rllmuk
Halo

The Americans - FX Cold War Drama

You lot really dropped the ball on this one, with only a one page topic. I’m binge watching the whole thing now and it’s amazing. At first we weren’t sure how utterly ruthless KGB operatives could ever be portrayed sympathetically, but Philip Jennings must be the nicest murderer of innocents on television.

• Upvote 2

Currently halfway through season five on Amazon Prime and.. where are the other thirty pages of this thread?

if it had been Sky Atlantic rather than ITV what? then...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it’s my favourite series of the last few years. Final season is amazing.

On 15/05/2020 at 17:32, Sirloin said:

Yeah, it’s my favourite series of the last few years. Final season is amazing.

Finished the last three episodes today. Don’t think I’ve watched a final episode while feeling so tense: unlike the likes of Game of Thrones (or the wire, Westwood, sopranos, person of interest), I could honestly see it playing out in any one of ten thematically appropriate ways until the final few seconds.

Must watch.

• Upvote 1

We stopped watching it after about season 3, for no particular reason really. Really enjoyed it, and will pick it up again thanks to the recommendations above. I was downloading it back in the day, and didn't know it is now on Prime.

Tonights viewing sorted (just finished Money Heist last night).

• Upvote 1

I picked up the entire series cheap last week having previously watched season 1 years ago. Watched the pilot again yesterday and had forgotten about the closing shot in the garage, holy shit , that's how to do tension.

Looking forward to  working my way through it.

Picked it up again last night, and watched two episodes. Great viewing.

We had actually seen four seasons, so are now on season five. A few things that i have forgotten about:

What happened to Sandra, Stan's wife? Did she die?

The second family Phillip and Elizabeth have with Tuan, how did he enter the show as i have no memory of that? Presume he is a Soviet Spy too?

What happened to Nina?

William, the bio chemist, he was Soviet too? How did he die?

Thanks. Really shouldn't have left such a big gap between seasons!

5 hours ago, Pavey said:

Picked it up again last night, and watched two episodes. Great viewing.

We had actually seen four seasons, so are now on season five. A few things that i have forgotten about:

Hide contents

What happened to Sandra, Stan's wife? Did she die?

The second family Phillip and Elizabeth have with Tuan, how did he enter the show as i have no memory of that? Presume he is a Soviet Spy too?

What happened to Nina?

William, the bio chemist, he was Soviet too? How did he die?

Thanks. Really shouldn't have left such a big gap between seasons!

Stan and his wife divorced, she has a new fella I believe.

Yes Tuan is a young Soviet spy like they were, I think they're training him.

Nina - executed I'm afraid, Stan and the Russian guy with the high level father both tried to save her but failed.

Pretty sure William dies though not sure if you see it, I think he just gets himself infected with the deadly virus thing, and I think he was just an American who liked the Soviets.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

William is an American, he infects himself with the virus when he’s about to get captured just before handing off the sample to Phillip IIRC. He then dies pretty horribly, and gets buried on the grounds of the base.

• Upvote 1

In sirloin’s post the fourth word is wrong. He’s a sleeper like Phil and Elizabeth. Many references to how long he’s been over in the states.

I think that’s vague enough to avoid counting as a spoiler if you’ve not read sirloins post.

• Upvote 1

I’m coming towards the end of S2 of this. Basic question, how did Philip/Clark meet Martha originally? I can’t remember, and googling it is a minefield of spoilers. 

Doesn't he pretend to be from another intelligence agency and that he's doing a security test of the FBI office where Martha is working? And he recruits her to help him test for security vulnerabilities in the office. 

8 hours ago, GwiDan said:

They meet at the FBI office?

Nah. We don’t actually see the original meet. She’s an existing source at the beginning of the first season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, footle said:

Nah. We don’t actually see the original meet. She’s an existing source at the beginning of the first season.

Ah thank you, I thought I’d missed or forgotten an episode.