rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tonald Drump

Knytt Underground

I recently picked up Playstation Plus, and as this was one of the quickest freebies to download, chose this. It's good, so good in fact that I still haven't downloaded Mortal Kombat and the like.

It starts extremely simple, and at first seems no more than a low budget Limbo, but then it's charm draws you in. The first two chapters are basically a tutorial for the main event, chapter three. Like, the best games, this captures you with discovery and exploration, and it's clever in slowly leading you to realise that far off ledges and exits are achievable. The story, sure for what it is, is no more than simple fetch quests that lead to a lot of backtracking, but over time these snippets of gaming references and throw away lines also build upon the charming atmosphere.

Special mention has to be brought to the music, which is a delightful background and ambience, as you perplex over the many puzzles and the huge sprawling map.

It's a pity there's a lack of online reviews, as I had never heard of this previously and likewise had never engaged with the PC versions, so felt duty bound to bring this it's own thread. If you've got PS+, do yourself a favour and give it a go.

• Upvote 2

Done the first two chapters on vita and enjoyed it, though at times the controls are a little twitchy, leading to a few frustratingly long falls and lots of backtracking. But yeah, I was humming the main theme for ages afterwards. Will have a crack at chapter 3 over the weekend.

Been playing this a fair bit. I really like the atmosphere and ambience. The only problem is that I'm stuck at the end of chapter 1 and I seem to have done everything right but I still can't

get to the fairies, still need an artefact which I cannot find

It's a rather special game which has that something that makes you play even if it's frustrating or boring at the times. I also like that there are stretches of just exploring without the constant need to have puzzles all the time.

Finished this yesterday. The full world is huge, seriously huge. There are tons of little secrets and hidden areas as well, so I don't know if I only scratched the surface. I had a look on youtube for the secret ending and as it involves all the disorder stuff, which I didn't understand, there was no chance I'd ever get that. I've also now find some of the off map areas, including a N+ type area.

If you are a fan of Fez/Limbo/Braid you should get on this, because unfortunately it looks like this game is being criminally overlooked.

• Upvote 1

Finished this yesterday. The full world is huge, seriously huge. There are tons of little secrets and hidden areas as well, so I don't know if I only scratched the surface. I had a look on youtube for the secret ending and as it involves all the disorder stuff, which I didn't understand, there was no chance I'd ever get that. I've also now find some of the off map areas, including a N+ type area.

If you are a fan of Fez/Limbo/Braid you should get on this, because unfortunately it looks like this game is being criminally overlooked.

Are the first couple of hours a poor representation? Because if not this is nowhere near the quality of those games. It was meandering and dull and I had no desire to go back.

Yes, the first two chapters are really just tutorials. The full map is big, which does mean that there are a lot of fairly static screens that you wander through. I think I read that they are 1800 screeens in total. They do build to an ambience and atmosphere, and for a large part the game is simply trying to work out how to leave an exit, or move through a set order of screens to reach an object.

The story, is a bit all over the place, and the fairy dialogue is slightly amusing, but could also possibly irritate. However, it is a really clever puzzle mix, and that there is no handholding meaning it's all about discovery and adventure is it's biggest plus.

I think Fez and Limbo are better games, I didn't like Braid as much; but there is a lot of care and attention that has been put into the game, and it's down to the player to seek it out. It's a very sedate paced game, and once you get onto chapter 3 and see how the gameplay changes you'll realise why the screens have been designed as they are.