rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Blobcat

Anyone tried Universal Fighting System

It's a very convoluted system but if you can get your head around it, you can have a lot of fun. I had the old Penny Arcade set ages ago, wasn't bad at all, but I feel there are better games systems out there. Yomi, for example.

I enjoyed what little I've played of it, but like many TCGs, learning the rules is a bit of a nightmare. It translates a few fighting game mechanics into card game mechanics incredibly gracefully though - the notion that the longer your combo is, the harder it gets to continue that combo; chip damage; and also the "momentum" mechanic, which is a great idea.

I have some starter decks knocking around if you are interested. I bought a sealed box of them at last year's UK Games Expo, and it turns out there are two copies of each in there - they're from King of Fighters/Samurai Showdown though so if you're after Capcom-related stuff it might not be quite what you're looking for.

We played this a lot at my lgs many years ago, we even played sealed and at nationals and such. It is a fun game but the cards were not tested very well so loads of degenerate combos etc, if youre playing for fun though it can be a laugh :)

I have some starter decks knocking around if you are interested. I bought a sealed box of them at last year's UK Games Expo, and it turns out there are two copies of each in there - they're from King of Fighters/Samurai Showdown though so if you're after Capcom-related stuff it might not be quite what you're looking for.

I have a shit ton of cards you can have to try it out with.

Will be in touch. :) Accidentally started this thread whilst Blobcat was logged in.

It does sound somewhat awkward from some of the reviews I've read online, but I'm still interested in trying it out. I don't plan on playing it as a TCG, but rather just playing with the set character decks.

Tried the demo of this online last night - man it seems complicated. I got the hang of Magic pretty quickly as a kid, and naturally the WoW trading card game was a cinch because they're quite similar on a basic level, but this is totally different. The main thing I don't get is how for each attack you have to perform a check by comparing its difficulty to a number on the next card you draw from your deck; isn't it really annoying to effectively roll a dice every single time you attack in an adversarial game like this? Can you not easily lose by simply getting bad draws 5 turns in a row?

That's where deck construction comes in - ideally you build your deck out of cards that have an easy check to pass, with a high value in the bottom right. You'll rarely want to play cards with a super-low control check but how your deck is constructed depends on how deep you want to go with your combos - each move you play after the first has +1 added to the difficulty so there's a risk-reward mechanic on how "safe" each move you make is.

The further into your combo you get, the more likely you are to drop it (by failing the control check). You should, in theory, be able to start a combo with any Attack card in your deck and succeed 100% of the time. Do you (figuratively) hit-confirm your jump-in with two jabs before a one-frame link followed by SRK, FADC into Ultra, running the risk of dropping but with the potential for huge damage - or do you jump in, c.mp, SRK for a super-safe combo for less damage?

I'm out right now but will take a look at the pre-constructed decks I have knocking around and see if that tallies up. IIRC you could get a 2-3 hit combo out quite easily with those decks but going large wasn't quite so viable, but that's fine when you're just learning!