IGNORED

Next Gen Choices

Robo_1

Next Gen Choices  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Technical specs, raw power and certainly media functionality have always played second fiddle in terms of justifying my purchase (within reason of course).

I think the thing about media functionality is we all kinda expect both machines to play Blu-rays and run Netflix and Lovefilm. Do we mean much else?

Not that they're not important, but they definitely don't sell the machine to me because I don't see what they can do in terms of media that the PS3 doesn't do now. I especially don't want any of that "augmented" television stuff Microsoft were trying to sell at the last E3, with their ridiculous "watch sports via Xbox and tell us your advertising preferences" veneer.

I guess power and the exclusives will play a big part for me. If they don't have any good exclusives that interest me then I might as well just stick with my PC. It also needs to be a good media hub too, as that's the only thing I use my PS3 for now really.

Price will play a big part too, and judging from some whispers I've heard it might be a nice surprise.

Available software range is the primary deciding factor, followed by having enough juice to allow the primary factor to be practical, so either Sony or Microsoft then basically, the PC would be the obvious choice, but those darn console manufacturers keep on bringing out the wallet and publishers still don't consider the PC viable for all multiplatform software releases.

For exclusives to be a primary factor, there would need to be a shedload to make it worthwhile if that platform can't deliver in width and depth of software availability aswell, otherwise the hardware would need to be dirt cheap, in a literally cutting their own throat and self-disembowelment sort of pricing level to justify it.

I think Sony need to get the Online experience right this time, the last time I played online on my PS3 it still felt massively inferior to 360's. At this moment in time I'd choose a PS4 if had to. But chances are I'll be getting both, just probably not both on launch.

Re: online service, its all in the head, if PSN feels massively inferior to LIVE its because you're not paying for one and want the other to feel superior, that's the only real explanation I've found, I wouldn't let any of that become an issue.

Is there some kind of reason that people are taking leave of their senses and making even the most preliminary decisions about whether or not to buy the new consoles when not a single piece of official information has come out about them? I mean, it's plausible that no consoles will be coming out this year. We don't know the console's name. We haven't seen a single screenshot or second of footage either system running anything. Not a single game has even been announced for them. I mean, just to pick on one person at random in this thread:

The 'Everything is Uncharted' has really put me off the new Xbox and PS4

Maybe you should wait until, I don't know, even a single Uncharted-like game has been announced for either theoretical system? Or just any game at all?

Honestly, it's like Schrodinger's cat, except we don't even know if cats even fucking exist.

If you include the previous sentence, it makes more sense.

He's saying that he's grown tired of the mainstream, generic. cookie cutter AAA console titles and doesn't see this changing with the next gen.

I don't think that's too presumptuous. I think it's safe to assume that hollywood will still be pumping out bland, crappy films next year, for example.

Putting aside your trademarked tedious-as-fuck PC supremacy wank (last time I checked all the "cookie cutter" games came out on PC as well, and it was XBLA that basically kicked off the indie scene in the first place), please name a single "mainstream, generic. cookie cutter AAA console title" announced for the next gen consoles.

I don't see how that RPS article is of any relevance to anything (and RPS is hardly an unbiased source in this anyway). Indie games have always existed, but the current indie game "scene" (and popular interest) pretty much starts with Braid, which launched as an XBLA exclusive. No one minds you playing games on your computer, it's you being an unending tireless bore about it that's the problem.

Putting aside your trademarked tedious-as-fuck PC supremacy wank (last time I checked all the "cookie cutter" games came out on PC as well, and it was XBLA that basically kicked off the indie scene in the first place), please name a single "mainstream, generic. cookie cutter AAA console title" announced for the next gen consoles.

Oh fuck me that's a gem

I don't see how that RPS article is of any relevance to anything (and RPS is hardly an unbiased source in this anyway). Indie games have always existed, but the current indie game "scene" (and popular interest) pretty much starts with Braid, which launched as an XBLA exclusive. No one minds you playing games on your computer, it's you being an unending tireless bore about it that's the problem.

Indie games have been around in one form or another as long as we've had home computers, and the current "scene" was around long before 2008. Dwarf Fortress was 2006, Cave Story and Alien Hominid were 2004 and there was already a recognised scene then (Introversion, Positech, PomPom etc. in the UK alone)

Saying Braid kicked things off is a bit like saying Modern Warfare invented the FPS.

Indie games have been around in one form or another as long as we've had home computers, and the current "scene" was around long before 2008. Dwarf Fortress was 2006, Cave Story and Alien Hominid were 2004 and there was already a recognised scene then (Introversion, Positech, PomPom etc. in the UK alone)

Saying Braid kicked things off is a bit like saying Modern Warfare invented the FPS.

There was an indie game "scene" before, but it was tiny, and no one except a tiny minority (and I include myself in that) gave a shit about them. The current indie game "scene" basically starts with Braid (as it showed that indie art-games could reach a large audience on - whisper it - consoles. It's kind of flowed back to PCs a bit more since then, but if it hadn't been for XBLA the big indie scene we have now with big Kickstarters Johann Sebastian Joust and pretentious "Game Spaces" in LA would not be getting any attention at all.

Re: online service, its all in the head, if PSN feels massively inferior to LIVE its because you're not paying for one and want the other to feel superior, that's the only real explanation I've found, I wouldn't let any of that become an issue.

Well they didn't have PSN the time I used my Playstation for online gaming so that might well be factor and it might be different now. When I did use it though it felt disjointed and not as reliable as the paid xbox live service.

Is there some kind of reason that people are taking leave of their senses and making even the most preliminary decisions about whether or not to buy the new consoles when not a single piece of official information has come out about them? I mean, it's plausible that no consoles will be coming out this year. We don't know the console's name. We haven't seen a single screenshot or second of footage either system running anything. Not a single game has even been announced for them. I mean, just to pick on one person at random in this thread:

Maybe you should wait until, I don't know, even a single Uncharted-like game has been announced for either theoretical system? Or just any game at all?

Honestly, it's like Schrodinger's cat, except we don't even know if cats even fucking exist.

I'm basing it on some info I have heard though, its not set in stone or anything like that obviously as things can change. Also, I'm almost sure they'll a new console this year, possibly two new consoles.

Star Wars 1313.

I've got such a backlog of stuff to play, I don't actually care about the next gen much. Games that might exist aren't exciting me as much as when I'll finally get around to playing Arkham Asylum (yes, I'm that far behind). Given that, it's unlikely I'll buy any of the new consoles until pretty late in their lives.

I still don't own a PS3. I'm more likely to buy one of those to mop up the games I've not had the chance to play than I am buy a new console of unknowns. I'll have a reasonable spec gaming PC to tide me over if there's any must-haves in the meantime.

I was primarily a 360 gamer this gen. I love XBLA and a while it was the best thing about console gaming. However, as things moved on, I found that Sony were getting better and I was happy to switch my main platform. PS+ is a revolution and means I always have something to play, without really having to pay out anything extra (bar the yearly cost of a single game), so it pays for itself nigh on instantly.

The added bonus is that is works for the Vita too, so I am getting some stonking value from it. As it stands, the XBOX and its next iteration is looking less and less appealing for me. For the first time I am tempted not to renew my XBL subscription.

That being said, I am also finding myself moving towards PC gaming, so I will likely be looking at upgrading the PC and picking up a PS4 later down the line, hopefully with a decent catalogue of games I have grabbed from PS+ (assuming they don't separate the PS+ subscriptions between PS3 & PS4). I am very interested to see how they integrate with the Vita in the next gen too, I am positive they built that machine with their next version of a home console in mind.

I was pointing out that all the cookie cutter games started out their lives as fresh, interesting, ambitious pc games and by their 4th sequel, were turned into bland, generic "cookie cutter" games to appeal to the wider, mainstream console demographic.

The elder scrolls - http://en.wikipedia...._Scrolls:_Arena

Call of duty - http://en.wikipedia....ty_(video_game)

Far Cry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_cry

Battlefield - http://en.wikipedia....attlefield_1942

Crysis - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis

Hitman - http://en.wikipedia....an:_Codename_47

Max Payne - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Payne

I could go on and on and on and I'm sure you're willing me to :D but there's just the examples from e3 mentioned in the article.

That said, RPS said FC3 was better than 2 and even picked it as their game of the year, topping all those indie darlings.

That said, RPS said FC3 was better than 2 and even picked it as their game of the year, topping all those indie darlings.

They actually said Hotline Miami was more recently, which indicates they regretted giving it to FC3.

FC3 benefitted from launching right at the end of the year, and from being still fresh in peoples minds when they made the list.

Yeah, but clippa said far cry 3 was great too but a couple of indie darlings topped it :D

Fair enough. My top 3 was all indie as well. :)

As an aside, some really cool indie games are console or even platform exclusive though.

That said, I'm hardly using my PS3 and 360 since I got a gaming PC. Yet, I will still be there day one for the next consoles, as there are always exclusives I need in my life, whether they're from Nintendo or Platinum or Naughty Dog or Rockstar or Bungie or fuck knows who.

They actually said Hotline Miami was more recently, which indicates they regretted giving it to FC3.

Could be, but in the end FC3 is what they gave it to and they used a lot of words to explain why. Not that I'd mind Hotline Miami, I'd also pick that over FC3.

The end of that RPS article linked to earlier is undiluted passive aggressive PC master race bullshit and I'm massively disappointed that RPS has started to head in that direction.

"More to the point, if I want a simple box for no-brainer gaming, I’ll have a console, thanks. What I like about the PC isn’t that it’s simple-to-specify toy. It’s that it’s infinitely configurable. It’s a machine for grown ups."

Fuck me. Just woeful, over compensating nonsense.

Having said that, I think all this talk about the PC is relevant. I don't know what the next generation of consoles is going to offer me - I think I'm going to need a console purely because I enjoy Japanese games and the focus there for the foreseable future is still on consoles. But I'm completely paralyzed about what each machine is going to offer me in that direction at the moment.

If someone didn't care about Japanese development then it's a much harder choice between PC and console than in previous generations. Consoles have become more complicated and hassle to use with each generation. The PC has become easier to use and slicker although there's still the occasional cluster fuck of a release like Max Payne 3 (I don't care if it worked fine on your setup, it didn't on mine and many other peoples) - the convenience and experience offered by both formats for AAA blockbuster type games is starting to meet in the middle.

Wow.

This thread is about the Next Gen Consoles and what is most important to you. This is not a thread about PCs in any way. That's why people are getting annoyed, I would imagine.

PC gaming is very much is relevant in next gen gaming (thread). By the looks of this short thread many people are considering it for an alternative option to the consoles. I mean why wouldn't they, it's great as it is but also the talk of Steam Box's and small form console like units are only going to make people more interested I reckon.

Muk and PC gaming has some kind of weird agenda and I find it incredibly funny, but also frustrating at times.

Yeah seriously, I'm baffled when someone says they want consoles for Japanese development, which is all focused on indies/handhelds/mobile now.

It seems like all Japanese developers make nowadays for AAA development is:

1) Fighting games

2) Shooters (Resi 6, Binary Domain, MGS)

3) Character action games (Revengeance, Bayonetta 2, FFXIII III [bizarrely!], Heroes are Dead)

4) Monster Hunter clones (Xenowhatthenewoneis, Dragons Dogma)

And maybe a few B-deved SPRGs, although I really wouldn't call those AAA, they could easily go download.

It's a long way from the glory days of the PS2 and all the bonkers shit they'd come out with. Half of that is western pandering, and the other half is basically struggling to break a profit even now.

That interesting crazy stuff still exists in stuff like Ghost Trick, you just won't be seeing it at retail.