PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

I think that opening shot of The Division really highlights exactly what you're talking about. The level of detail, envoronmental effects and just general fidelity of it all is astounding. And, actually, thinking about watching TV on 720 and 1080 and you're absolutely right - there is a jump.

I don't think it'll be like when I bought a HD TV and connected up the 360 for the first time - that was astounding - but even the video of Killzone demonstrates how much better it will look. There is a jump there, for sure.

So I err.. pre-ordered one. £366 ($550 ish) including a year of PS Plus and Battlefield 4 as a package - the standalone systems aren't launch-day guaranteed. Includes postage and tax too - what games are people thinking? The Division and The Order, Battlefield 4 and.. maybe FIFA? I'll probably get FIFA 14 on PS3 so possibly not on PS4.

Secondly, this generation adds programmable GPU to consoles for the first time. So far, use of PhysX and the like on the PC hasn't been all that profound or all that widespread; but with the two major console platforms supporting the technology as well that will change.

Personally I'm still waiting for some cool gameplay ideas that stem from that. Planetside 2 has hardware physics support for its particle effects, and it does look amazing on my PC, but it has no practical effect on the gameplay because the game has the option to turn them off.

I want to see a game where I play as an esper or something like that, and use telekinetic powers to rip open buildings and smash through walls - not just in the static way games do today, but in a dynamic way. Additionally, other things - like if you shoot down a helicopter, actually having to get out of the way of the wreckage, which is of an amount consistent with the size of the helicopter (not like most games today, where you get an explosion of ephemeral smoke and flame, and maybe a few bits drop which don't do any damage). I want to be able to see enemies in a sniper tower, then get out a rocket launcher and aim for the base, blowing up all the right-hand side and seeing the building teeter and gradually collapse.

The Battlefield games on current gen did a bit of this - but it was still very static. I want it to be procedural and dynamic.

So I err.. pre-ordered one. £366 ($550 ish) including a year of PS Plus and Battlefield 4 as a package - the standalone systems aren't launch-day guaranteed. Includes postage and tax too - what games are people thinking? The Division and The Order, Battlefield 4 and.. maybe FIFA? I'll probably get FIFA 14 on PS3 so possibly not on PS4.

Driveclub, Watch Dogs on day 1 I suspect.

The games will come ladies & gentlemen, look at Sony's catalogue of games for the PS1 & the PS2. Games are still being made for the PS3 with no sign of that stopping just yet and with regards to the launch titles available for the PS4 there is kind of something for everyone in my opinion.

The only reason to be upset is if this has happened .... :P

post-7403-0-07934000-1376383938.jpg

Particle physics are the biggest obvious draw I've seen so far. I want to see a mechanic where you have to blow away fog to increase vision. Preferably using a flame with lots of wee ember-y bits going everywhere.

Material physics will also make for good fun (smooshing clay, breaking wood, shattering stone etc)

From the "tales from my ass" thread on Neogaf.

Rumor: Our internal product release schedule from head office dropped yesterday and on Oct 21st an unnamed Sony console will be launched. Fyi all console revisions like the ps360 slims and Wii Mini were listed as ps360 & wii mini. Previously the wiiu, 3ds and vita were also only listed as Nintendo/Sony Console in the product name column.

Disclaimer: I just work at a very large retailer, managing the electronics sales force and nothing more. I have nothing to do with purchasing, nation wide merchandising or shipping. I am not trying to play this off as I have connections at Sony, or I am some sort of insider. It's that just yesterday we received a product release schedule from our head office and I thought this is OT itt. These schedules btw, are for internal use only, designed to allow us time to create our instore merch plans. If the launch date for a product is unknown, it's simply marked TBA. The only time a date is ever included is when we have received confirmation of said date from the product company.

These schedules btw, are for internal use only, designed to allow us time to create our instore merch plans. If the launch date for a product is unknown, it's simply marked TBA.

so, they need to have their "instore merch plans" ready by Oct 21st is what I get from that.

I think buying any console on launch day is always, at least in part, a leap of faith that you can't entirely justify rationally. If it was just about the games you'd wait until there were some! The fact is, anyone pre-ordering a console today is doing so sight-unseen of any games at all. We've got nothing to go on beyond some pretty thin previews based on brief hands-on write ups.

Battlefield 4 says no

so, they need to have their "instore merch plans" ready by Oct 21st is what I get from that.

You're reading it wrong then? It says the console is coming out on Oct 21st. If the launch date for a product is unknown, it's simply marked TBA. The only time a date is ever included is when we have received confirmation of said date from the product company.

Probably asked a billion times already but does the controller use separate batteries or is it like the PS3 controller and only good for the bin once it has been all used up?

It's an in-built battery, though on Dual Stock 3s/ Sixases you can remove it by dismantling the pad and there are after-market spares available. It'll depend on how the Dual Shock 4 is set up but I expect it'll be the same.

It's the same as the current one. It can take a pair of AAs (I highly recommend this approach) or a semi-proprietary rechargeable battery pack.

Edit -- d'oh, that's the Xbone pad. (I forgot what thread I was in.)

Have people really had PS3 controllers that have completely run out of batteries?

Battery life on all LiIons degrades over time, it's shit now on my 2007-era Sixaxis.

And are there really people out there who voluntarily use AA batteries?!

Absolutely. For the price of a single 360 power pack, I can buy half a dozen good quality rechargeable AAs, and keep one pair on charge while a second pair are in the pad. Then I swap when they go flat. I never have to plug the controller in. Cheaper and more convenient, what's not to like?

I don't know of anyone who have had to dispose their PS3 pads due to the battery no longer holding charge. Maybe if you used it loads.

and let's face it, no one did! BA-BOOM!

Seriously though, my original sixaxis still holds a charge for as long as I need it to but I was just wondering because a lot of people are switching to the Playstation as the main or only console and it might be an issue. I was hoping for AAs because eneloop for life.

I don't think having to buy and swap AA batteries is convenient.

My pad must be a good few years old but still holds plenty of charge. And if it's low I just plug it into the PS3 and carry on playing whilst it charges?

Some people!!!

Do you have a camera that uses AA because you fear battery degradation?

and let's face it, no one did! BA-BOOM!

Seriously though, my original sixaxis still holds a charge for as long as I need it to but I was just wondering because a lot of people are switching to the Playstation as the main or only console and it might be an issue. I was hoping for AAs because eneloop for life.

Are eneloops really good? Been thinking of getting some as my energizer ones from a few years ago die in about 10 minutes now

Battery life on all LiIons degrades over time, it's shit now on my 2007-era Sixaxis.

Absolutely. For the price of a single 360 power pack, I can buy half a dozen good quality rechargeable AAs, and keep one pair on charge while a second pair are in the pad. Then I swap when they go flat. I never have to plug the controller in. Cheaper and more convenient, what's not to like?

Also, changing the batteries in the heat of battle feels like reloading a double-barelled shotgun.

Are eneloops really good? Been thinking of getting some as my energizer ones from a few years ago die in about 10 minutes now

They're excellent, had mine a year now and no noticeable drop in performance, would recommend them.

I do like the convenience of always having a spare set of batteries for the 360 pad. Wouldn't be a problem though if the PS3 pad could just plug into any USB wall charger, would be a welcome change for the DS4.

They're excellent, had mine a year now and no noticeable drop in performance, would recommend them.

I do like the convenience of always having a spare set of batteries for the 360 pad. Wouldn't be a problem though if the PS3 pad could just plug into any USB wall charger, would be a welcome change for the DS4.

Doesn't it do that already?