The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Captain Kelsten

I have to say, so far, I honestly believe Heart of Stone to be better than anything in the main game, I'm amazed how good it is.

A couple of things I noticed last night which I loved:

The "Merchant with the pearl earring" painting, and the nod to GTAV heists. (That's where I'm up to)

Amazing value this, might be the best DLC I've ever bought.

Fallout4 has it's work cut out!

This isn't much of a spoiler for Hearts of Stone but it does cover some details of the first half of it, so:

I enjoyed the expansion so much that I went back to resume my second playthrough of the full game and I realised that one of the three 'junk notices' that Geralt talks about at the Seven Cats Inn was actually placed by Shani. A graduate of Oxenfurt University seeking a beau to attend a friend's wedding, and warning that she's completed the Redanian Army's women's self defence courses too in case anyone gets too fresh. :lol:

It's incredibly obvious that it's Shani when you actually know what's coming.

This game is without a doubt one of the best I've played in years, not just this year.

I must have put in countless hours and I'm still nowhere near finishing (I've only just got to Skelliige after finishing up the main questlines in Novigrad and Velen). That still hasn't stopped me from buying Hearts of Stone (Although I've since realized I'm at waaaaaay to low a level to start it just yet)

Just out of interest how far through the game am I? (I suspect it's quite a low percentage!)

I'm not sure I should admit it, but I've passed the 200 hour mark...admittedly, that is on two run throughs, but I'm fairly sure it's gonna pass this mark as I want to play it again.

Definitely the best game I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

And yeah I agree about the expansion being fantastic. I don't know about better than the base game but certainly just as good as its best quests.

That's me sold.

Does it integrate with the story or is it a bolt on to the end? I.e. If I start a new game will it be embedded?

That's me sold.

Does it integrate with the story or is it a bolt on to the end? I.e. If I start a new game will it be embedded?

It gets embedded when you hit Velen if you're playing it through from scratch, although it actually works in perfectly well after the main game has run it's course - kind of like a 'back to the day job' kind of thing for Geralt.

They've thoughtfully provided a few nice little touches in the dialogue depending on when you start it though, from what I gather :)

That's me sold.

It's in the game world, it basically fills up the empty top right of the map in Velen - although the enemies are level 32+ so really not to be messed with until you're almost near the end of the main story quest anyway.

It gets embedded when you hit Velen if you're playing it through from scratch, although it actually works in perfectly well after the main game has run it's course - kind of like a 'back to the day job' kind of thing for Geralt.

They've thoughtfully provided a few nice little touches in the dialogue depending on when you start it though, from what I gather :)

Yeah, there's actually a bunch of new dialogue for stages of the main quest if you do Hearts of Stone during it. The minimum level is 32 or so though, so you're unlikely to do it before being near the end of the game at least.

Oh, you can also start a new game specifically for the expansion and it'll give you a level 32 Geralt and only have side quests enabled.

I'm level 32, almost 33 now, and seem to have been playing this all summer. I'm guessing I'm nearish to the end of the main quest now - I'm seeking the sunstone in the final preparations quest, with all other parts of that quest ticked off. All the same I'd like to finish with master crafted feline armour and swords so I at least need to hit level 34 to equip that (and find the diagrams of course). There are two or three other quests I'd ideally like to sort out too. Hmmmm...

Oh and I'll leave the dlc for some other time :)

Well, don't leave us hanging, what ending did you get?

Haha, well

Ciri survived as a Witcher (I'm assuming she might not've survived or might not have ended as a witcher?), I'd already killed Radovid so Emhyr effectively won the north but then let Temeria rule itself hence forth, albeit under his ultimate authority I guess, Geralt went off to live peacefully with his true love Triss ('d have preferred him falling for Yenn to be honest), Yenn went off north somewhere and Cerys, queen of Skellige, now rules the islands in peace and has more or less put stop to their raiding. The Baron had killed himself yonks ago and Keira Metz ditto had long gone off with another witcher. Um... thats it I think :)

The combat is a slap in the face. Those boars do not fuck around. In case you do not know, the second tier of the Shield sign is a god send as it is basically free healing. That one in combination with second tier Mind Control is you chilling out whilst enemies kill each other.

Oh for fuck's sake. I started Hearts of Stone today. Not only did I forget how rubbish the combat is in this, but I won a horse race, only to be told I lost it. Er, I definitely fucking beat the guy I was racing. :rolleyes:

Same old amateur CD Project Red. <_<

The fact that you secretly think AC Syndicate is better than W3 says a lot actually. :P

Oh for fuck's sake. I started Hearts of Stone today. Not only did I forget how rubbish the combat is in this, but I won a horse race, only to be told I lost it. Er, I definitely fucking beat the guy I was racing. :rolleyes:

Same old amateur CD Project Red. <_<

Hearts of Stone is fucking excellent. I'm midway through it, and it clearly puts to shame other devs for DLC. The quality on offer here is off the scale.

The Captain LeChuck Story