rllmuk
mushashi

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

14 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

No problems for me this morning

It was Sony being their usual twat selves. I had to go and manually sign in to PSN so that it could offer me to accept their updates T&Cs.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

Anyone else having trouble with PSN this morning?

Don’t know about this morning, but I couldn’t sign into the browser page yesterday. Told the the main page doesn’t exist. 

6 hours ago, Thor said:

What HDR compatibility problems?

The Pro has compatibility problems with several brands of 4K TV that can cause snow and blacked out screens. Something to do with the hdmi ports. There are several fixes out there, one of which is turning off HDR.

16 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

The Pro has compatibility problems with several brands of 4K TV that can cause snow and blacked out screens. Something to do with the hdmi ports. There are several fixes out there, one of which is turning off HDR.

Yeah, on our Samsung, I had to change some setting on the TV from Dynamic to something else I think. That stopped the blackouts happening. They would happen once a session, but usually at a vital part of the game I was playing, like it knew how to piss me off. :lol: 

• Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Yeah, on our Samsung, I had to change some setting on the TV from Dynamic to something else I think. That stopped the blackouts happening. They would happen once a session, but usually at a vital part of the game I was playing, like it knew how to piss me off. :lol: 

My LG has had the snow and the blackouts and even some psychedelic effects, requiring the console to be reset. There are some settings you can change in the Pro’s Safe Mode that can sometimes sort out the problem. Not tried it yet but need to give it a go.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/06/25/ps4-pro-troubleshooting-how-to-display-4k-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/

Oh, I had no idea they were a PS4 issue, especially the blackouts. Isn't that just a general PS4 problem and not a HDR specific problem? 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

My LG has had the snow and the blackouts and even some psychedelic effects, requiring the console to be reset. There are some settings you can change in the Pro’s Safe Mode that can sometimes sort out the problem. Not tried it yet but need to give it a go.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/06/25/ps4-pro-troubleshooting-how-to-display-4k-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/

Rigjt, just tried the change settings fix and you can’t watch Netflix with HDCP disabled. So back to the drawing board. :angry:

You want to know how I stopped the blackouts on my ps4pro?

Spoiler

Cable straight into the hdmi port on the telly, ditching the cheap arse hdmi switchers I was using.

6D42CD27-C155-4C09-82D4-81462E13960C.thumb.jpeg.b5542c7957e86c9e1c43c6a95bc73acb.jpeg

ymmv

• Upvote 1

Is it worth getting a pro if I don't have a 4k tv and unlikely due to space reasons have one in the future as only 32" will fit where I watch(hell only have 720p!)?  Main reason I'm asking is that is where all the offers are on atm.

Absolutely don't bother. I returned mine and kept my slim. The pro was a buzzing noisy beast and that’s brand new. The buzzing difference from game to game but it was properly annoying. Back to the slim and the games still look amazing and that’s on a 40” 4K set!

• Upvote 2

The temptation will be storng to get a PS5 at launch but I think I'lll wait on reports of how quiet it is this time round before going for one.

9 hours ago, rafaqat said:

The temptation will be storng to get a PS5 at launch but I think I'lll wait on reports of how quiet it is this time round before going for one.

lol Raf you are just like me wait until the pre-orders are announced I bet like me you will get on release. We are weak :lol:

• Upvote 1

I stayed away from the PS4 until 2017 but if the 5 is back compatible I’ll be on the pre order train. I’d had every console on release from the SNES until then but could not justify the 4 at the time. If I can carry on playing my current stuff I won’t be able to resist. Especially if my boys can have the PS4 and have access to my stuff

Anyone got any advice on stopping the PS4 (white, not Pro) from sounding like a Jet Engine?  I've hoovered the vents, and the console has space around it to breathe.

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Anyone got any advice on stopping the PS4 (white, not Pro) from sounding like a Jet Engine?  I've hoovered the vents, and the console has space around it to breathe.

someone said a while ago that putting it on some feet to give a bit of clearance underneath helps.   The other thing you can do is open it up and re-apply thermal paste. I’ve not tried that. I’ve just decided I’ll have to live with the sound and pretend I own a private jet.  I Might try re-applying thermal paste once the ps5 comes out and they become less vital

to my gaming.  :) 

• Upvote 1

Probably more important than the thermal paste is replacing the thermal pads for the memory chips - the stock pads are undersized and replacing them along with the paste seems to yield the best results.

I’m so fucked off with my PS4 getting screen blackouts and shite I’m considering trading it in for a One X. Happens on everything now whether HDR is on or off. Given up even using it for You Tube, Netflix and Prime.

On 29/12/2019 at 20:07, dumpster said:

19A338F7-20AE-4198-88F2-8E710AE630FE.jpeg.d5709dc81185506999fce635aec2513d.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

13 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I’m so fucked off with my PS4 getting screen blackouts and shite I’m considering trading it in for a One X. Happens on everything now whether HDR is on or off. Given up even using it for You Tube, Netflix and Prime.

Started using the official hdmi cable again and no problems so far. Really annoying as the other cables are hidden in the chimney breast and are all hdmi 2.0, so should work no problem, and do with all other consoles and what-nots.

Unfortunately, saying a cable meets the HDMI 2.0 standard and it doing so are very different things :(

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Unfortunately, saying a cable meets the HDMI 2.0 standard and it doing so are very different things :(

So annoying! Can anyone recommend a high end 2m hdmi cable that definitely works with the Pro? Or do Sony do them?

5 hours ago, womblingfree said:

So annoying! Can anyone recommend a high end 2m hdmi cable that definitely works with the Pro? Or do Sony do them?

Make sure it’s a premium certified cable, don’t need to spend much to get them but means they are tested properly unlike hdmi 2.0 spec cables...