IGNORED

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe Thursday BBC2 10pm

Avuncular

10 hours ago, Mike S said:

Pretending to be thick is just not funny.. 

Not on its own. But have the idiot character deliver silly malapropisms, with tone of voice, and it's hilarious.

I agree that the Night Manager/Fawlty Towers comparison was one of the best bits.

49 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Not on its own. But have the idiot character deliver silly malapropisms, with tone of voice, and it's hilarious.

I agree that the Night Manager/Fawlty Towers comparison was one of the best bits.

I was referring to Crunk and Shitpeas interludes,  not the general concept of pretending to be stupid.

I guess one mans hilarious is another mans reach for the fast forward as I find them to be painfully unfunny and,  every year,  remain baffled by their inclusion. 

That's the first time I'd seen that clip and it was even more terrifying than I'd expected. I'd seen it floating around the internet for ages and always avoided it. Fucking hell.

Yeah, it felt like a great show which I couldnt laugh at as much as it deserved though. I do like how brian cox is always up for a laugh though.

Shitpeas, and later Cunk, were a parody of the sort of talking heads you got on every other clip show in the late 00's. That parody ceased to be relevant a good five years ago, and they're only really here because they always have been. As some have said Shitpeas works much better, it's the enthusiastic idiot we know who tries to explain the news to you and fails hilariously. Cunk's absurdism is very hit-and-miss; her character feels a lot more Brooker.

As for the sow I think Brooker did a great job with the material. So many big things happened it was probably difficult to fit in all the silly ITV game shows and flash-in-the-pan minor news stories, although he managed to shoehorn Kay Burley in there. 

On Friday, December 30, 2016 at 11:22, Eighthours said:

Cunk is very hit and miss for me. Rest was great as usual.

Copy that. Fine in the little bits, the Bowie piece was hilarious, but the longer segment was not to my liking

I enjoyed the whole program alot, its always fun picking out the stuff in his living room set, scary clown masks etc. Pity there wasnt any of the shit/weird adverts (i cant mind the name. This week in shitverts or something)

Cunk had the best line in the whole show though (on Trump): "There wasn't really evidence of him doing any of this stuff except that recording; and really that was only his word against his."

Genuinely made me laugh stupidly loud.

• 10 months later...