IGNORED

The Americans - FX Cold War Drama

Halo

xqrk7mu.jpg

The Americans is a period drama about the marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC. The arranged marriage of Soviet spies Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings, who have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity, is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War under President Ronald Reagan, and Phillip’s growing sense of affinity for the American way of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gth9kl2Q4I0

This new series is a period drama about the marriage of KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC. Set during the Reagan presidency, the show follows Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Russell), two spies who are in an arranged marriage. The couple have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity. Phillip and Elizabeth must balance their relationship, along with the network of spies and informants that are under their control. Emmerich will play an FBI agent -- and new neighbor -- who works in counter intelligence. The first season will be 13 episodes.

This starts tomorrow in the US and is getting some glowing reviews across the pond. Here's a link to Alan Sepinwall's review (some mild spoilers):

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-fxs-the-americans-brings-the-cold-war-back-to-life

It’s been more than a decade since FX started making original dramas. Some have been great (“The Shield”), some have been brilliant but flawed (“Rescue Me”) and some simply not to my taste (“American Horror Story”), but all have been interesting in one way or another. Based on the admittedly small sample size of two episodes, “The Americans” feels like it could very comfortably slot in with the upper tier of FX dramas. That’s about as good as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry if this is elsewhere but i couldn't find a thread on it.

Is anyone else watching this program? Its on tonight at 10pm (UK time) on ITV. Liking it so far, I think it will turn out to be a good series.

It's an OK show, but the setup basically makes no sense. The point of having ultra-deep cover agents is to manoeuvre them into positions of authority - so that you end up with agents actually working for the CIA or something. But these guys haven't even tried that, and run a travel agency for no reason. And obviously, considering that deep cover agents represent a huge investment of time and money, you absolutely wouldn't have them doing minor jobs that could be accomplished by any normal spy.

• 11 months later...

Other half and I just finished season 1 of this. The tension and intrigue built up nicely over the season and we became pretty hooked. Would recommend to anyone not already familiar with it. Now for season 2.

It's an OK show, but the setup basically makes no sense. The point of having ultra-deep cover agents is to manoeuvre them into positions of authority - so that you end up with agents actually working for the CIA or something. But these guys haven't even tried that, and run a travel agency for no reason. And obviously, considering that deep cover agents represent a huge investment of time and money, you absolutely wouldn't have them doing minor jobs that could be accomplished by any normal spy.

Most of that sleeper ring in the US caught a few years ago had perfectly normal jobs, although that was more through incompetence than actual planning it seems.

There was a lot of pretty graphic violence/killing, and a hell of a lot of sex as well. But all of it worked within the context of the show. We found it to be very tense, really well made. Not sure when (if??) we get S2 over here, but the first one is certainly worth a watch.

There was a lot of pretty graphic violence/killing, and a hell of a lot of sex as well. But all of it worked within the context of the show. We found it to be very tense, really well made. Not sure when (if??) we get S2 over here, but the first one is certainly worth a watch.

S2 started on ITV in March, so it's probably just finished transmitting.

• 7 months later...

Guess nobody much else is watching this, but this week's was amazing. Probably my favourite thing out there at the moment. First two series were fantastic, and this one has started just as well.

Yes it's great. Goes about its business quietly without feeling the need to show off with fast cars and explosions. The every day threat of capture provides all the tension needed and is all the more believable and enjoyable for it. I love the sheer toughness of the main characters also.

• 3 months later...

Been catching up the third series during a flight today, and despite not having slept for about 35 hours I can't stop watching. Think the shorter seasons help it stay more focussed and I don't think the fact that most of my favourite stuff of the last few years like Justified and Hannibal are similar.

Yes it's great. Goes about its business quietly without feeling the need to show off with fast cars and explosions. The every day threat of capture provides all the tension needed and is all the more believable and enjoyable for it. I love the sheer toughness of the main characters also.

The end of episode 6 I think was great for this, the one soundtracked by Fleetwood Mac. I think the fact they don't go all shooty all the time makes it much more effective when they do.

• 2 months later...

So, for the few of us that like The Americans, season 3 will be shown here on 19 August (this Wednesday) at 10.00pm on ITV Encore. Kind of excited as I love this show. It doesn't get the recognition it deserves. :( I was hoping Sky Atlantic would pick it up as they would be able to give this show a little more exposure in the UK and it's the right fit for that channel.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody watched the finale yet? No spoilers, but that scene was amazing. I had no idea how it was going to play out. 

Such a great, underrated show. The last season has been fantastic.