IGNORED

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe Thursday BBC2 10pm

Avuncular

I essentially regard Limmy as being a weird guy who makes weird videos. I was watching a lot of his online experiments as far back as 2003 I'm sure, and found them disconcerting, strange, unsettling, and often darkly funny. Like some Lynchian nightmare through a local Glaswegian prism. I used to think of him more as being like a weird video artist rather than a comedian. Since he was put in a comedy sketch show format for television, he's been put on a pedestal as being a 'Funny Man', there for people's entertainment. I never really thought of his pre-TV work as being anything like that. I thought it was some dark shit that took the viewer to some shady parts of the human psyche. He's not the best observational comedian, but he's a pretty good observationalist in general. He's a weird wee guy and I'll watch pretty much anything he puts out. Interesting dude.

Just taking you to some dark, disturbing places which are simultaneously darkly comedic, i.e. "Imagine seeing your dad off his face on ecstasy," then proceeding to do an impression of it. I love that.

Turned off last week's episode during Stanhope's odious rant (basically, according to him, Britain is violent because we don't have legal handguns for instant retribution, and universal healthcare), have grown tired of the series format anyway. The 'comedy' characters are far more irritating than they are vaguely funny too.

Turned off last week's episode during Stanhope's odious rant (basically, according to him, Britain is violent because we don't have legal handguns for instant retribution, and universal healthcare), have grown tired of the series format anyway. The 'comedy' characters are far more irritating than they are vaguely funny too.

Yeah because Stanhope's tone in that whole section is completely serious.

Love Limmy, thought he was a bit weak this week though. And the new guy was awful but my housemate loved him so I guess if different bits work for different people then it's worth throwing a few contributors in. I think it'd work better over a slightly longer than 6 episode run because then it wouldn't really matter if certain sections weren't for you because there's so much more to come.

Wife and I genuinely had to pause Stanhope's bit because we were laughing so much at his incredulous delivery of the line "don't beat up ambulance drivers". I get that some people might not like his abrasiveness, but his tongue couldn't be more in his cheek without poking through the side of his face.

I think I preferred the Stanhope bits when he wasn’t in front of an audience – it works better when it’s some mad loner in a chair shouting at tarmac. I mean, it still mostly is that, I just don’t think the little audience bits add much.

“Don’t beat up ambulance drivers” was hilarious.

I think I preferred the Stanhope bits when he wasn’t in front of an audience – it works better when it’s some mad loner in a chair shouting at tarmac. I mean, it still mostly is that, I just don’t think the little audience bits add much.

Agreed, I don't think the audience bits add anything to it. Just him ranting interspersed with clips of what he's ranting about worked better.

I agree, especially as it was particularly close to home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8379609.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17798567

lulz

Limmy is one of the few UK comedians on telly doing something original. He also beat me 10 times in a row at street fighter 4 by constantly picking sagat.

I beat played him a bunch of times and he did only ever pick Sagat (who was wildly strong in the first version of Street Fighter 4). I mostly beat him but he did beat me live on his stream once. He was ok at it. He didn't bother getting Super though so he got deleted.

I think Limmy is excellent. When his show hits its mark I think it's up there with The Armando Iannucci Shows.