The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Captain Kelsten

That fight is terrible isn't it. I can not offer much advice besides keeping your hp up. It took more a dozen tries and I felt never in charge.

Bloody Baron is in Velen, just continue with the story and you are golden.

Um...what difficulty are you on Deef? Or how overleveled where you? (Or I suppose did you go strongly into sword skills) you're doing 900-1k hits...I'll lucky to hit 300

As I said I know what to do I think it's the repetition that makes it hard

Hard, and I have no idea about my level. It'd not surprise me if I want higher than the recommended level but not by much. The quest is level 26, shall we say I was 30. I have upgraded fast and strong attacks to the second tier, and activated all four.

That might be it then. Everything I have is in Signs (and I have no respec potions on me).

Aard - does minimal damage, blocked with shield.

Igni - minimal damage, blocked with shield. You can use Sanum to blind him for an opening, but he doesn't burn/stagger so you get 1 tick before it's back to dodge dancing.

Yrden - alternate is actually very helpful as it shoots/interrupts his combos.

Quen - Obvious, but his 3-4 hit combos can break it at the end, leaving you vulnerable to get stuntrapped for next hit (especially in phase 2)

Axaii - Very helpful - slows him down to let more hits in, but gotta find time to cast

The key to the last stage of that fight is:

just not getting hit by those combos that are giving you so much trouble. Don't even try to hit him while he's doing them, except for the ones that give you an opening because he keeps going after you dodge out of the way. Then hit him in the back, rinse, repeat. Be patient.

I'd have to go back a fair bit I don't think I've been able to free travel since before Isle of Mists (this quest seemed "locked in" too, but may have missed it)

I've nearly got it, just jarring switching up

I was proper stuck on a boss battle after several hours (no its not the werewolf!) and thought I'll drop the difficulty. I went down just one level and completely destroyed him! Sort of understand the complaints of how easy it is under the lower levels, just bumped it right back up after that.

The GOG Galaxy play time counter is broken for some reason... It's stuck at about 75 hours for a couple of sessions now. But the in-game counter doesn't look more promising either, it says I've played for 7 days, 8 hours. That's 176 hours! I thought I was going comparatively quickly through the game, but now it seems incredibly slow. I'm level 24 now.

Worked out my problem :doh:

Couldn't out of range of him on phase 2, not matter which way I side stepped....I forgot you could roll (never ever use it) for more range, you aren't as ready to counter attack...but you don't need it

VENGENCE!

Have to say, it doesn't happen very often, but when you get a whole load of nasty folk attacking you and you dodge, roll, cast signs and then cleave them into pieces without being hit, it's really very satisfying.

Yeah while the combat is a bit ropey in the majority of cases, when it all comes together and you're dodging and parrying and lopping off limbs left and right it is hella fun.

Today I ended up on some beach with an enormous pile of roughly equal level pirates and pretty much worked my way from one end to the other barely taking a hit.

Of course I then had to work my way back pawing through their dismembered corpses in case they had even the smallest amount of cash.

Spent most of the day on this. Probably the longest session in 2 weeks. Managed to power through a lot of the main story and got it back up to around my level, 30. Now polishing off a few secondary quests, already mopped up the quest giving contracts I had.

This game is so fucking huge. I've been doing little else but playing it and working since it came out and I still don't feel as if they end is in site.

Not for me this game sadly. :mellow: Perhaps I'm not the consumer for Witcher games (having disliked 1 and 2) although I did complete and enjoy Skyrim. My criticisms are all just about 5-6 hours played.

The landscapes are too samey. They make very realistic valley/bog/woods but that type of background becomes tiresome quickly. I've quit at the second zone admittedly, and I know there's a kind of Viking area later on, but this second area (which is huge and takes hours to explore) looks identical at the eastern edge to the way it does at the western edge. It felt like a chore to traverse it, going through samey graphics.

The menus in general are a chore to use, and I dislike potion crafting as a mechanic in general.

Looting was a case of just tapping X and sucking random shit that usually didn't matter. I felt more like a vacuum cleaner than a hero.

The controls are some of the worst in recent memory for a game of this calibre. I cannot stop where I want to stop, the character keeps running past it. The horse is clumsy but okay, but the landscape is so full of valleys, crags, etc that it's actually easier to go on foot because you can jump/climb over them.

Admittedly I'm coming off Bloodborne, which has an incredible combat system, but the Witcher 3's combat is about GTA quality, didn't seem to be enough timing or skill involved if you just go for sword play.

The levelling is too slow to be rewarding, the abilities you unlock are pretty inconsequential and the loot is slow to come, unless you craft, and crafting requires using the menus and picking up tedious shit.

The side-quests are the usual RPG fair, albeit with the new feature of having animated/voice acting for each of them, but that doesn't hide the horribly repetitive nature. I started to dread the "?" for they meant the usual chores and rarely gave rewards, aside from seeing NPC X say something different.

The main quests (in the time I played) are no more exciting that then the side-quests, being usual go to point A, kill thing X, just with more voice acting and cutscenes. I liked the characters (the main character is a lot more likeable in this one) but he's a bit one-note, with your dialogue choices differing little.

The story is typical grim fantasy, Game of Thrones style "darkness" and though it's well done, it isn't varied enough. The world didn't hold any deeper mystery. Not enough fantasy for my fantasy liking.

Not trying to shit on the game, as I can see it has qualities, just explaining why I can't dig it. (null) Hoping Dragon Age will sort of RPG longings.

Wait hold on, it's fair enough that you don't like the game but if you think the quests/side quests aren't interesting or even well written in The Witcher 3 then Dragon Age will be an even bigger shock to you......

The combat's hardly Bloodborne standard, but it's a bit much to say it lacks skill. I'm focussing on swordplay myself, and I've found that you can die very quickly if you don't time your attacks, dodges and counters correctly. The abilities are designed so that you're not stuck if you don't pick a particular one, but they definitely make a difference. I'm at a point where attacks do no damage to me while I'm dodging for instance, and Quen damages and knocks back enemies. I can also block arrows while parrying, and my strong and quick attacks do a load of extra damage. On hard at least, button mashing will get you nowhere.

I'm not normally a big fan of crafting but it's really well done here. For one thing all the potions and oils replenish themselves, so I actually use the things instead of hoarding them for all eternity. All the ingredients are easily obtainable too.

Travelling in a straight line to your destination is usually a bad idea, and you'll find it's much easier, and indeed faster to use Roach and stick to the roads. He doesn't use stamina unless you go cross-country, so taking a slightly longer route is more than compensated for by his speed at full gallop. Or as Tom Francis put it, going super fast on a proper horse. :)

I've found both the main quests and side quests to be very well written, to the point where the side quests are just as satisfying as the main ones. Even the small scale stuff is varied and interesting, with a simple treasure hunt today tasking me with finding a way into a tower surrounded by water with a raised drawbridge.

No game is going to be to everyone's tastes, but from what you're saying it looks like there's at least some amount of "doing it wrong" at play here. ;)

The stuff the random villagers say is great. The one where the old man is telling his grand daughter a tale is funny.

"Ice encased his armour, and his eyes were burning like hot coals. He leaned o'er me, and whispered......Boo!" :lol:

Playing this on the PS4, and it's great. Realised I've selected the pretend save import option, and I've know got to answer a load of questions about what I did in the previous games. But I'me not played them. Anyone know of a site or something that can take me through the choices and what they mean?

The stuff the random villagers say is great. The one where the old man is telling his grand daughter a tale is funny.

"Ice encased his armour, and his eyes were burning like hot coals. He leaned o'er me, and whispered......Boo!" :lol:

Yeah, just wish he wouldn't say it every single time you visit the village though!

I've not been able to get on this for ages, itching to get back. Time for me to head to Skellige next!

Playing this on the PS4, and it's great. Realised I've selected the pretend save import option, and I've know got to answer a load of questions about what I did in the previous games. But I'me not played them. Anyone know of a site or something that can take me through the choices and what they mean?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8620223/witcher-3-guide-witcher-2-witcher

Anyways, finally arrived in Skellige at level 19. Looks lovely. Wasted no time in

banging Yen on the unicorn

, as at the end of the main quest in Novigrad I'd reluctantly

sent Triss packing

. I'm wondering, though:

is there a way to convince Triss to stay, without telling her you love her and thus potentially getting into hot water if you subsequently do the same with Yennefer?

I don't understand the criticism of combat in this game; you simply have so many options. Ideally you want to mix it up with signs (Quen, Axii, Igni are all useful plus Yrden for wraiths) and bombs / crossbow as well as the sword. Maybe it's a case of not playing on a hard enough difficulty. I find Geralt moves very fluidly and will dance around his enemies if you are on song. Building adrenaline quickly, converting that into greater sign damage, finding more potent oils to make quicker work of things, all help. I've died a huge number of times and doubtless will continue to do so when I resume, but it's always been my fault.

Maybe not an entirely fair comparison but in ESO as a duel dagger wielding assassin I was trying to defeat a dude a couple of levels above me who had an unfeasibly long great sword, hoping to stun him to get in a heavy or special attack, and that was not fun at all, no fluidity of movement, all my skills, blocks and evasions draining magicka and/or stamina; I really wished I could be Geralt.