IGNORED

PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

So my mate bought a Xbone and offered to lend it me whilst he's on his hols. Been interesting to compare and contrast the two machines.

The Xbox UI seems a bit messy and I'm not a fan of the large single colour square icons. Too similar to Windows 8 IMO. Kinect works well but I feel like a twat talking to a TV, given time I can see how the voice stuff could really enhance traditional gaming. The tv passthrough seems interesting but not something I'd ever use.

The triggers on the xbox are really nice, I love the rumble on Forza. Generally though the ps4 pad feels better to me. The xbone pad seems smaller than the 360 one, the sticks are looser and the bumpers placement mean you have to reach your fingers round the pad a little to reach them. The ps4 pad seems to fit my hands much better, easily one of the nicest pads I've ever used.

Forza is really nice, as is Dead Rising. Dead rising looks pretty average until you get outside and see the massive zombie hoards. Neither has the wow factor that Killzone does though (even though Killzone is crap).

Anyway, feels like I might the right decision getting a ps4 and the time I've spent with the xbone hasn't convinced me I need one in my life.... Yet........

It's clear from both consoles that the launch games are the typical

Does anyone else find their left thumb getting a bit sweaty and slippery sometimes?

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to play anything for long periods because of this. I'm constantly having to re-set my thumb position as it sloooowly slips forwards as I play. Unlike many people's, the grip coating on mine seems intact, it's just too smooth to offer any sustained purchase.

I've been looking at some thumb grip thingys on eBay to sort it.

How fucking crap is it that for the second generation running people are having to buy third party add-ons to make the Playstation controller work as well as it should straight out of the box? At least they got the triggers right this time I guess.

These are miles better than the DS3 but I'd take a 360 controller over this in a heartbeat.

Was having a think about Remote Play last night and one of the things I am looking forward to the most, is getting the most out of sports games.

On NHL for example, I enjoy the Be A GM mode and like to play it like I used to Championship Manager, where I control the team, but not actually play the games themselves, just let the AI play them out. However, it doesn't really suit playing on the main TV, as my time is limited and I still like to get in some proper games (online, season, Be A Pro, etc).

With remote play I can work through my Be A GM mode, sorting contracts, roster moves, etc via remote play when Lo has the TV or when we are out and about, freeing up my main gaming time to play the actual playing of hockey.

Same with the likes of NBA, FIFA, etc.

I really hope that as we get further into the generation, that developers look at the content in their games and look at ways of using remote play, or even some kind of cross play feature with the Vita (or second screen apps in the case of XBOX ONE) to extend their games properly. I know some have made some efforts, such as Need For Speed rivals and its overwatch thing, but maybe a next gen Gran Turismo, can allow allow you to set up and test your cars for example.

There is certainly a lot of scope there for using the Vita functionality for more than simply being a different screen to play on.

The Share function is brilliant, but utterly fucking useless sometimes. Whenever I have attempted to record something in FIFA of Battlefield, instead of saving the last 15 mins of gameplay as video, it saves the 15 mins from 15 to 20 mins ago, which is utterly fucking useless! I thought it was just EA games, but it's happened with Assassin's Creed now as well.

They need to fix this.

Presumably its a rolling buffer, and has the stuff you want eventually?

Mine's working fine, everything except the store. 38 friends online. It's also doing a download of contrast and blacklight for some reason, updates maybe.

You've played Contrast, right? I haven't yet, but I did read the reviews and the comments about its technical issues. I wonder if the update has sorted some of them, as it sounded like all that was wrong was that it was rushed a bit for release and so hadn't had much optimisation.

Apparently no PS4 game in the next PS+ content. Think my fears about PS+ are coming true - With no huge back catalog to choose from where are they gonna find the decent games to give away every month? And with you having to have PS+ to play online why would they feel the need to tempt you with all the great content?

Bugger.

Apparently no PS4 game in the next PS+ content. Think my fears about PS+ are coming true - With no huge back catalog to choose from where are they gonna find the decent games to give away every month? And with you having to have PS+ to play online why would they feel the need to tempt you with all the great content?

Bugger.

Whoa there, soldier. Your fears about PS+ 'are coming true'? Based on one month where there is not yet any extra content they could give PS4 owners? Check back in a year - if it's still the same, you may have a point.

Bugger.

I guess time will tell, it was always going to be a long shot for a PS4 game to be on PS+ the month after release.

It continues after 12 months when they've got a bit of a catalogue then its time to voice the disappointment.

Distressingly regularly when I used to use Lovefilm on my PS3 (Lovefilm were actually more proactive in alerting their customers to PSN maintenance than Sony as well).

Used to be able to kind of shrug it off and say to yourself 'Well, it's a free service'. But I think they need to pull their socks up now they're charging for the PSN.

Definitely agree with this. When PSN was free they got a lot of leeway with regards service disruption, but if they're taking a monthly fee for PSN, then they're far more obligated to ensure that service is always available to their users.

Bugger.

Where has this been said?

Definitely agree with this. When PSN was free they got a lot of leeway with regards service disruption, but if they're taking a monthly fee for PSN, then they're far more obligated to ensure that service is always available to their users.

With scheduled maintenance as long as I get a fair warning I'm not too fussed. Be nice if it was late night-early morning though I guess.

You've played Contrast, right? I haven't yet, but I did read the reviews and the comments about its technical issues. I wonder if the update has sorted some of them, as it sounded like all that was wrong was that it was rushed a bit for release and so hadn't had much optimisation.

The only issue I had was that the framerate dropped a lot when you looked out across a large area. It wasn't really an issue. I played for about an hour and enjoyed it muchly. Rough around the edges but very unique :)

Where has this been said?

d7lFD7Z.png

Ok, that is December in the US, we already have December's PS+ content in the UK, which included Resogun and Contrast.

There may not be anything new in January, but that comment doesn't mean anything for us. Even if the first month is a '2 month job' it may be a business strategy for those who still can't get a PS4 yet, making sure they still have access to those games when they jump on board.

Don't forget DriveClub was going to be part of this and probably a year long effort, but that had to change due to the delay.

I wouldn't worry :)

Well of course it's just an assumption but I think it's safe to say the content on PS+ for PS4 isn't going to come close to what we were getting used to on PS3.

No big deal. As long as we still get some then I'm happy with that. To be honest all the PS+ games I had either already played or weren't that great. They were pretty much all definitely in that "good but not great" category.

I think you're missing the point - What I'm saying is that on PS3 there was a reason to put loads of good games on PS+ as they wanted to tempt people to buy into it. With PS4 you have to buy into it if you want to play online. So there's less of a need to tempt people into it with free games.

I might be wrong and things might carry on as they have but it wouldn't make much sense for Sony to give away loads of games for no reason.

I think you're missing the point - What I'm saying is that on PS3 there was a reason to put loads of good games on PS+ as they wanted to tempt people to buy into it. With PS4 you have to buy into it if you want to play online. So there's less of a need to tempt people into it with free games.

I might be wrong and things might carry on as they have but it wouldn't make much sense for Sony to give away loads of games for no reason.

What apart from tempting people over from the competition?

They will continue to put stuff on the service (more choice when the library grows too), as now Microsoft are starting to do the same thing, it will be needed to keep people on the service. If Microsoft start to offer better games, then people will quickly jump ship.

So far you have had, the best launch game on the system (Resogun) and a title that otherwise wouldn't likely do good numbers (Contrast) with the promise of two of the best Indie Darlings out there (Binding Of Isaac, Don't Starve)

It's all good.

Aren't outlast, don't starve, Driveclub ps+ and another one already marked for the PS+ subscribers in the next few months?

Surely it's more likely one of the indie games has been slightly delayed meaning there's nothing they have a PS+ arrangement in place for for the Jan window?