Shoe-horned 'famous people' cameos in TV shows

Gabe

any time hugh hefner turns up.

He was great in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, in fact Fresh Prince is one of the few shows I can think of that did cameos well.

They never tried to be subtle about it, or hide the fact it was their showbiz mates. Sometimes it would be a case of some convoluted story of how to get Bel Biv Devoe (?) to sing at some family function, the next it was them all appearing on Oprah or Hilary guest appearing on a dodgy TV show. Completely shameless but all the better for it.

The worst cameos now tend to be on The Simpsons, but that's more a case of the show being a shadow of its former self. The old episodes used celebrities well, nowadays it seems more like each celeb they use is just a tick in a box for some script writing collector.

• 1 month later...

I don't think we can count entourage can we? The premise of the show is the life of a Hollywood actor and how they basically "live the dream". Having loads of celebs being themselves just bolsters that theme so I think the cameos are perfectly valid.

I don't think we can count entourage can we? The premise of the show is the life of a Hollywood actor and how they basically "live the dream". Having loads of celebs being themselves just bolsters that theme so I think the cameos are perfectly valid.

Yeah, when I originally made this thread I specifically didn't include Entourage because the whole point was showing us the 'Hollywood lifestyle', which relied on cameos to enhance the world they were portraying. Some of them were still painful, of course, but not out of place.

Friends and the scene mentioned immediately came to mind. Even the regular cast looked a bit embarrassed as Robin Williams hamed it up.

Zombie Simpsons is a great way to describe the show at the moment. I remember Sky used to push the fact that they were the only ones showing the new episodes. Not so much these days. Celebs used to have actual roles as a character back in the day. Now it's just Lady Gaga...as Lady Gaga.

It's usually a good sign that a show is on its last legs when the celeb cameos start.

He was great in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, in fact Fresh Prince is one of the few shows I can think of that did cameos well.

They never tried to be subtle about it, or hide the fact it was their showbiz mates. Sometimes it would be a case of some convoluted story of how to get Bel Biv Devoe (?) to sing at some family function, the next it was them all appearing on Oprah or Hilary guest appearing on a dodgy TV show. Completely shameless but all the better for it.

Didn't Ronald Reagan show up in Fresh Prince once?

Friends and the scene mentioned immediately came to mind. Even the regular cast looked a bit embarrassed as Robin Williams hamed it up.

Zombie Simpsons is a great way to describe the show at the moment. I remember Sky used to push the fact that they were the only ones showing the new episodes. Not so much these days. Celebs used to have actual roles as a character back in the day. Now it's just Lady Gaga...as Lady Gaga.

It's usually a good sign that a show is on its last legs when the celeb cameos start.

The Simpsons has gotten slightly better when it comes to celebs. At least they don't now go 'hey look its Ricky Gervais, the writer if the office, extras and world famous comedian! Hey Mr Ricky Gervais please tell us some of your award winning comedy you are famous for.'

South Park does it well by making celebs random crap characters you'd never guess was voiced by someone not part of the cast.

Friends was always doing this. I remember when Father's Day was released, they had Billy Crystal and Robin Wiliams in the title sequence. Totally awful section, an embarrassment for all concerned.

What's annoying is when Bruce Willis gets involved as Rache's boyfriend. So in that episode where they watch Die Hard twice in a row, who was the actor? If it's Bruce Willis then they should be remarking on how similar Rachel's latest BF is to Bruce Willis.

Frasier had some god-awful ones later on. Namely Bill Gates, who gives Frasier a load of Xbox games.

The Simpsons s pretty obvious. But even in the good days they shoe-horned celebrities in; it all depends how it's written, and Ernest Borgnine coming out of a toilet wiping his hands is the way to do it.

The simpson's episode with baldwin, bassinger and Ron Howard is genius though.

Let's not let modern simpsons tarnish the classics. I was watching the one where Bart gets expelled and Lisa tried to stop whacking day. I laughed out loud about 20 times, it's amazing.

"did he say what's a battle?"

"no, rattle"

"really? it sounded like battle"

"i've got a cold"

"that makes b's sound like r's?"

"yes"

The simpson's episode with baldwin, bassinger and Ron Howard is genius though.

Let's not let modern simpsons tarnish the classics. I was watching the one where Bart gets expelled and Lisa tried to stop whacking day. I laughed out loud about 20 times, it's amazing.

"did he say what's a battle?"

"no, rattle"

"really? it sounded like battle"

"i've got a cold"

"that makes b's sound like r's?"

"yes"

That episode also contained a perfectly acceptable Barry White cameo. It fit the story and wasn't "oh look it's Barry White doing nothing in particular." He had to save all the snakes. With his deep voice.

Can't get enough of your love baaaaaby

Mike Tyson in The Hangover. They say his name about 15 times, "oh my god you guys that was MIKE TYSON the greatest boxer in the world!"

His one in Hangover 2 is even worse - I dread to think what his upcoming Hangover 3 one is going to be like.