PlayStation 4 Console Thread

mushashi

My one is a noisy machine; Killzone, Battlefield, Knack... all when played sound like a Harrier taking off. I think I'm right in thinking that Sony won't swap it out since there isn't anything "wrong" with it?!

In someways, wish Sony had gone the Power Brick route. My XBox One is silent by comparison.

TommyG got his swapped out by Sony because it was too noisy. I'm considering doing the same after xmas ... Not sure if TommyG ever came back to say how the exchange went though.

What are the chances of Last of Us eventually appearing on PS4?

It's £19.99 on the 12 days of xmas sale but I haven't touched my PS3 since I got the PS4. Which is silly I know but I don't think there's much on the PS3 I want to REALLY play so the quicker I relegate it to another room for occasional play the better.

In my experience the fans have been by far the loudest when playing Killzone. Not quite OG 360 loud but not hugely far off either.

Next loudest is Resogun, which starts off pretty quiet but seems to ramp up the longer I play it. It's on a level below Killzone though. AC4 and Contrast are both reasonably quiet but I can still hear the fan on both.

Personally, the fan noise is my only significant issue with the system and I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with ventilation in my room. I'd take an external power brick in a heartbeat if it meant a quieter fan. When I had games installed on my 360 slim I could almost forget the console was always switched on whereas the PS4 always reminds me of its presence when the in-game volume dips.

Thats identical to my experience.

I know that Killzone pushes the system hardest as Digital Foundry shows the power consumption is highest in this game.

Resogun also makes my fan speed up which surprised me a little.

I think it also depends on ambient room temperature and where the system is placed.

I have my PS4 located behind me, away from the tv speakers.

I can hear it quite easily and i think it pretty much falls in line with what i'd expect.(power draw etc)

I guess with mass produced electronics not all systems will be equal but i find myself doubting those who say their system is near silent.

I'm not saying its impossible but i think the "definition" of near silent is what i'm getting at.

If you're saying that when your house is quiet and you turn the volume of on your tv that you can't hear the ps4 (when its under load) then i'd be quite impressed.

It's £19.99 on the 12 days of xmas sale but I haven't touched my PS3 since I got the PS4. Which is silly I know but I don't think there's much on the PS3 I want to REALLY play so the quicker I relegate it to another room for occasional play the better.

I doubt it. For one thing, Last of us is still selling PS3s.

It's been kicking around as a rumour on PS4 for a while but I'm not sure there's anything to it. It could be one of those self perpetuating GAF stories where someone posts something unsubstantiated on GAF which gathers enough momentum to be picked up by the gaming press as a 'rumour' adding more fuel to the fire ...

If Sony are swapping out loud machines, then I'll have a look at that after Christmas, but mine is in an AV unit with a couple holes at the back for ventilation. But it's noticeably louder than the XB1.

Its not surprising that its louder than the Xbone, the gpu is more powerful and the latest rumor (from gaf) is that the cpu is running at 2ghz.

The Jaguar cpu is supposed to draw significantly more power once it goes past 1.6ghz so that could explain it.

Here's the thread, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737629

Bear in mind i haven't kept upto date with this thread so this may have since been disproved. (im at work and can't check)

In saying all that i do prefer the way heat is extracted on the 360slim/Xbone, it just makes more sense to me.

Naughty Dog have said themselves, that The Last of Us will never come to PS4.

I think there exact words were more like "We are not making Last of Us for PS4" which isn't a surprise as so far none of the HD remakes have been done by the original teams.

Ok, so my machine has calmed down somewhat now. For the first couple of hours last night it sounded as loud as a hairdryer, even after the game had fully installed. Having caned Killzone for a few hours this morning it's suddenly much less noisy and it's near silent with Assflag.

I read somewhere that the thermal paste on the mobo needs a few hours of heat to set in, which I dismissed as bollocks, maybe there's some truth in it?

Even so I could still see the fan noise breaking the immersion in the quieter parts of something like Witcher 3 so I may well seek a replacement after the Christmas break.

At first I made the mistake with Blu-ray games that It was fully installed once I could play it. However, although it showed as installed in one part of the PS4 interface (notifications) another part (option button pressed on the installed game tile) showed that it was still installing in the background from Blu-ray, making a lot of noise.

Same goes for downloaded games (but without the drives noises). The notifications will tell it is installed but in fact the game will still be downloading a major part in the background. The first notification is only to inform you that you can start playing (part) of the game.

Sony could make this process a little clearer I think.

Ok, so my machine has calmed down somewhat now. For the first couple of hours last night it sounded as loud as a hairdryer, even after the game had fully installed. Having caned Killzone for a few hours this morning it's suddenly much less noisy and it's near silent with Assflag.

I read somewhere that the thermal paste on the mobo needs a few hours of heat to set in, which I dismissed as bollocks, maybe there's some truth in it?

Even so I could still see the fan noise breaking the immersion in the quieter parts of something like Witcher 3 so I may well seek a replacement after the Christmas break.

Thats true, all cpu's/gpu's have a burn in period as well so thats a factor.

Its also possible that the room you were playing in is warmer in the evening, i know mine is.

So then. I've played around with different positions for the thing, made some rubber feet to give it an inch or so of shelf clearance and it's still too noisy for my liking.

Rang Sony tech support and told them it's louder than my fat X360 and fat PS3 and they agreed it's not right. I have a courier coming on Friday with a new console for what they call a "doorstep swap".

Really top notch customer service. :hat:

So then. I've played around with different positions for the thing, made some rubber feet to give it an inch or so of shelf clearance and it's still too noisy for my liking.

Rang Sony tech support and told them it's louder than my fat X360 and fat PS3 and they agreed it's not right. I have a courier coming on Friday with a new console for what they call a "doorstep swap".

When I rang them they weren't so helpful. I had a dodgy controller and Amazon told me to contact Sony. The lady I spoke to just said it wasn't Sony's problem (maybe true, but crap customer service).

Anyone else have trouble with the Playstation store on ps4? I often have to reset the machine for it to load properly. It just hangs on the blue background and doesn't load.

When I rang them they weren't so helpful. I had a dodgy controller and Amazon told me to contact Sony. The lady I spoke to just said it wasn't Sony's problem (maybe true, but crap customer service).

Anyone else have trouble with the Playstation store on ps4? I often have to reset the machine for it to load properly. It just hangs on the blue background and doesn't load.

I've had issues like that when loading maps in BF4. Not sure if that's a BF4 thing (likely) or a PS4 thing.

Be careful the 'doorstep swap' is a trap you'll be kidnapped by Sony secret agents, that must have been what happened to TommyG ;)

I can get leaderboards to load just fine.

You'll know they're working if you see my new high score of 131m on Zen Pinball.

JUST SAYING.

I downloaded this last night and scored 86 million I think it was.

I'm coming for you murray :twisted:

If I'd asked in June what the chances of The Last of Us being available for half the launch price by Christmas, it turns out the answer would have been 'pretty high'. I don't regret paying full whack at launch in the slightest. If you have a PS3 now, and you have £20 (and the hard drive space) to spare, you owe it to yourself to get this game. Even if it does come to PS4, it's not likely to be as cheap, and it's going to be many months off.

If I'd asked in June what the chances of The Last of Us being available for half the launch price by Christmas, it turns out the answer would have been 'pretty high'. I don't regret paying full whack at launch in the slightest. If you have a PS3 now, and you have £20 (and the hard drive space) to spare, you owe it to yourself to get this game. Even if it does come to PS4, it's not likely to be as cheap, and it's going to be many months off.

Last of Us and GTAV are guaranteed double-dips for me, I hope they both arrive on PS4 asap.

Last of Us and GTAV are guaranteed double-dips for me, I hope they both arrive on PS4 asap.

I'm the same. GTAV is pretty guaranteed I'd have thought. Last of Us is one of those that would make a lot of sense to tart up and put out on the PS4 but who knows.

Playing a bit of Killzone multiplayer with Music Unlimited playing in the background is just excellent.

I love how music unlimited integrates. However it bombs out every 6-10 songs and can't be gotten back into for ages for me. Searching around shows a lot of similar problems.

I don't get it as it's not a new service. I would probably sub if they fixed this.

By some kind of Christmas Eve Miracle, an Argos within driving distance suddenly had the Killzone Pack in stock....and now it is wrapped and sitting under the Christmas Tree. As well as Killzone I have PS+ so Resogun and the other free one (Contrast was it) are coming my way. As this was something of a last minute thing (mainly caused by following this thread for some time) it's all very exciting. Anything I need to know about set-up times (is it painful) and anything else on the store worth having. As I have such a backlog of games I think I will wait a few months before getting any other full price games but certainly interested in any PSN titles that anyone can recommend! Happy Days :) Ho Ho Ho-ver and out.