying that the combat system is far better than that in Skyrim.

I've now got the quest to... (I think this is quite a late spoiler, so definitely don't read it if you haven't put dozens of hours into the game)

Gather my allies for the fight at Kaer Morhen after I rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists. How much more do I have left? It feels like I'm approaching the endgame but I have a feeling it's going to through a curveball and there will be some more stuff after. That might be wishful thinking though

I put it on the highest difficulty earlier (I was on the one below) and I'll see how it goes. I've done a few fights and it doesn't feel too different, just that I have to use the shield sign more often and dodge a lot more. Oh, and it probably goes without saying that the combat system is far better than that in Skyrim.

I've now got the quest to... (I think this is quite a late spoiler, so definitely don't read it if you haven't put dozens of hours into the game)

Gather my allies for the fight at Kaer Morhen after I rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists. How much more do I have left? It feels like I'm approaching the endgame but I have a feeling it's going to through a curveball and there will be some more stuff after. That might be wishful thinking though

You're in the middle of Act 2 (you can work out what the climax event of Act 2 is :))

Act 3 is the shorter of the main story questlines, but not by much.

It also depends how much side content you've done/left/will do - although more unlocks as the story progresses.

You're prob only about 2/3rds of the way through (at most) at a guess.

I've done quite a few side quests but I think I may leave the rest (apart from the ones that sound really cool) and just finish it all on a NG+ play through. It'd be nice to just explore with everything at the right level. It's no fun when you're mid 20s and you find a pack of wolves that are level 9 and can't do anything to you.

I'm pretty gutted that my Gwent cards won't carry over though :(