IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

Yeah, after a bit of faffing around...

Tesco had none. Asda had none. Morrissons had none. Sainsburys had none.... on the shelf. But one final copy in the storeroom. :)

I'll be on when I can over the weekend. Have to start start re collecting all my gear I suppose...

Just accepted your friends request. Accepted, gonna jump on soonish. Gotta rinse this double XP until next week!

Just added my gamertag to the spreadsheet. Add me up guys. Kerrraig (three R's)

Added.

I love how there are no fucking ads in the UI. For the players indeed.

There's a FIFA demo available, btw. Pretty nice, but I think I'll wait until next year's instalment. Tried Resogun on Veteran difficulty - ha, now this is more like it. I wasn't 'bored' by rookie level (and still haven't completed it) but it certainly wasn't entirely scratching my Geometry Wars itch. The chaos on higher difficulties is fantastic. If only I could always remember to look for the Keepers entering the level as soon as the voice announces them. Now for some ACIV, methinks.

I'm really loving this. I'll make no bones about the fact that I was primarily a 360 gamer this (last?) gen. It was the first machine I got, I preferred the controller and nearly everything about the UI was just better. The 360's interface was clearly conceived as a whole before it launched which meant that everything just seemed slicker and more thoroughly integrated with each other. The PS3's interface seemed like a huge backwards step in comparison and, even though they improved it over time, the new features always felt fudged and piecemeal with lots of caveats as to how they worked. Even though it had some great exclusives I never really loved the machine and found certain aspects of it downright infuriating.

Like many others here I was turned off the Bone around E3 and jumped ship to Sony but the problems of the PS3 always lingered in the back of my mind given Sony's poor track record with UI. Thankfully, the UI is mostly pretty great.

It's slick, quick and feels nice and spacious. It seems designed to get out of your way for the most part. Jumping from a game to Netflix and then back again would take an age on both PS3 and 360 but here it's smooth and painless. I watched a few gameplay streams for a bit last night and was impressed at how easy and quick it was to watch them. It quickly becomes obvious how ill-suited the 360 and PS3 were at dealing with multi-tasking or switching between games, apps and XMB/the guide.

A few things I wish were improved though - I still miss contextual notifications. If a trophy pops up, I want to press the PS button and immediately see what it was for, not bring up the UI, navigate to the trophy section, wait for the sync (only a few seconds, but still) and then scroll through the list trying to find the one I just got. At the very least the trophies should be arranged in order of the ones you got most recently, not stuck in a predetermined order. I'm really not much of a trophy whore or anything but it's still just a bit too much of a faff to find out what you just did. Similarly, if a notification pops up, I want to be able to go to it immediately. It's a little thing but it would make things feel even smoother and more instant.

I'm also surprised that Sony didn't copy the way you could set game defaults on 360. Being able to just set your profile to always default to inverted camera controls for every game was a really nice feature that meant the gamer could just forget about it entirely. Not a huge issue but it's another example of how they could get the interface to be even more user-focused.

Regardless, the UI is much better than I expected and I'm sure it'll only get better over time.

The controller is lovely. I didn't hate the dualshock 3 but I thought the 360 pad was clearly superior. The dualshock 4, after admittedly limited use, feels at least just as good and potentially even better. The weight and size feel just right, and the trigger and sticks are huge steps up from the 3. I haven't played a game which uses the touchpad yet but it all just feels really well conceived and designed.

I have Resogun, Contrast and Killzone, of which I've only currently touched Resogun, which is great. I'm still not entirely sure I understand how to free the humans consistently (I think you need to kill the enemies following a green line but I can't always find them). Impressions of Killzone don't seem great but I'm sure it'll provide a bit of eye candy for now. The games do, admittedly, seem like the weak link for now but it's to be expected at launch I guess.

At the age of 28 this is the first home console launch I've ever gotten the chance to experience on day 1 and I'm really happy I did. I'm sure I'll get a Bone eventually but I feel like I've made the right choice here. I look at the Bone UI and it seems dark and cluttered, the pad seems a step back, I have no interest in Kinect, it's underpowered and more expensive. I wish I could play Dead Rising 3 and I do feel a bit sad that MS fucked up so badly, but its day will come (probably around Quantum Break for me). It does seem clear to me that Sony have, for now at least, created something which is simply better.

There's still loads of little things I haven't gotten the chance to try out yet but the launch has definitely been a win for me. Welcome back, Sony.

I got charged for my yearly sub to plus yesterday.

I assume this is legit and purely a coincidence that it was on launch day (I can't remember when it was due) but how can I actually check to makes sure they haven't accidentally charged me.

Just tried out the voice commands using the mono headset. They seem to work well - I like how you don't have to say the full name of a game in order to start it (unlike on the Xbone with Kinect, apparently). I just said 'Assassin's Creed IV' and it was fine, I didn't have to add the subtitle.

I've set up a new US account online. Purchased the amazon.com download code for assassins creed 4 and redeemed it. However the option to upgrade to the ps4 version isn't available.

Anyone know why?

(I'm doing all this on the PC, PS4 is a Christmas present)!

My misses is the best. I cancelled my pre order when WatchDogs was delayed because I was really struggling to afford it and it was the game I was getting it for. Cue Thursday night and she tells me I better not try and find a PS3 to buy, I think she means she dosen't want me to spend out on one, turns out my son told her how bummed out I was because I was gonna miss out on the launch, especially after missing the 360 one due to mine being DOA and there being no stock to change it for, so she ordered me one without me knowing and did a few overnight shifts to pay for it as my bday and Xmas pressie.

So if anyone wants to add me for some multiplayer it's blurie and I've got Killzone, FIFA & battlefield (went on a trade athon in Cex).

Sounds like a keeper!

So,I headed back to game to pick up injustice, queued for 20 mins only to be told that the blue discount sticker only applies if you're buying a console.

Of course it doesn't actually say that on the sticker.

No wonder I never buy much from these clowns.

So,I headed back to game to pick up injustice, queued for 20 mins only to be told that the blue discount sticker only applies if you're buying a console.

Of course it doesn't actually say that on the sticker.

No wonder I never buy much from these clowns.

It doesn't seem any different to the previous gen version to me (Not surprisingly) but I traded in my 360 copy and it's nice to have a new GOTY edition.

My own mini crisis has unfolded here today. I was lucky enough to get a PS4 from John Lewis online. However, my CityLink deliver slipped from 8-10 to before 12. At 14:00 my tracking status switched from running late to signed for at 12:07!

Except of course it wasn't & there's no one there until Monday now. Cunts. :(

Am I right in thinking that the PS4 does not support USB memory sticks now?

Just spent ages trying to get the hardware to find my stick to watch a film with no joy.

Tried with three different sticks and nothing, they all work fine on my laptop and my old PS3 [which I dug out to check].

Looks like Im having to find another way to watch my TV/films, If anyone can help:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/275595-media-player-as-ps4-does-not-allow-usb-sticks/

Apologies about the cross posting but thought you guys may know if this was correct, before I started looking for an alternative.

heers

Resogun:

How are you supposed to know where the green blob will go to and free a human, and how are you supposed to know where the 'keepers' are when they are announced? I'm finding the shooting fun but I wish I knew what tactics I should be using to do it properly.

My own mini crisis has unfolded here today. I was lucky enough to get a PS4 from John Lewis online. However, my CityLink deliver slipped from 8-10 to before 12. At 14:00 my tracking status switched from running late to signed for at 12:07!

Except of course it wasn't & there's no one there until Monday now. Cunts. :(

I've had that before. It's often the driver knowing he's going to be late and pretending he delivered it on time and then showing up at your place later.

For me this has been the best new console launch since the PS1. With all the games, streaming and remote play it's been a real sensory overload.

With the DS4, party chat, downloads and updates Sony have improved the areas where PS3 lagged behind the 360, and have potentially taken the lead. This system really does offer incredible potential and you just get the feeling Sony will be up to the job.

I've had that before. It's often the driver knowing he's going to be late and pretending he delivered it on time and then showing up at your place later.

I don't expect I'll see anything today, they finish deliveries at 12 on a Sat. I've written an email to CityLink. I guess Monday at best now. :(