rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

On 16/02/2020 at 12:37, Vorgot said:

Not being able to see which items I don’t have at a merchant, particularly herbalists, is something I hope they change. Pain in the backside chasing missing ingredients and I don’t want to have to use guides and the like as that spoils the fun

I was writing lists of shit on paper and taking pictures of stuff on the screen with my phone like some sort of lunatic :lol: 

• Upvote 1

why can't I see the patch?  It says I've got version 3.4.  I'm on wifi.  I attempt to update, it says I'm up to date.  I start the game.  It says I'm on version 1.6.  Nothing happening.?!?

If they give us cross saves with Xbox I'm in. Never done the DLC and would love to get it done on the train into/from work. 

1 hour ago, Mugman said:

If they give us cross saves with Xbox I'm in. Never done the DLC and would love to get it done on the train into/from work. 

Pretty sure MS have teased XBL cross-save already haven't they? 

That new patch is a huge improvement for handheld mode graphical fidelity. 

9 minutes ago, memories said:

What's worth putting on and off with the new update?

I'm still tinkering and waiting for different time of day/lighting conditions* but i like the crispy look of:

Max Sharpness

Max Foliage Visibility (the pop in on anything less is jarring)

Bloom*

Lightshafts*

Everything else off.

• Upvote 1

Man, PC cross saves is fantastic. But my main save is hostage on PS4. PS4 saves on Switch is never going to be a thing, is it? :(

• Empathy 2

I can't decide whether there's too much side content in this or not. Which sounds absurd but I still haven't gotten to Novigrad at level 12 and I'm still swimming in side content and I almost find it a bit paralysing deciding what to do next at times because:

A) The recommended level for Novigrad is 10 and Skellige is 16. If I carry on leveling up at the rate I am doing side missions then the main quest will end up being a cakewalk. On the other hand, if I focus on the main story then the side content will start becoming trivial also - I already have some side quests saved in my log that are like level 6 and I almost can't be bothered going to do them now.

B) There's this weird conflict between the supposed urgency of the main quest and how I'm actually playing it. This is true of a lot of open world games to be fair but because the writing in this is so exceptional in comparison to most games, it stands out all the more that on one hand I'm supposed to urgently be on Ciri's trail before it goes cold and the Wild Hunt get her and the fact that I'm literally doing side quests involving a stolen frying pan :lol:

The more time I spend doing side quests the more I lose any real sense of peril or urgency in the main quest. I can only really think of a couple of open world games that avoided this - Arkham City and BOTW. The former built in natural 'breaks' in the main story where you were basically told to go off and do some side stuff until the main quest was ready to start again so you didn't feel too guilty, and BOTW framed the whole story in such a way that much of the damage had already been done and Zelda had been keeping Ganon under control for 100 years. You never really felt like there was a huge sense of urgency to rush through the main missions because Zelda had things under control until you were ready. 

I don't know how you balance a story like this with such a wealth of side content really, I just find myself in the weird position where I'd quite like my quest log to stop growing for a little while?

2 hours ago, Majora said:

I can't decide whether there's too much side content in this or not. Which sounds absurd but I still haven't gotten to Novigrad at level 12 and I'm still swimming in side content and I almost find it a bit paralysing deciding what to do next at times because:

A) The recommended level for Novigrad is 10 and Skellige is 16. If I carry on leveling up at the rate I am doing side missions then the main quest will end up being a cakewalk. On the other hand, if I focus on the main story then the side content will start becoming trivial also - I already have some side quests saved in my log that are like level 6 and I almost can't be bothered going to do them now.

B) There's this weird conflict between the supposed urgency of the main quest and how I'm actually playing it. This is true of a lot of open world games to be fair but because the writing in this is so exceptional in comparison to most games, it stands out all the more that on one hand I'm supposed to urgently be on Ciri's trail before it goes cold and the Wild Hunt get her and the fact that I'm literally doing side quests involving a stolen frying pan :lol:

The more time I spend doing side quests the more I lose any real sense of peril or urgency in the main quest. I can only really think of a couple of open world games that avoided this - Arkham City and BOTW. The former built in natural 'breaks' in the main story where you were basically told to go off and do some side stuff until the main quest was ready to start again so you didn't feel too guilty, and BOTW framed the whole story in such a way that much of the damage had already been done and Zelda had been keeping Ganon under control for 100 years. You never really felt like there was a huge sense of urgency to rush through the main missions because Zelda had things under control until you were ready. 

I don't know how you balance a story like this with such a wealth of side content really, I just find myself in the weird position where I'd quite like my quest log to stop growing for a little while?

Just do whatever you want. I remember debating something similar a while back when someone was grumbling about games not respecting the players time. They simply couldn't grasp the idea that the problem was them, not the game. I'm not saying that's you, it just reminded me of that. Do whatever you want, the game will not punish you for it. :)

15 hours ago, scottcr said:

My game won’t update.... wtf?

It might have already updated - that's what happened to mine. I was getting pissed off that it wouldn't update until I launched it and found all the new features were already there waiting for me. I guess it must've auto-updated at some point and I didn't notice.

didn't auto-update overnight - but did a forced check again this morning and this time it found the update.  Strange.

Not entirely sure if I like AA on or off - I had become quite used to the look of it being on all the time by default.

18 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Man, PC cross saves is fantastic. But my main save is hostage on PS4. PS4 saves on Switch is never going to be a thing, is it? :(

Same for me, but I picked up Witcher 3 for the Switch whilst I was travelling for work and started it again from scratch. I'm still nowhere near my PS4 save, but I'm happier to abandon that one completely and do it all again now I can play the same save on my PC at home and the Switch when I'm travelling/hiding in the loos at work.

I tested it out briefly this morning too and it works every bit as described. I was able to pickup my Switch save on the PC, do the next bit of the quest I was on, save it and pick it up again on the Switch.

It's a legitimate 'dream come true' feature for me.

I've settled on AA with high sharpness and everything else enabled.  I'm still astounded some times about how awesome this is on the switch.  Second to BOTW as the best game on the console now IMO... 

• Upvote 2

Morning Witchers.

Quick question... do you need to be a certain level to get into the expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine)?

Watching the Netflix series has got me all excited to get my Geralt on again and I never played the DLC first time round. However after putting 150 odd hours into it on PS4, I'm now primarily on Xbox (and it's available on Game Pass) so I was thinking about starting again, but want to get onto those expansions as soon as possible really.

You can start a new game with Geralt already at the desired level for each expansion on Switch, assume the same on GP?

The GamePass version doesn’t come with the expansions though - you’d have to buy them (or the GOTY edition) separately. 

8 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Morning Witchers.

Quick question... do you need to be a certain level to get into the expansions (Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine)?

Watching the Netflix series has got me all excited to get my Geralt on again and I never played the DLC first time round. However after putting 150 odd hours into it on PS4, I'm now primarily on Xbox (and it's available on Game Pass) so I was thinking about starting again, but want to get onto those expansions as soon as possible really.

you can jump right in with a suited and booted leveled up Geralt.  I've only done the main quest of Hearts of Stone so far and a few side quests - the HoS quest has a better story than the main game.  

BTW - quick question.  That whole area where Heart of Stone takes place, full of level 33-35 baddies... was that exclusive to the DLC?  It's a pretty large area!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The GamePass version doesn’t come with the expansions though - you’d have to buy them (or the GOTY edition) separately. 

Ah didn’t realise that was the case. Presume you can buy the DLC from the store and it would offer the same new game options?

The Blood and Wine expansion is best left until you've finished the main game, it's so huge you could just about consider it a sequel, the story, although pretty self-contained fits better after the conclusion of the main story, and it's a nice farewell to the game to spend 40 hours in a lovely, warm, colourful environment.

And to people struggling to get through the side stuff I always say TURN OFF RHE QUESTION MARKS. Makes the exploration much better and you don't get bogged down in chasing mini quests for hours. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2020 at 15:02, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I was writing lists of shit on paper and taking pictures of stuff on the screen with my phone like some sort of lunatic :lol: 

Now theres an idea! I'm the king of lists and scribbles with games but had avoided it in Witcher so far but I may have to change that

For those "struggling" with the side content. Here is the recipe for success:

• For the first time I would suggest to follow the main story as it takes you and only do side quests if you need the money or simply if you are very close to one. Also, the main story is nicely gated behind the war and the Nilfgaard invasion and until you are able to cross into Novigrad, doing side quests fits perfectly with Geralt. He is a monster hunter after all, it's his job and this style also fits the books. 
  • Use level scaling so you don't have to worry of out-leveling the main quest.
  • There are specific places where the storytelling is so incredible that you simply can't abandon it and do other things, at least not if you want to play it "properly'. Let the game lead you into those moments. 
  • Leave side content for the end. The world of W3 is designed to feel alive wherever you go and, actually, visiting villages for contracts after having finished the main quest gives you an incredible sense of place and nostalgia about...everything. Exploring a specific place actually after the end of the main quest is one of the most powerful moments in gaming history. Don't deny yourself this pleasure.
  • Do not play Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine before the end of the story. They are designed to be played after it and they work much better as extra 'Geralt chapters'. 
  • Don't feel like you have to complete everything in one go. Just play natural, be Geralt. 

:eyebrows:

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Cheers, yeah I know. :) I have £15 of MS credit sat there ready to be used so I was going to use that with the GP version for now (although will check the price on GOTY edition). 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

The Blood and Wine expansion is best left until you've finished the main game, it's so huge you could just about consider it a sequel, the story, although pretty self-contained fits better after the conclusion of the main story, and it's a nice farewell to the game to spend 40 hours in a lovely, warm, colourful environment.

As I mentioned, I put 150 odd hours into the PS4 version pre-DLC so as much as I'd potentially play through it all again sometime, I think I might just jump into the expansions with the pre-generated character on the Xbox for now to enjoy that content as "The Witcher 3: Part 2 and 3".