PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Can someone explain how HDR works on the PS4 (the basic one)? My TV detected HDR the first time I played a game that supported it, and I've just left it on since then, and even non-HDR games look fine. Is that how it should go?

I am so behind on all this technology.

The TV will only switch to its HDR display mode from a game that puts out HDR information. So When playing a HDR game the TV will go into HDR mode. Any game that supports and is set to output HDR information (in the games options menu etc) will display that way, and any that don't support HDR will not send that info to the TV and display as normal. Your TV should default to it's non HDR settings if no HDR signal is detected from a source. Basically if the game supports it and you have it set in the games menu you are good to go and the TV will pick and choose its display mode with each games display/output information. 

That depends on the TV though. My Samsung 49KS9000 requires you to manually change backwards and forwards between HDR settings. 

So when playing HDR games I've got to go into the TV menu and set the backlight to 20 and Smart LED to On. When I finish playing an HDR game I've got to reset the backlight to 5 and Smart LED back to Off.

Yes but it still switches to HDR when it gets HDR information from a source, no?. Having to set your TV to show HDR in its best light wasn't really what I was saying, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying the said Samsung doesn't recognise it's receiving a HDR signal and you have to chose HDR manually by changing picture settings, wouldn't be to impressed if you had to do that each time. When you play a HDR source does the TV not go into HDR mode automatically and then you fiddle with settings for your TV to show the HDR at its best?    

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Where do I see on the website when my PS+ expires? I could swear I saw it a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to find it now.

In a massively counter intuitative fashion the only way is to go into account settings from the shop and into the media tab and it's the date of expiry of your PS+ games

getting PS4 Pro in 3 weeks time. So what the best option to do. I got 2TB Hard drive in Ps4 and it is not big enough for me.  Should I buy 4TB hard drive and put it in PS4 Pro then transfer all the files from PS4 to Pro then Swap Hard Drive to 1TB on PS4 and use it and XBOX One for trade in towards XBOX One X. Then use 2TB Hard drive for something else. 

On 8/11/2017 at 11:06, futureshock said:

I've just plugged in my PS4 for the first time in six months and it's taking so long to update I'm on the verge of throwing the machine in the bin. But before I do, anybody got a easy fix for why the download speeds are stuck in 1995?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Grab the latest (4.73) on a PC, stick it on a USB drive and update that way.

10 minutes ago, futureshock said:

That's handy to know, thanks.

Although, it doesn't fix the problem of buying a new game and coming face to face with a 5gb day one patch. 

Absolutely, that drives me nuts. I suppose I should tape over the orange LED and leave it in standby.

That said, pausing the download and restarting has often spurred crappy game update downloads to life.

3 hours ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

getting PS4 Pro in 3 weeks time. So what the best option to do. I got 2TB Hard drive in Ps4 and it is not big enough for me.  Should I buy 4TB hard drive and put it in PS4 Pro then transfer all the files from PS4 to Pro then Swap Hard Drive to 1TB on PS4 and use it and XBOX One for trade in towards XBOX One X. Then use 2TB Hard drive for something else. 

What exactly is taking up all that space? Presumably lots of digital games? I've always just had the current games I'm playing (or might want to play at a whim) on my system and anything else I just delete the main game (keeping saves obviously). It's not like download speeds are that slow these days anyway.

42 minutes ago, futureshock said:

That's handy to know, thanks.

Although, it doesn't fix the problem of buying a new game and coming face to face with a 5gb day one patch. 

My PS4 has always been pretty fast to download, sure it's not a network thing?

1 hour ago, Minion said:

I actually got some success tonight. This time changing router settings (BT's Smart Setup is a common problem, apparently), including changing the PS4 to a static IP and manually forwarding ports like it was Christmas '07. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

y54dOBE.jpg

I've now renewed 3 times this year!

back in February when it normally expires (using my free Argos points), at E3 when it was on offer for £30. And again now with the 15 month thing.

so it's now expiring half way through 2020. Hopefully I'll still be alive by then.

14 hours ago, Minion said:

99% of the time slow D/L speeds are due to the users setup.

As long as people use a decent ISP, a good router (not one from an ISP), use a wired connection and setup the correct port forwarding/DNS settings you should be able to maximise you're available bandwidth. I have no problem getting 75mb D/L all the time at home, and 100mb+ D/Ls from the office.

2 hours ago, Rushy said:

99% of the time slow D/L speeds are due to the users setup.

As long as people use a decent ISP, a good router (not one from an ISP), use a wired connection and setup the correct port forwarding/DNS settings you should be able to maximise you're available bandwidth. I have no problem getting 75mb D/L all the time at home, and 100mb+ D/Ls from the office.

I just wired mine up and it usually works, but I'm not sure why pausing and resuming a download would suddenly spring it into life. I can speed test 70meg on my Pi, but have never got anywhere near that on the PS4. Is it best to manually open ports, rather than rely on (I assume) automation via UPNP? I assume that also relies on only having a single PS4 (or Xbox).