The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Captain Kelsten

Just finished the main game for the second time (I lost my completed saved game a while ago, decided to start all over) and it was as good as before. I got fed up with Skellige much earlier than in my first play through though, at least half the peninsula is still covered in question marks.

Christ - they've really upped the difficulty in Hearts of Stone.

Coming from saving the world, getting roundly fucked over by wild boar is fast losing its appeal.

It's consistently feeling like everything's a good two-three levels above me, whilst I'm on level 37 and was having no such issues with anything else.

I'm not in it for the challenge - I'm in it for the story :P

I'm getting better now - a lot of the new enemies have got very different attack patterns, so have had to relearn a whole lot of stuff.

The story is going marvellously though - there's some great stuff in it and everything feels 'right'. Nothing feels tagged on, which is usually the curse of most DLC stuff (Bioware, I'm looking right at you...).

I'm having a feeling where the next expansion is going to go already...

Hmmm maybe it's just me, then. It goes to my one rpg frustration - not knowing whether this is just a difficult bit, or whether it's my own fault with skills / equipment / etc. My level is fine, and at least it's clear about showing you that.

To be clear, I'm talking about

the frog boss

Hmmm maybe it's just me, then. It goes to my one rpg frustration - not knowing whether this is just a difficult bit, or whether it's my own fault with skills / equipment / etc. My level is fine, and at least it's clear about showing you that.

To be clear, I'm talking about

the frog boss

It's definitely difficult but - as I've found out - it kind of trains you on how a lot of the combat seems to play out in this.

Just a combat spoiler here:

I'm now dodging and rolling considerably more than I did through the whole of the main game

Which is kind of odd, but I have now got used to it.

I should say that it's very well worth getting through that pain barrier. The story being told here is absolutely fucking brilliant. Quite honestly, the Eurogamer review harping on about whether it's DLC or a proper expansion is just daft.

Narratively speaking it's doing a whole load of new stuff - the length of it is just letting stuff breathe so well.

It's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)

I did and think highly of Shadow Broker. Hearts of Stone offers a ridiculous amount of content that is guaranteed to surprise and entertain you. If you enjoyed The Witcher 3 you owe it to yourself to play Hearts of Stone.

10/10

I did and think highly of Shadow Broker. Hearts of Stone offers a ridiculous amount of content that is guaranteed to surprise and entertain you. If you enjoyed The Witcher 3 you owe it to yourself to play Hearts of Stone.

10/10

Mass Effect DLCs were good but so much more limited than this. And only ever really dealt with one thing (honourable exception for Citadel, kind of), whereas Hearts of Stone has so much goddamn stuff in it.

Agreed. Massive spoilers.

I truly appreciated the curveballs it kept throwing. More than a handful of times my audible reaction went from "Ah, I can see where this is going." to "This is not what I expected at all". I met a cheeky bugger with bad-guy written all over him, I killed a prince, got kidnapped by "exotic" folk, went to an auction with Vivaldi, took part in a heist, entertained a ghost at a wedding, solved a very eerie mysterie and defeated "Evil".

A lesser studio would have charged 10 quid for "Go with Yenn to a certain place and kill a bad guy you have never heard of".

Agreed. Massive spoilers.

I truly appreciated the curveballs it kept throwing. More than a handful of times my audible reaction went from "Ah, I can see where this is going." to "This is not what I expected at all". I met a cheeky bugger with bad-guy written all over him, I killed a prince, got kidnapped by "exotic" folk, went to an auction with Vivaldi, took part in a heist, entertained a ghost at a wedding, solved a very eerie mysterie and defeated "Evil".

A lesser studio would have charged 10 quid for "Go with Yenn to a certain place and kill a bad guy you have never heard of".

You could just have said 'Bioware would have charged...'

That's a bit unfair, if you ask me. Mass Effect's dlc was quite substantial for the most part.

No, it really wasn't - only Citadel was, really. Shadow Broker was the most varied and involved one until Citadel and it was about a 6th of the size and variety of Hearts of Stone.

And when it comes to Dragon Age DLC, 'Go to a certain place and kill a bad guy you have never heard of' describes basically all of it.

It's really good.

It's so good that if anything it seems like cut-from-the-main-game DLC but it's still worth it anyway as the original game isn't exactly scrimping on value for money.

Everyone that played and enjoyed Witcher 3 should get the DLC.

Hearts of Stone has been really good so far, I think better than any main base game quest, or at least as good as the top three.

I love how complex and rich Olgierd and other characters are, the visuals, and the nice relaxing pace of it all. Also the choice. I guess that's Witcher 3 for you.