'Surround Sound' headphones - Any Cop?

Droo

Had them set up slightly wrong, louder now. I had game audio on the ps4 set to headphone only, which is wrong. Had a few times where ive heard footsteps and got the drop on some people which is fun, and noticed a lot of ambient sound i hadnt before. Build quality is pretty good, not rock solid but they seem nice. Box is super fancy. No instructions in it which is a bit cheap. Need to figure out what all the settings do, and flash it because ive got a hiss in my ear from it, a known bug apparantly.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for some wireless headphones (or a wireless headset) for my PS4. My budget is around £200 - happy to stretch to £250 if they're worth it.

Sound quality and surround sound are very important to me. Followed closely by comfort and build quality. I will be mostly playing games (such as COD and Battlefield), but also watching films. I want to be able to hear where other players are walking near me, and I want explosions and gun fire to sound amazing.

Chat isn't important to me. I've never used it and can't see myself ever wanting to use it. So therefore there is no need for a microphone!

Any recommendations? A lot of suggestions already in this thread. The Sony headphones look very good in the first post.

I got the Astro A40's and while I've used them mainly on PC so far they're fantastic, I was a bit worried about spending £200 on some headphones but its been worth it. They're not wireless but the A50's are, and I think they're pretty much the same? They cost £250 though which for the sake of wireless I didn't think was worth it.

You're absolutely not wrong. If you want a detachable microphone, just pay reasonable money for some good quality headphones and get one of those clip-on mic's that are sold. I've seen some adverts and threads about those mic's and they seem to be pretty good.

As for headphones, there's a thread in ATF I think, so may be worth looking there.

For starters, I can highly recommend Sennheiser HD25 closed-back headphones. I've had a pair for over 10 years and have since spent hundreds of Pounds on headphones from other manufacturers, but nothing comes close to the audio and build quality. They're bomb proof and sound fantastic.

If you want something cheaper and open-back, I can recommend the Grado SR-80, or if you want to spend more, the Grado SR-125.

Personally I prefer the Sennheisers for general use and dance-y stuff, and the Grados for home listening and acoustic/rock-y stuff.

Nope don't shut up. After hours and hours of reading last night after posting the above I've changed my requirements!

Wireless is not vital anymore in my search. Better sound quality through wires, and it opens up my options a lot more. I'll be sitting in one spot while gaming - so no need for wireless really!

Also surround sound is not a key factor anymore either. The better option appears to be getting a Astro Mixamp or Turtle Beach DSS2, and having the virtual Dolby surround sound done that way.

So headphone recommendations are welcome! I'll have a look at the HD25s now :)

Nope don't shut up. After hours and hours of reading last night after posting the above I've changed my requirements!

Wireless is not vital anymore in my search. Better sound quality through wires, and it opens up my options a lot more. I'll be sitting in one spot while gaming - so no need for wireless really!

Also surround sound is not a key factor anymore either. The better option appears to be getting a Astro Mixamp or Turtle Beach DSS2, and having the virtual Dolby surround sound done that way.

So headphone recommendations are welcome! I'll have a look at the HD25s now :)

If you don't want to spend too much money i can highly recommend 2 setups that won't break the bank.

The Turtlebeach x11 combined with the dss or the Turtlebeach x12 combined with the dss2 (don't ask me why but the different dss models work better with different headsets)

I'm well aware that many people say Turtle Beach headsets are crap but my experience is that for the price they are very exceptable.

I'm not saying these headphones are super high quality, they have white noise, the x12's more than the x11's but i haven't heard a gaming headset yet that doesn't.

They also both work on the PS4 if you buy the chat cable.

I would also state that surround sound makes a world of difference, the dss allows you to switch between stereo and surround so it's easy to compare.

I've just seen the Astro Gaming A40s for £170. Im thinking they are worth a punt - especially as the Astro MixAmp Pro which comes with them retails for £110 on its own!

If they do the job, then I've saved myself money on a pair of headphones. The microphone is detachable too!

I've just seen the Astro Gaming A40s for £170. Im thinking they are worth a punt - especially as the Astro MixAmp Pro which comes with them retails for £110 on its own!

If they do the job, then I've saved myself money on a pair of headphones. The microphone is detachable too!

Thats a good price, as said, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Possibly gonna buy the new Sony Gold headset for the PS4 but reviews are patchy. I want surround sound, wireless, I'm not fussed about the mic (probably wants to be removable actually) and around the Sony Gold price of £80. What are my options? The Sony ones sound ideal from a connectivity perspective (USB, plug and play) but what else is there? I've got a three way optical splitter with all three outs accounted for, how else do headphones connect to consoles these days? I just want to use them as and when with no dicking about.

interested to hear about your Gold headset experience. I don't mind about the mic, and in general the reviews seem positive

Well, the iffy reviews were mentioned in the PS4 thread so I'm going on that as much as anything. Maybe I'll just buy them, importing seems the only option right now though.

Can anyone please recommend me a decent 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable (which is 3 or more metres) please? This will be used with my Astro A40 headset and MixAmp. Unfortunately the 1.5 metre cable which comes included, is not long enough for me to leave my MixAmp on the TV stand while I play.

I have tried to research it, but am getting confused with all the different terminology (e.g. 4 poles, TSSR etc.)! The cable that comes included is a 1.5m version of this - http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/2.0m-a40-inline-mute-cable/3ACBL-HBH9X-807.html#start=4 - which has 4 poles one end and 3 poles the other. Is the third and fourth pole used for the microphone capability and mute control?

I am only using the headset for audio - so do I only need two pole? I don't want any interference, so I think I need a shielded one?

Budget for the cable is £25 - preferably cheaper.