Disgaea's Catalogue Number Is...

Juria

^That was a quote from Edge. I think they said exactly the same thing about Suikoden 3.

Anyways, it's by a smaller company and RPGs don't sell well in Europe, so it's not financially viable to sell it over here. Plus they're under the impression that they have to convert all the text to French, Spanish, German etc.., they /could/ release it in the UK and Australia and forget about Europe.. but who bought Shadow Hearts and Gregory Horror Show? About 500 people.

^That was a quote from Edge. I think they said exactly the same thing about Suikoden 3.

Anyways, it's by a smaller company and RPGs don't sell well in Europe, so it's not financially viable to sell it over here. Plus they're under the impression that they have to convert all the text to French, Spanish, German etc.., they /could/ release it in the UK and Australia and forget about Europe.. but who bought Shadow Hearts and Gregory Horror Show? About 500 people.

yes and its the same limited release reason which is why suikoden 3 never got a uk release ...

its a shame, especially as atlus are kings of the strategy rpg (well with the exception of camelots little dirty weekend away with sonic team)

but hey ho - serious about strategy rpgs, then youve gotta be serious about importing - we'll be importing our copy of arc the lad as soon as its gets its US release ...

just gotta find enought time to play the darn things!

Oh, it's Atlus... useless bastards. :o

useless might be a little harsh

id much rather they realise that releasing their games in europe is not economically viable and stay solvant by releasing a few games to their key target audience

those who want to play their niche games will, just as long as they keep pumping out those US releases their fans will be happy

useless might be a little harsh

id much rather they realise that releasing their games in europe is not economically viable and stay solvant by releasing a few games to their key target audience

those who want to play their niche games will, just as long as they keep pumping out those US releases their fans will be happy

Disgaea and Tactics Ogre: KOL are hardly niche games though. They've gotten great press, are for machines with big user bases and there is a proven audience (Koei, Square, Camelot, etc. manage to shift games over here).

They already have English translations in the bag, and Germany eats strategy stuff up.

It really seems that Atlus just haven't considered publishing or licensing out their games in Europe at all, the lack of progress they've made. I'd really like to know why.

Only Square games manage to shift any sort of half decent figures, and only the Final Fantasy ones do anything like near good business.. and even then barely making it into the top 10 for a few weeks. Maybe Atlus don't have a HQ here. They would need a big publisher to distribute and with RPGs doing crap and the top 10 being so mainstream, publisher's wont touch it with a 10 foot Nodachi.

As RPGs are niche gaming in Europe, they have to be released in one edition and spread over as large an area as possible to get as many sales as possible. In Europe, this means having to convert to the main languages. Releasing a Racer in the UK only, no problem, it will sell loads and just about be worth it.. sell an RPG in the UK only and it'll not get many sales, and only be released to one country with a 'small' population.

RE: me

if i changed my forum name then how would my fans know how to contact me

plus (as those who know me will testify) if i didnt occasionally make a tit of myself then my online persona would be totally different to the 'real world' Gloomy

ONTOPIC:

id have to agree with alot of whats already been said

they are niche games - especially with the advent of mainstream gaming (if thats not too bold a statement to make)

and as julia mentioned they'd have to stick in loads of languages and its not really worth it is it

id also have to disagree with auditor - atlas have tried to sell games over here - a few of their ps1 titles got PAL releases - and id imagine they didnt sell very well considering they've decided to not both with the majority of their titles ...

after all they are (id imagine) a small firm, whos main source of income comes from a very very niche market - we're not talking about mmorpgs, real time action rpgs, many of their games arent really that final fantasy fan friendly - they mainly deal in strategy rpgs - a sub genre of an already niche market - final fantasy sells okish but nearly every other rpg struggles ...

if disgaea doesnt get a uk release i certainly wouldnt blame those "useless bastards" atlus - the uk is just a difficult market to deal with - we're in an awkard part of the world and we're not very big - same argument can be made to stick up for noe etc but thats another totally different argument ... er i mean discussion :o

better buy it quick then, my one took ages and ages to come into stock, 2 months ago. it does say limited stocks. but if a test station is what I think it is, then you could use a 'gold disk' version for 'research' :o

ONTOPIC:

id have to agree with alot of whats already been said

they are niche games - especially with the advent of mainstream gaming (if thats not too bold a statement to make)

and as julia mentioned they'd have to stick in loads of languages and its not really worth it is it

id also have to disagree with auditor - atlas have tried to sell games over here - a few of their ps1 titles got PAL releases - and id imagine they didnt sell very well considering they've decided to not both with the majority of their titles ...

after all they are (id imagine) a small firm, whos main source of income comes from a very very niche market - we're not talking about mmorpgs, real time action rpgs, many of their games arent really that final fantasy fan friendly - they mainly deal in strategy rpgs - a sub genre of an already niche market - final fantasy sells okish but nearly every other rpg struggles ...

if disgaea doesnt get a uk release i certainly wouldnt blame those "useless bastards" atlus - the uk is just a difficult market to deal with - we're in an awkard part of the world and we're not very big - same argument can be made to stick up for noe etc but thats another totally different argument ... er i mean discussion :o

(in response to Guru, a bit, as well)

There seems to be some confusion over the term 'niche' here.

Apparently RPGs are niche, yet FF and KOTOR (and god knows what else) sell by the bucket load.

Apparently Strategy RPGs are niche-er still, yet FF:TA and Advance Wars do fine. Koei's Dynasty Tactics games get released over here, ffs*. Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem (and the new Shining Force, when it turns up) sell fine everywhere else in the world and a fair few copies are imported.

The European market is huge, even if you just support English, French, German and Spanish.

No one is saying they'd sell FIFA-like numbers, but thousands of games (including even more extremely 'niche' ones) are released in Europe each year where this is also the case. I just don't think that Atlus have their act together regarding international sales (as, realistically, they need to approach publishers to work with them in Europe as they have no European branch). I would be very, very surprised if Disgaea has actually been seen and turned down by every potential publisher.

*As an aside, even Irem's games get released over here. Irem!

Apparently RPGs are niche, yet FF and KOTOR (and god knows what else) sell by the bucket load.

Apparently Strategy RPGs are niche-er still, yet FF:TA and Advance Wars do fine. Koei's Dynasty Tactics games get released over here, ffs*. Tactics Ogre and Fire Emblem (and the new Shining Force, when it turns up) sell fine everywhere else in the world and a fair few copies are imported.

Final Fantasy and a Star wars game, both of which enjoy magazine space your average thousand arms or hoshigami could only dream of, are hardly indicative that Atlus RPG titles are becoming mainstream.

You can't really be arguing that Atlus SRPGs aren't niche? Just look at Atlus's entire PSone/2 back catalogue sales/ print run figures. Maybe I just misread your tone.

As far as I can tell, Atlus seem to have an excruciatingly small localisation team in America with one small yet thoroughly personable PR lady there and that's it. Despite the fact they've been going all these years they don't seem to care about investing in Europe.

Disgaea really should be hunted down by all people who love quality games though. It's my favourite game from last year and one that could seriously keep you going for years and years. I completed FF Tactics twice and there's nothing extra for the replay really. Disgaea is a title I keep dipping into and intend to for a very long time to come.

Final Fantasy and a Star wars game, both of which enjoy magazine space your average thousand arms or hoshigami could only dream of, are hardly indicative that RPG titles are becoming mainstream.

You can't really be arguing that Atlus SRPGs aren't niche? Or maybe just misread your tone.

As far as I can tell, Atlus seem to have an excruciatingly small localisation team in America with one small yet thoroughly personable PR lady there and that's it. Despite the fact they've been going all these years they don't seem to care about investing in Europe.

Disgaea really should be hunted down by all people who love quality games though. It's my favourite game from last year and one that could seriously keep you going for years and years. I completed FF Tactics twice and there's nothing extra for the replay really. Disgaea is a title I keep dipping into and intend to for a very long time to come.

The point I'm rather clumsily trying to make is that there's a difference between a game having a small potential audience and having none at all (say, a horse racing sim).

I think the genre is internationally understood, hence there being a US version of Disgaea.

It does sound from your description that Atlus are too small to do this themselves. A shame really - the dedicated hardcore will always be able to import, of course, but it limits their ability to introduce the game(s) to new audiences.

Hmm... The first game that makes me consider buying a Ps2.

This _was_ the game that made me buy a ps2. I picked up a copy on a work jolly in the US and then had to buy a chipped ps2 when I got back.

It lives up to the hype. I've had it for a while now but have put off properly getting into it until I've a clean slate and can waste the hours its demanding of me.

It takes the SRPG about as far in the direction of adding innovative new features to the core mechanic as you probably can without over-egging the pudding. I've no idea how their designers even begin to balance something with as many opportunities for combinatorial explosion as this.

Nippon Ichi's next game sounds equally innovative, something to do with island folk posessing inanimate objects to use as their soldiers. That's your second reason to get a PS2, then.

--Sam

I think the genre is internationally understood, hence there being a US version of Disgaea.

RPGs are mostly niche in Europe is what we said, and that's because they are unPOPULAR, not unKNOWN. There's a US version of Disgaea because RPGs sell well over there.

KOTOR doesn't count because it's a Star Wars game.. and barely an RPG.. you just point and wait :lol: but I digress..

Final Fantasy 7 got massive massive press and everyone bought it. Then everyone bought Final Fantasy 8 because of 7.. and didn't like it because its superficially the same and they only bought the game on hype. 9 and 10 and the Origins re-releases I don't think sold very well.

and even if they did okay, that doesn't mean that the rest of the genre does well at all. They don't. Shadow Hearts went into the bargain bins after 3 months and I can tell you that it's a fantastic RPG.. same goes with most of the other RPG releases in Europe, usually great but nobody wants to know.

Oh and JPickford, Disgaea IS like Vandal Hearts. I loved that game and I love Disgaea. ;) ;)

Why would RPGs sell better in the US than Europe? Where has this come from?

I always thought they did, otherwise why would companies bother releasing all those mad Japanese RPGs?

I assumed developers like Atlus didn't bother releasing over here because the potential audience is too small, if this is the case in America too, why release there?

I guess the larger the population, the more "hardcore" gamers!

;)

Edited by Laine