rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

4 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

I"m level 21 and heading to Skellige. Loving this obviosly.

I'm around the same point I think, just finishing up in Novigrad but I've spent the last few days hopping around Velen mopping up quests, fist fights and horse races. Thank God I can't stand Gwent so am just ignoring it or I'd never get the main quest done.

Quick question for those who have played this...

Spoiler

I finished the whole section with Triss and then headed to the assasination plot side quest. Went and found the bloke pretending to be a cobbler but then nothing seems to have come of that. Does it get picked up later, or am I missing something?

• Upvote 1

It gets picked up later. Keep an eye for a quest popping up called "Reasons of State". 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Thor said:

It gets picked up later. Keep an eye for a quest popping up called "Reasons of State". 

Thanks!

Completed the Bloody Baron quest and thought I might have gotten the bad ending but turns out I got what's considered the good ending (relatively, I guess, since...

The kids are dead and Anna has gone crazy and has no choice but to be taken off by the man who spent years drunkenly abusing her

I seem to finally be reaching the point I was at when I drifted away from the game on my first playthrough, around Novigrad, although I actually have no recollection of finishing the Bloody Baron quest first time round. It's a fantastic game but the more I play the more I find the clunky UI an irritant. Not enough to put me off the game but having to repeatedly pause the game to change bombs and reapply oils and swap out potions is a chore. Having oils run out after 20 hits seems pointless given you have an unlimited supply of them. 

The crafting interface could be so much better too. I don't want to have to scroll through tons of level 1-9 gear to find stuff I might actually want to craft at my current level. Just basic things about the UI I'm surprised they didn't improve with all the post-launch patches the game had. It's all tolerable in light of how good the game itself is but it's dangerously close to death by a thousand cuts at times where no individual aspect is a disaster but together, over tens of hours, they combine to become a drag. I hope Cyberpunk is considerably more thoughtful with its UI and quick access menus. 

I expect a massive improvement to UI in Cyberpunk. CPR are really good as listening to feedback. 

About halfway through my new game+ playthrough on Switch. Amazing how many things I missed on my first playthrough. Truly a brilliant game. Hoping I get a slightly better ending this time. Plus I haven't even touched either dlc yet! 

• Upvote 1

Not being able to see which items I don’t have at a merchant, particularly herbalists, is something I hope they change. Pain in the backside chasing missing ingredients and I don’t want to have to use guides and the like as that spoils the fun

22 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Not being able to see which items I don’t have at a merchant, particularly herbalists, is something I hope they change. Pain in the backside chasing missing ingredients and I don’t want to have to use guides and the like as that spoils the fun

Assuming I understand what you mean, you can actually do this but it's not particularly intuitive and still a bit cumbersome. If you pin a potion or armour/weapon in the alchemy/crafting menus and then visit a merchant/herbalist, the ingredients they have in stock you need for the pinned recipe will have a white box around them and if you move over the item it will show how many you need for the pinned recipe and how many you have in your inventory. 

It's still not perfect as you can only pin one alchemy recipe and one crafting recipe at at time though. 

My biggest easily rectifiable annoyance with the UI is wasting the left and right D-Pad inputs on sheathing and unsheathing your swords when Geralt automatically does this when you enter/leave combat anyway. They would be so much better as quick inputs for oils/bombs/more potions.

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

My biggest easily rectifiable annoyance with the UI is wasting the left and right D-Pad inputs on sheathing and unsheathing your swords when Geralt automatically does this when you enter/leave combat anyway. They would be so much better as quick inputs for oils/bombs/more potions.

It's needed for choosing/switching swords when you encounter a mixture of monsters and beasts/people. 

3 hours ago, Majora said:

Assuming I understand what you mean, you can actually do this but it's not particularly intuitive and still a bit cumbersome. If you pin a potion or armour/weapon in the alchemy/crafting menus and then visit a merchant/herbalist, the ingredients they have in stock you need for the pinned recipe will have a white box around them and if you move over the item it will show how many you need for the pinned recipe and how many you have in your inventory. 

It's still not perfect as you can only pin one alchemy recipe and one crafting recipe at at time though. 

Yep, just the fact you can only pin one recipe. It’s not a huge deal, but would have been a nice quality of life thing. 

I've just finished the main game. I've been dying to get to Toussaint!

toussaint.png

:wub: aww yesss!

• Upvote 1

I had a hankering to come back to this after seeing people talk about the Switch version.  I never finished it when I first played it on PC, but I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through.  Downloaded it over the weekend, and still got my old save, but booted it up and realised I've completely forgotten how to play it, and have no idea what's going on with the story.  I walked around for about 10 seconds then quit out.  Need to pluck up the courage to go back and work it all out again.

• Upvote 1

I'm just about at the end of Heart of Stone main quest... it's been excellent and really varied.  More so than anything in the main game quest.

• Upvote 3

It's arguably the best story of all the content available. 

• Upvote 2

I agree. So far the wedding celebration has been my favourite part of the game.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I had a hankering to come back to this after seeing people talk about the Switch version.  I never finished it when I first played it on PC, but I think I'm about 3/4 of the way through.  Downloaded it over the weekend, and still got my old save, but booted it up and realised I've completely forgotten how to play it, and have no idea what's going on with the story.  I walked around for about 10 seconds then quit out.  Need to pluck up the courage to go back and work it all out again.

That’s defo not the best solution to working it all out again. 

Just finished Hearts of Stone and got the best ending. Cracking stuff. Great story and quite moving.

• Upvote 2

Rumour is the new Switch patch is being rolled out soon - it allows cross save with Steam and GoG versions and has a load of image enhancement options. 

Edit: Pics!

FB_IMG_1582011890019.jpg

FB_IMG_1582011881163.jpg

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Might just restart from the beginning.

I picked it back up after a long time away and it just takes an hour or so to get completely back into the swing of it. All the systems are pretty simple so I think you should be fine if you give it some time. If you start again you'll just get annoyed at how you have to go through everything again once you are back in tune with it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I picked it back up after a long time away and it just takes an hour or so to get completely back into the swing of it. All the systems are pretty simple so I think you should be fine if you give it some time. If you start again you'll just get annoyed at how you have to go through everything again once you are back in tune with it.

Yeah, I did actually start over again, did the little tutorial in the castle with Ciri, and it all came back to me then, so I went back to my old save and carried on playing from there and had a smashing time.  The crafting and the levelling up skill tree stuff all looked a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll work it all out again.  And I can't remember how to play Gwent... Noticed that the date on my old save was August 2016!

I'm level 21, and my next main quest is to recruit allies and go to the Isle of Mists.  Any idea how close to the end of the main story I am there?

Also, with the two DLC expansions, are they best left until I complete the main story?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Yeah, I did actually start over again, did the little tutorial in the castle with Ciri, and it all came back to me then, so I went back to my old save and carried on playing from there and had a smashing time.  The crafting and the levelling up skill tree stuff all looked a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll work it all out again.  And I can't remember how to play Gwent... Noticed that the date on my old save was August 2016!

I'm level 21, and my next main quest is to recruit allies and go to the Isle of Mists.  Any idea how close to the end of the main story I am there?

Also, with the two DLC expansions, are they best left until I complete the main story?

Do Heart of Stone before you finish the main game. If you are are off to Isle of Mists, I would say you could probably go and do HoS now and then go back to the main quest as you are kind of on the home straight.

Then do B&W after you've finished the main game as it's an entirely new area and significantly longer than HoS.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Do Heart of Stone before you finish the main game. If you are are off to Isle of Mists, I would say you could probably go and do HoS now and then go back to the main quest as you are kind of on the home strait.

Then do B&W after you've finished the main game as it's an entirely new area and significantly longer than HoS.

Perfect, cheers!

13 hours ago, Thwomp said:

Blood and Wine is brutal :(

They let you go there pretty early but it’s really an endgame expansion. You can always roll up a Lv30 character just for that

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

Recommend you be around level 34 before going into Heart of Stone.

That's kind of mind-blowing for me: I'm level 20, just doing the opening quests in Skellige and I've been playing for what feels like forever. Yet my quest log is full of stuff I'm either meaning to get back to, or aren't the right level for yet, and everywhere I go is just opening up more and more stuff. The speed at which I'm levelling is, if anything, getting slower. It's going to be ages and ages before I even get to the end of the main game, isn't it, let alone the two expansions?

(I'm not complaining, of course, game is incredible)

• Upvote 1

The new switch patch also apparently has GOG cross saves as well. As for the graphics options, well we knew they were in there with the hack. Cannot wait to get back into this, Took some time off it to play Luigis mansion and Yooka Laylee.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's kind of mind-blowing for me: I'm level 20, just doing the opening quests in Skellige and I've been playing for what feels like forever. Yet my quest log is full of stuff I'm either meaning to get back to, or aren't the right level for yet, and everywhere I go is just opening up more and more stuff. The speed at which I'm levelling is, if anything, getting slower. It's going to be ages and ages before I even get to the end of the main game, isn't it, let alone the two expansions?

(I'm not complaining, of course, game is incredible)

yeap. Pretty much. Contracts and treasure hunts can ramp up your experience quite quickly. Provided there isn’t a red skull on the mission indicator you can go for it. It pays to do a mission that’s a bit above your level. 

Just checked my old GOG save on my PC and see that my Geralt was wearing a rather nice red number. Pity my save wasn't furthur along than my switch one but hey ho.