PlayStation 4 Console Thread

Just started a 7 day free trial on PS Now but cannot start any PS3 games. PS4 and PS2 games seem to be able to stream just fine, but not a single PS3 game seems to start. Anyone had similar issues?

*edit - just tried the PC app, it won't even let me log in. Just returns me to the main login menu after I have entered my ID and password. Great service....

3 hours ago, koefoed said:

Just started a 7 day free trial on PS Now but cannot start any PS3 games. PS4 and PS2 games seem to be able to stream just fine, but not a single PS3 game seems to start. Anyone had similar issues?

*edit - just tried the PC app, it won't even let me log in. Just returns me to the main login menu after I have entered my ID and password. Great service....

I wonder if Sony have generally borked their authentication recently as I’ve been having issues on iPad via browser and App where it says version of browser no longer supported. Clear cookies and cache, it works for a bit and then borks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaaargh.  Another controller battery dies.  Ok. Got a PS4 controller that massively overheats when we try to charge it and tends to not hold charge very long. Assuming it’s the battery.   Checking on amazon it’s £20 for a replacement battery. Or £40-£45 for a new controller. 

are there any third party controllers that use a easily replaceable battery that are decent?  

ffs.  Items with built in non replaceable batteries can do one.  

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Are you charging it using the cable that came with the console? A friend of mine was using his Samsung charger or something and it just killed it.

charge it using the awesome official Sony Charge stand.  I do love that stand. 

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

charge it using the awesome official Sony Charge stand.  I do love that stand. 

Ah shoot, oh well thought I’d mention it. 

I never got the stand and I’d dread to add up how much of my life I’ve wasted trying to get the fucking cable in the controller, it’s always the pissing wrong way round!

For a few weeks now I can't log into my YouTube account on the PS4. This means not only can I not (easily) watch my subscription channels or playlists but it also won't allow me to upload videos captures from games.

The weird thing is that the entertainment dashboard on the PS4 is still getting recommendations from YouTube and this is showing recent content. So there's still a connection. 

Google are aware but so far no solution. I'm just not sure if all users are having this or just a few. I've done the usual of removing the YouTube app and reinstalling but to now avail. 

9 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Ah shoot, oh well thought I’d mention it. 

I never got the stand and I’d dread to add up how much of my life I’ve wasted trying to get the fucking cable in the controller, it’s always the pissing wrong way round!

It's possibly the nicest most solid bit of PlayStation kit that I've bought.  I'm assuming the PS5 controllers will have an internal battery too (boooo) so will likely get the next gen charger too if it's anything as nice as the PS4 ones.  

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

It's possibly the nicest most solid bit of PlayStation kit that I've bought.  I'm assuming the PS5 controllers will have an internal battery too (boooo) so will likely get the next gen charger too if it's anything as nice as the PS4 ones.  

PS5 uses USB-C though so at least it'll be easier to plug in to start with.

On 06/06/2020 at 10:34, rafaqat said:

Aaaaargh.  Another controller battery dies.  Ok. Got a PS4 controller that massively overheats when we try to charge it and tends to not hold charge very long. Assuming it’s the battery.   Checking on amazon it’s £20 for a replacement battery. Or £40-£45 for a new controller. 

are there any third party controllers that use a easily replaceable battery that are decent?  

ffs.  Items with built in non replaceable batteries can do one.  

That sounds to me like you're using a fast charging phone adaptor and plugging it into the wall. Would that be right? These will kill PS4 controller batteries. I was lucky and heard about this before I got a PS4, so I use a much older phone charger for my controllers.

That doesn’t add up given how batteries and chargers work. A modern battery draws the current it needs from a charger, a charger doesn’t push current in to the battery, so it’ll never provide more than the battery will take.

Batteries that die early are usually just bad batteries. If the controller died in less than two years get the seller or Sony to replace it under the warranty.

I know what you're saying but it's something I've seen all over the place. Lots of YT videos, forum discussions etc. basically saying you will burn out the battery in your DS4 if you use a newer fast charging phone adaptor.

/shrugs

All I can say is I don't use one and have an old phone charger for the job, and both mine have been fine. Granted they are only six months old but still.

Unless possibly @rafaqat is getting stung by fake PS4 controllers perhaps. They are very well done these days I hear.

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Google are aware but so far no solution. I'm just not sure if all users are having this or just a few. I've done the usual of removing the YouTube app and reinstalling but to now avail. 

I've had the same problem. Google aren't very quick to fix their console apps.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

I wonder if the new Xbox pads will, the Elite v2 does.

The Xbox pads are retaining AA batteries; MS say it's because they have a vocal number of customers who prefer removable AAs. I know you can use rechargeables, but I suspect a majority of people don't; I dread to think how much waste they generate and even worse, how much of that goes into landfill because people can't be bothered to recycle them properly.

2 hours ago, Lumpy said:

That sounds to me like you're using a fast charging phone adaptor and plugging it into the wall. Would that be right? These will kill PS4 controller batteries. I was lucky and heard about this before I got a PS4, so I use a much older phone charger for my controllers.

1 hour ago, Lumpy said:

I know what you're saying but it's something I've seen all over the place. Lots of YT videos, forum discussions etc. basically saying you will burn out the battery in your DS4 if you use a newer fast charging phone adaptor.

/shrugs

All I can say is I don't use one and have an old phone charger for the job, and both mine have been fine. Granted they are only six months old but still.

Unless possibly @rafaqat is getting stung by fake PS4 controllers perhaps. They are very well done these days I hear.

nah. Official Sony Charger dock and official Sony controllers bought from Amazon.  These are controllers bought at Ps4 launch and shortly after so I'm not too shocked that they're fading but it's just a reminder of why I prefer the "AA battery" approach.  

13 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

nah. Official Sony Charger dock and official Sony controllers bought from Amazon.  These are controllers bought at Ps4 launch and shortly after so I'm not too shocked that they're fading but it's just a reminder of why I prefer the "AA battery" approach.  

Ah I see. Fair enough. TBH I do agree with you and I also prefer the old AA battery approach. It doesn't have many supporters but it always made more long term sense to me. I've had a couple of wireless Logitech F710's for absolutely ages that use regular AA's and they have never let me down.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

The Xbox pads are retaining AA batteries; MS say it's because they have a vocal number of customers who prefer removable AAs. I know you can use rechargeables, but I suspect a majority of people don't; I dread to think how much waste they generate and even worse, how much of that goes into landfill because people can't be bothered to recycle them properly.

Probably less than throwing away perfectly good controllers because the batteries have died in them.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Dunno dude. I'd be amazed if anyone would stick to throwing away batteries after the first year of ownership.   Every xbox owner I know in my extended family and friends uses rechargeable batteries and has done shortly after purchase without prompting.  They're long term cheaper and I think "casuals" are a lot more price sensitive than the likes of you and I.

I'd be interested what your experience of your xbox owning acquaintances is, to lead you to believe the majority are throwing out batteries on the regular. Are they really all doing that?

Do they still do the play and charge thing on the Xbox pads? That’s the best of all worlds for sustainability: an efficient rechargeable battery for most of the time, and when the battery dies of old age you can replace it with either a new pack or - when they stop making those - just some regular generic batteries, and keep the controller going until more important parts break.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It's 2020, everyone knows what a rechargeable battery is.

They should. Yet UK Government statistics show that only 45% of batteries placed on the market are being recycled each year, and that figure is skewed by the inclusion of certain types of battery that make up a fraction of the batteries entering the market, but account for a disproportionate amount of the recycled weight.

https://www.complydirect.com/news/uk-successfully-achieves-2018-battery-recycling-target/

It's estimated that 35,000 tonnes of batteries are disposed of in household waste every year across Europe.

https://goodelectronics.org/battery-disaster-solutions-needed-to-prevent-more-than-half-of-batteries-going-to-landfill/

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Dunno dude. I'd be amazed if anyone would stick to throwing away batteries after the first year of ownership.   Every xbox owner I know in my extended family and friends uses rechargeable batteries and has done shortly after purchase without prompting.  They're long term cheaper and I think "casuals" are a lot more price sensitive than the likes of you and I.

I'd be interested what your experience of your xbox owning acquaintances is, to lead you to believe the majority are throwing out batteries on the regular. Are they really all doing that?

I haven't asked friends what they do - as it happens most are on PS4 this gen. The prevalence of cheap alkaline batteries in pound shops suggests they're still popular with the general public, and tens of thousands of tonnes per year are poisoning landfill. Add to that every Xbox console and separately sold controller comes with a pair of Duracell batteries and that's potentially millions of batteries going into the ground over the generation, even if the owners immediately switch to recyclables..

A shocking amount of recyclable stuff enters landfill because people can't be bothered to recycle, and it requires some effort on the part of the consumer to take certain things (like batteries) to a specific place to be collected. I know of someone who disposes of lightbulbs and batteries in public rubbish bins around the town because she knows she's not supposed to put them in her household waste, but won't take them to a collection point, presumably because it's inconvenient. I don't think she plays video games, but it's that mindset that needs to be funneled into doing the right thing.

Just now, Alex W. said:

Do they still do the play and charge thing on the Xbox pads? That’s the best of all worlds for sustainability: an efficient rechargeable battery for most of the time, and when the battery dies of old age you can replace it with either a new pack or - when they stop making those - just some regular generic batteries, and keep the controller going until more important parts break.

I was surprised that this wasn't the solution being adopted when I read the interview with the chap from Xbox. Seems like a great balance between user-serviceability and sustainability.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

I was surprised that this wasn't the solution being adopted when I read the interview with the chap from Xbox. Seems like a great balance between user-serviceability and sustainability.

My 8bitdo pad came with something like this right in the bay from day one. If I want to I can stick AAs in there but it’s a rechargeable pad in every other way.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

Isn’t the problem that Microsoft basically burned themselves by using rechargeable battery packs that barely seemed to last a year or 2? I think I went through 5 or 6 or maybe more play and charge battery packs in the lifetime of the 360 and I don’t like to spend money when I don’t have to.

I’m afraid to say when I bought my XBone I also bought a box of 100 Maplin alkaline AA, though I guess the saving grace is I still haven’t got through them, so haven’t bought any more.  With the abundance of USB Micro cables from old mobiles in my house, and proximity to a mobile charger, tend to just plug the controller in if the batteries are going dead...

24 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Isn’t the problem that Microsoft basically burned themselves by using rechargeable battery packs that barely seemed to last a year or 2? I think I went through 5 or 6 or maybe more play and charge battery packs in the lifetime of the 360 and I don’t like to spend money when I don’t have to.

How long should rechargeables last in terms of hours? I’ve had a few play and charge kits, but then I’ve got loads of pads all over the place having 2 kids, so I don’t really keep up on how many I’ve been through.

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

How long should rechargeables last in terms of hours? I’ve had a few play and charge kits, but then I’ve got loads of pads all over the place having 2 kids, so I don’t really keep up on how many I’ve been through.

Talking specifically about the 360 play and charge kits, when they hit 30-45 minutes play, I deemed them needing replaced. I ended up with a charge cable that matched my original white pad, another that matched my black elite pad and one of the official twin chargers which came with 2 batteries, plus 2 solo batteries on the lifetime of the console. I owned from launch and has a play and charge from launch due to thinking it was better than using AA rechargeables.

I’ve actually just looked out some old rechargeable AA batteries my wife had for an old camera and stuck them on charge due to this thread. If they work, I can lay the alkaline to rest..