PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Let's hope there's a refinement of all this before uk launch!

At this point I realized I was switched between game and home screen, game never exited. Started another application and PS4 said it would close COD ghosts.

Then I opened COD again, which this time meant it was loading the game up again, and this time it said it was updating the game install. Clicked on multiplayer and it worked.

A refinement of closing something before updating it?

If they're forcing you to link a credit card with PSN if you want to go online then that is proper shit. I made the decision not to use my card with MS or Sony and don't particularly want to change that.

The problem with a lot if this 'news' is that it is written badly and summarised in haste.

'A PSN Plus account is required for online multiplayer.'

I am guessing, however that does seem to be the issue here. So if your account doesn't have PSN Plus you'll have to buy it, and if you've no money in your PSN wallet you will have to fund it.

Exactly like it is right now.

I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing. We just have to remember that for a few weeks anyone who appears to have some news gets a massive amount of attention, it's just a by-product of the excitement.

The Neogaf detectives seem to think most of the issues are from a particular factory in China and all from a particular month of manufacture, but there's not much to go on. I'm inclined to think that the perceived presence of various problems are massively disproportionate to the reality, because everyone who doesn't have a bricked PS4 or a broken blu-ray drive is happily playing on the thing instead of anxiously trying to find a fix or angrily complaining about it on the internet. Similar logic for pointing the finger at Amazon, such a high proportion of the systems bought in the US will have come from Amazon that it'd be easy to think that had something to do with it (I don't think it does).

Let's roughly double the best-guess of 0.4% to 1% Now double it again to 2% just to be sure.

Now let's look at reported hardware failure rates for some other parts or manufacturers, taken from reports around the web:

Motherboards:

- ASRock 1.90%

- MSI 2.11%

- Gigabyte 2.17%

- ASUS 2.66%

Graphics Cards:

- Sapphire 1.20%

- ASUS 1.55%

- PNY 1.62%

- Zotac 2.18%

- Gigabyte 2.18%

- MSI 2.25%

- Gainward 2.43%

HDDs:

- Samsung 1.23%

- Western 1.63%

- Seagate 1.89%

- Hitachi 3.95%

SSDs:

- Crucial 0.82%

- Intel 1.73%

- Corsair 2.93%

- OCZ 7.03%

Desktop PCs:

- iMac 7%

- HP 10%

- Dell 11%

Laptops:

- Macbook 8%

- Dell 12%

Consoles:

- Xbox 360 (anything between 25% and 60%, commonly reported at around 55%)

Microsoft even made a song and dance about how they would make sure the next Xbox had a failure rate of "under 20%".

In short, everyone should chill out. A small percentage of broken units at launch (even if it's a high number due to high volume of day one sales) isn't out of the ordinary. What you should be more worried about is unforeseen or progressive problems that will hamper machines as they get older. The real, actual failure rate of machines in the wild won't be known for a good while yet. Same goes for online functionality. Don't get too caught up in day one outages, I'm frankly amazed PSN stayed up for most of the launch weekend, slow or otherwise. All of the above applies to the Xbox One too of course. With the PS4 brickgate hysteria, you can bet the diehard Sonyponies will latch onto the first batch of busted Xbones or Xbox live outage with venom.

But, on the plus side, at least everyone has stopped talking about bloody wobblegate :lol:

I get the feeling you have conflated day one failure rates with lifetime failure rates.

Plenty of the PS4s which are working fine right now will go on to fail at some point.

It's making me think I should just wait and but one when they next revise the manufacturing process.

Yeah, those figures are lifetime failures. The only products that I can remember having significant Day 1 issues are 360 and this, but it's hard to say if they're equivalent because we're comparing something as wishy washy as forum posts across a gulf of eight years, and any perceived failure is going to be a much bigger "thing" after RROD.

I don't remember the Wii U having any issues.

1milps4.jpg

That's a fantastic result, they're really off to a flying start and the sheer volume of units sold does put the number of reported failiures into perspective.

Another theory flying around about that, is that a lot of the very cheap no brand HDTVs don't support HDCP, which is a standard the PS4 needs to function. Who knows how many incidents that's actually accounting for?

Yeah, those figures are lifetime failures. The only products that I can remember having significant Day 1 issues are 360 and this, but it's hard to say if they're equivalent because we're comparing something as wishy washy as forum posts across a gulf of eight years, and any perceived failure is going to be a much bigger "thing" after RROD.

I don't remember the Wii U having any issues.

I don't remember the 360 having this many problems day one, they kind of seemed to just keep mounting up over the first few months to a year.

That's a fantastic result, they're really off to a flying start and the sheer volume of units sold does put the number of reported failiures into perspective.Another theory flying around about that, is that a lot of the very cheap no brand HDTVs don't support HDCP, which is a standard the PS4 needs to function. Who knows how many incidents that's actually accounting for?

It doesn't "need" it to function, they've chosen to require it. There's a subtle difference.

They package in an HDMI cable so surely everyone used that if theirs didn't work.

It's the same with every launch of hardware. Always a tiny amount with issues who make the most noise.

The tv would have to support the encryption protocol. There's fuck all reason to require it for games.

I don't remember the 360 having this many problems day one, they kind of seemed to just keep mounting up over the first few months to a year.

There were a lot of complaints Day 1, if you look at the issue of Edge covering the launch, there's a little boxout talking about complaints online about "higher than expected failure rates" that they called back to in a retrospective.

Bear in mind there was something absurdly low like 80,000 360s out there in the first month and they were supply limited for the first 8 months or so because they launching before they even had ramped up production, so if PS4 sold a million the rate could well be significantly lower.

There were a lot of complaints Day 1, if you look at the issue of Edge covering the launch, there's a little boxout talking about complaints online about "higher than expected failure rates" that they called back to in a retrospective.Bear in mind there was something absurdly low like 80,000 360s out there in the first month and they were supply limited for the first 8 months or so because they launching before they even had ramped up production, so if PS4 sold a million the rate could well be significantly lower.

They'd shipped 1.5 million in the first month...

It doesn't "need" it to function, they've chosen to require it. There's a subtle difference.

The tv would have to support the encryption protocol. There's fuck all reason to require it for games.

Err, yes, but the PS4 currently does mandate it for everything, and it would explain the video output issues, which is what people were discussing. (Personally I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference.)

Aren't they patching that out for games? Doing HDCP for all content is the quickest and easiest way of covering all bases when you're racing for launch.

To be fair, though, a DOA rate is not comparable with a lifetime hardware failure rate. I don't know if the PS4 has meaningful problems or not but I'm pretty the figures you quote aren't meaningfully relatable to what we've seen so far for Sony's console.

That's kind of my point (sorry if not clear). We don't know the lifetime in-warranty failure/repair rate of the PS4, and we won't know which specific problems are mostly likely to break the highest amount of consoles over time. But those are the things people should be worried about, not the launch day issues amounting to half a percent of day one consoles.

A few things:

The PS4 is the most preordered console ever, according to Sony execs. The PS4 has sold a million copies in 24 hours.

The Wii U took five months to sell a million units in the US.

The Wii sold 400k units in the first week.

The 360 sold 300k units in the first week.

Just by numbers alone, you're going to get an immediate, loud and probably worrying number of bricked day-one machines. And it really sucks for those people. But Sony are still reporting it as less than 0.4% of launch machines, well within normal tolerances for a hardware launch. Keep an eye on that number between now and the 29th.

Finally, there's a rumour gathering pace that unpaid Foxconn student workers deliberately sabotaged consoles:

http://corruptedcartridge.com/ps4-sabotaged-news/

Based on some (easily-faked) "screenshots from deleted threads" which show the Foxconn student workers admitting to spitting or coughing on PS4 components and roughing them up by throwing them around the factory.

If you are unlucky enough to get a faulty console straight out of the box what's the situation with Sony repairing / replacing them?

The reason I ask is that I'm supposed to be having a mates order from Amazon (Killzone, Camera, +1 Pad) as he's changed his mind. If it was my order then I'd just return it to Amazon but I really don't want him to have to mess around. Can they be returned directly to Sony?

I've got my own pre-order which will apparently arrive before Christmas but the big kid in me wants it on launch. Would you take the risk?

I see the amazon good / bad review is already shifted to a third 1 star from half. 500 1 star vs 1000 5 star. Not total proof that it's all a storm in a teacup but it's exactly what a sensible person who knows that angry people shout the loudest would expect.

Also. The fact they have said 1 million units have been sold through (presumably not just shipped) in NA really adds some more perspective. I would expect that meant Amazon sold at least 100,000 of them meaning 500 negs is really really low.

Also. The fact they have said 1 million units have been sold through (presumably not just shipped) in NA really adds some more perspective. I would expect that meant Amazon sold at least 100,000 of them meaning 500 negs is really really low.

Yosp said sell through, which is consumer sales.

You've got to factor in there's going to be lots of people who return them and don't bother leaving a review though.

Also lots of people leaving reviews without ever having one.

Amazon reviews are the worst. I wouldn't use them as an indication of anything ever. Except maybe how stupid humans are.

Yeah, those figures are lifetime failures.

Just to correct this they're mostly "first year repairs", but my point was that we should worry about down-the-road failures rather than launch units. I wasn't comparing the failure rate in the first 24 hours to the failure rate of other products in the first year and saying "look, it's lower!" :)

If you are unlucky enough to get a faulty console straight out of the box what's the situation with Sony repairing / replacing them?

The reason I ask is that I'm supposed to be having a mates order from Amazon (Killzone, Camera, +1 Pad) as he's changed his mind. If it was my order then I'd just return it to Amazon but I really don't want him to have to mess around. Can they be returned directly to Sony?

I've got my own pre-order which will apparently arrive before Christmas but the big kid in me wants it on launch. Would you take the risk?

You can return it direct to a Sony store for a replacement, stock willing.