Jump to content

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt


Recommended Posts

Of course, it’s still fun but it’s also still an RPG video game where usually you would be rewarded with progression through XP that enables you to level up and add abilities. Obviously that still happens, but in a very stilted way and is a bit bizarre. Weird that you get a level 10 quest given to you on Skellige when the quest to even get to Skellige is level 16?

 

 Like I say, it’s not a dealbreaker as the story and script is impeccable but as an RPG fan, I would love to invest more time in my build and my ability tree but the rate at which you level can be so slow at certain points, it makes it all a bit redundant for a lot of the game. Likewise, the sheer amount of weapons I find that are worthless is disappointing because they don’t scale up with you. I would love to be able to pop open a chest and find an a amazing new weapon that I could chuck on that was better than what I have but that never happens and everything gets sold because I’m always running at a couple of levels higher than the game expects me to be rather than what I actually am. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Witcher 3 is one of the few games where I've genuinely been doing as much side content as I can regardless of any kind of XP or levelling considerations simply because it's all so much fun to play. I'd rather they let you do these for 1XP than give you loads of XP and leave you overpowered for everything else.

 

I don't think the levelling system adds much to the Witcher 3. The skill trees are uninteresting and there's way too much faffing about in inventory menus with a million different identical weapons. It feels like the whole game would have been even better if they'd streamlined it to concentrate on the really good stuff, i.e. the writing and questing, and cut out some of the RPG fluff that often feels like it's just in there because that's what people expect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Witcher 3 is one of the few games where I've genuinely been doing as much side content as I can regardless of any kind of XP or levelling considerations simply because it's all so much fun to play. I'd rather they let you do these for 1XP than give you loads of XP and leave you overpowered for everything else.

 

I don't think the levelling system adds much to the Witcher 3. The skill trees are uninteresting and there's way too much faffing about in inventory menus with a million different identical weapons. It feels like the whole game would have been even better if they'd streamlined it to concentrate on the really good stuff, i.e. the writing and questing, and cut out some of the RPG fluff that often feels like it's just in there because that's what people expect.

 

I agree. Once I got to a certain point where I has a full set of plans for Witcher gear at the basic level I used that and then upgraded it as I went. Don't think I found another weapon or pice of armour to help along the way. It might have been better to unlock skill points with story progression and have the story scale with your level so you could mess around with side quests to your hearts content. The main story is the games weak point, I do wonder how they will have changed Cyberpunk in respect to all of this, not been reading too much as I want to go in spoiler free

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vorgot said:

 

I agree. Once I got to a certain point where I has a full set of plans for Witcher gear at the basic level I used that and then upgraded it as I went. Don't think I found another weapon or pice of armour to help along the way. It might have been better to unlock skill points with story progression and have the story scale with your level so you could mess around with side quests to your hearts content. The main story is the games weak point, I do wonder how they will have changed Cyberpunk in respect to all of this, not been reading too much as I want to go in spoiler free


The main story is the game’s weak point? That’s not something I have heard often. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So, here's a thing. If, as it seems, CD do a Witcher game post Cyberpunk, how can they progress without Geralt.

 

Geralt is The Witcher. Can it be done without him? I'm sure no-one wants to play as a Raiden-figure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Festoon said:

So, here's a thing. If, as it seems, CD do a Witcher game post Cyberpunk, how can they progress without Geralt.

 

Geralt is The Witcher. Can it be done without him? I'm sure no-one wants to play as a Raiden-figure 


Plenty of other stories to be told in the Witcher world. A good chunk of the books go through ages without Geralt being in them, so wouldn’t be a problem. I maintain that a game featuring all G and his Wolf school chums getting pissed and recounting lengthy tales of their deeds would be fucking amazing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2020 at 22:48, Gordzilla said:

Compared to some of the other content the main plot pales.

 

Not so sure about that. There are a couple of main side quests like the Bloody Baron or the Skellige succesion which are superior in a vaccum, yes, but they are part of the main story as well and give it great depth. The use of side content like the above or the Kaer Morhen stuff make the whole triangle of love, family and enabling Ciri to choose her path an incredibly affecting tale, easily the best we have ever had in western RPGs in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree, the overall story is a cliché - "save the world". Its done very well, don't get me wrong, but I too found the side stuff in Witcher 3 better than the main plot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thor said:

I disagree, the overall story is a cliché - "save the world". Its done very well, don't get me wrong, but I too found the side stuff in Witcher 3 better than the main plot.


No, not really imo. The main plot is not about saving the world. Far from it. That is only an extension of the narrative, never the center of it. The main plot is about growth and finding your place. It’s like saying the Dark Knight is about stopping an evil guy called Joker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:

 

Managed to get to the final moments of the ‘best’ ending with a flawless no quests failed and although I’m sure I didn’t 100% do every quest was pretty pleased, clearing the quest log, even getting the ‘collect ‘em all’  achievement. Then just as the final, touching, scene starts, boom, ‘quest failed’ for some poxy side quest I didn’t even see pop up about me catching a horse. Last auto save was over an hour ago before the last quest so it’s buggered. Aaaagh, the OCD is real.....

 

Still bloody love it. 
 

on to blood and wine now to finally finish the game I started 5 years ago....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

tell you something but - Touissant is *gorgeous*.  Reminds me of my work experience in a rural part of France, walking back from the factory to the school we were staying at through rolling fields.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Is there anyway to download a GOTY save file on PC (GOG)?

 

I've just bought this game for the fourth time (all platforms), and i'd like to skip the parts i've played many times before, and jump to the boat headed for Skellige, or thereabouts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just started playing this for the first time ever. I've not really played any console games the past few years (4 year old and 2 year old stopped all that for a while). But I'm starting to get my life back and that means more games! And this was cheap and although I've got a hundred other games to play I wanted to start with this. I've read all the books, watched the TV show and know nothing about the game beyond the bits I've played. Just got to the bit where I'm off to kill a Griffin. Got my stinky herbs and ready to roll.

 

So far, so enjoyable. Bit worried about not knowing what to do with my experience points  and what sort of build to make, but I'm only level 2 or something so I'm sure I'll work it all out.

 

Any decent advice for first timers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think you're going to want to play Gwent (and there are quests where you enter tournaments) then get into the habit of playing all the vendors and barstaff at it to win their cards.

 

Save often.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now my thought is DO EVERYTHING, so I'll get my Gwent on. I died once and realised I hadn't saved for ages and, thankfully, it had autosaved not 2 minutes earlier. I will save often.

 

I may go kill a griffin at lunch time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started this a few weeks ago, but I think I'm suffering from fatigue. All I really want to do is kill monsters and get embroiled in intrigue, but there's so much filler I feel beat. I almost wish there were no RPG elements at all, because finding inkeeps to buy white gull ingredients from is fucking boring, and every sword or weapon I pick up is worse then my current or I can't use. I really don't care for the skill trees, just give me a decent combat system and monsters to kill. Although I'm ridiculously overlevelled, but can't even remember what's going on in the main quest. Currently arsing around on Skellige level 23, apparently I'm halfway through a level 11 quest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearts of Stone is pretty good isn't it? It seems to fix all the minor gripes I had about the base game. Yes, there is more "we need to do this but do these three things first" stuff but the 3 things are nice little stories in their own right. I just came across some new gear diagrams which are a possible upgrade, and weapons/armour that you get is mucg more viable to use. 

 

The characters so far are spot on as well, I'm not that far in, but am really enjoying it after finishing the main game a few months ago and taking a break from it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Hearts of Stone is pretty good isn't it? It seems to fix all the minor gripes I had about the base game. Yes, there is more "we need to do this but do these three things first" stuff but the 3 things are nice little stories in their own right. I just came across some new gear diagrams which are a possible upgrade, and weapons/armour that you get is mucg more viable to use. 

 

The characters so far are spot on as well, I'm not that far in, but am really enjoying it after finishing the main game a few months ago and taking a break from it. 


Hearts of Stone is probably my favourite ‘story’ in the game. It tells a cracking tale, olus you get to spend time with Master Mirror too! 
 

It’s spooky to boot.

 

Only thing I didn’t like about it is the woman who keeps on calling you ‘puss peepers’.

 

I so wanted to brutally murder her and blame it on Dandelion :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So following the open world thread, I'm looking for suggestions on settings, as I've just started this. 

 

So turn off quest markers? I've turned off the fish eye thing on the senses as that seemed fairly dreadful. Default difficulty? I'm not particularly after a dark souls style challenge here. Anything else worth considering for a first play through? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would turn off the mini map as well. It can be easy to focus on it rather than the gorgeous game world. Better to switch to the map regularly to check your bearings than to play the game following your horse GPS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/07/2020 at 19:21, Hylian said:

So following the open world thread, I'm looking for suggestions on settings, as I've just started this. 

 

So turn off quest markers? I've turned off the fish eye thing on the senses as that seemed fairly dreadful. Default difficulty? I'm not particularly after a dark souls style challenge here. Anything else worth considering for a first play through? 

 

Turn off quest markers but I'd notch the difficulty up a notch or even all the way.  At normal you don't really experience what the game has to offer in turns of combat etc, you can get away with running in and hacking and slashing so no reason to use bombs, oils or signs which means you are missing out.  Even at higher difficult combat isn't that hard if you pay attention, avoid packs and select the right skills - it is hard for the first few hours but you quickly get into the rhythm of it.  Oh and play Gwent - lots of Gwent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hylian said:

So following the open world thread, I'm looking for suggestions on settings, as I've just started this. 

 

So turn off quest markers? I've turned off the fish eye thing on the senses as that seemed fairly dreadful. Default difficulty? I'm not particularly after a dark souls style challenge here. Anything else worth considering for a first play through? 

 

Turn the difficulty up a notch and use level scaling so you can pop in and out of the main quest without being over leveled. In higher difficulties the combat system is really fun and preparation is needed, so you get the full Witcher experience. It may seem difficult at first but when you muster sidestepping and parry it becomes quite the ballet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hylian said:

What about the mini map? Is it at all feasible to play without it and the GPS tracking? Or does that way lie madness? 


You need the mini map, you don’t need the gps tracking. Turn the ? on to appear on the minimap, turn them off from the main map. When you are tracking a quest you can generally check the main pointer on the mini map. Mini map is also needed for investigation areas  and locating plants, although after a while you won’t need it for them, you can easily see which can be picked. If you are playing on a PC there are some great mods which makes the UI dynamic.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.