PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

If nothing else Killzone will look fantastic. And despite accused of being a bit drab, the series definitely has its own thing with its weighty duck and cover gunplay. The AI works very well and is a close second to Halo.

I have high hopes for it.

Yeah, and Geometry Wars is just Robotron and Rez is just Space Harrier.

What an incredibly weird thing to say.

I don't recall either of those being labelled as the best game on the system at launch, though.

Seriously, I'm genuinely curious as to why it's being bigged up so much. I admit, it looks really pretty, but it just looks like a Defender style shooter, a decent game, but not a game to shell out £350 on.

I’m probably not going to be able to pick up a PS4 until after Christmas. I’m guessing the Playstation Plus free games will come and go for the PS4 as they do now for the PS3 each month. Will you be able to ‘buy’ the games for the months without the console so you can then download them for free next year, after they have been removed from the promotion?

I don't recall either of those being labelled as the best game on the system at launch, though.

Seriously, I'm genuinely curious as to why it's being bigged up so much. I admit, it looks really pretty, but it just looks like a Defender style shooter, a decent game, but not a game to shell out £350 on.

I honestly can't see the appeal either, looks very linear. Type of game i'd spend 5 mins playing then never again, each to their own I suppose. It does look pretty though.

I’m probably not going to be able to pick up a PS4 until after Christmas. I’m guessing the Playstation Plus free games will come and go for the PS4 as they do now for the PS3 each month. Will you be able to ‘buy’ the games for the months without the console so you can then download them for free next year, after they have been removed from the promotion?

Yeah you can add them to your basket so that they're yours on the PSN website. Then, once you buy a PS4, download EVERYTHING and play :D

You're just confusing me now. I'm not sure your first point makes any difference. As for your second point, I'm not spending £350 on Resogun, I'm spending £350 on a machine that plays Resogun.

You're just confusing me now. I'm not sure your first point makes any difference. As for your second point, I'm not spending £350 on Resogun, I'm spending £350 on a machine that plays Resogun.

People didn't buy a 360 (I presume you're talking about Geometry Wars 2) or a Dreamcast to play GW2 or Rez. I'm sure some people have said that Resogun is a system seller for them. I was wondering why? For you, it isn't, and yes, you're buying the machine for other reasons. For others, those who think Resogun is worth the machine's price, I was wondering what they see in it that's worth £350.

Is that clearer?

People didn't buy a 360 (I presume you're talking about Geometry Wars 2) or a Dreamcast to play GW2 or Rez. I'm sure some people have said that Resogun is a system seller for them. I was wondering why? For you, it isn't, and yes, you're buying the machine for other reasons. For others, those who think Resogun is worth the machine's price, I was wondering what they see in it that's worth £350.

Is that clearer?

Much clearer. Thank you. Although I suspect you'll be waiting some time for a reply someone who thinks Resogun is worth the machines price as nobody has actually said that.

I'd convinced myself that I didn't need a console this gen because of my PC but now, quite late to the party, I'm feeling a bit "must have new shiny" (cookie monster voice).

Anyone noticed any reliable retailers still offering day one units?

Shopto are still offering them. However I ordered 2 weeks back and have had no confirmation of allocation yet. They have said in a chat with customer services with me that they know they are getting enough stock to cover though. So either they are really taking a chance on the destruction of their reputation or they genuinely are going to come good.

Is that clearer?

I won't be buying it JUST for Resogun, but it's easily the launch game on either system that I want to play the most. I love twitchy score attack games. The amount of time I sunk in Super Hexagon is ridiculous for example. Resogun looks like a ton of fun - and according to pretty much everyone who played it, it IS a ton of fun - it looks better than any other next-gen game with the possible exception of Killzone and knowing Housemarque it will probably sound great as well. It looks like the type of game I will play for ages, so a healty investment for me.

Just my opinion, but I also felt Geo Wars was the best 360 game at launch by far as well.

It seems EG agrees with me somewhat:

As is Resogun, Housemarque's shooter that came seriously close to being our final choice. Yes, it's just a classic shooter, and yes it's at heart a Defender clone, but neither of those things stop it from being brilliantly playable as well as absolutely full of graphics. Seriously, you won't have ever seen so many, and while Rich at Digital Foundry's got the vocabulary to tell you why it looks so impressive all I can tell you is that it's the best looking next-gen game I've seen so far.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-29-egx-2013-eurogamer-net-editors-choice

People didn't buy a 360 (I presume you're talking about Geometry Wars 2) or a Dreamcast to play GW2 or Rez.

Well, I would have bought a Dreamcast for Rez, if Rez weren't a late release and the fact that I'd bought a Dreamcast at launch on the promise of Soul Calibur ;)

But yeah, I wouldn't buy a console on the promise of a nifty 2D shooter, as that's not a genre I'm particularly into. A great into-the-screen on-rails shooter, though, would be a system seller for me (on which grounds this past generation has been very disappointing). Just depends on the gametypes you love.

Aye, it depends what you're into. Sabreman, for example, holds up Geometry Wars 2 as his game of the generation (or at least, he did for a few years - dunno if he's suddenly changed his mind in the past few months, but it's doubtful). So presumably he'd have bought a 360 even if that was the only title ever released for it.

NB Personally, I don't think Resogun looks a patch of GW2, fancy particle effects notwithstanding. I guess I just like the glow of the old vectors, myself - it's kind of romantic, both futuristic and retro at the same time. And I think GW's format lends itself to more subtlety than the side-scrolling stuff, but that's just a personal thing about the way you manipulate play areas.

Sabreman, for example, holds up Geometry Wars 2 as his game of the generation (or at least, he did for a few years - dunno if he's suddenly changed his mind in the past few months, but it's doubtful).

He voted it the 2nd greatest game of the generation in the end (inexplicably choosing Diablo 3 as his number 1), so yeah, he's still pretty fond of it.

There are definitely games I'd buy a system for though. I knew I wanted a Wii U the second Bayonetta 2 was announced for example.

PS4 for me will be Resogun and KZ at launch, maybe BF for the MP and inFamous in February. Add some of the indies that are on the way and I should be settled for quite some time.

Well, I would have bought a Dreamcast for Rez, if Rez weren't a late release and the fact that I'd bought a Dreamcast at launch on the promise of Soul Calibur ;)

But yeah, I wouldn't buy a console on the promise of a nifty 2D shooter, as that's not a genre I'm particularly into. A great into-the-screen on-rails shooter, though, would be a system seller for me (on which grounds this past generation has been very disappointing). Just depends on the gametypes you love.

isn't one of the consoles getting CRIMSON DRAGON, a panzer dragoon "spiritual successor" type games?

[edit]

what he said.

Edited by SeanR