IGNORED

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Gameplay Trailer post#123

moosegrinder

Having so much fun with this but struggling to actually progress the main story due to getting continually sidetracked.. In order to start the next mission I need to travel to the opposite end of the world map, past christ knows how many undiscovered locations! It's going to take some serious willpower to stick to the task at hand.

Also just have to say the lighting and weather effects are just stunning (PS4).. Here are some crap photos which simply don't do it justice:

null_zps07d811cb.jpg

null_zps8d3e6ee4.jpg

I had a little dip into this last night and was suitably impressed with the main meat of the game. I played the Aveline bonus missions first and they were terrible. Haven't got too far in the proper game yet though, just had the

fight in the bar in Havana with the obviously Welsh bloke who claims to be English then starts a fight. No wonder we have such a bad reputation for hooliganism.

Do you need to have played previous Assassin's Creeds to understand this game, or at least are there a lot of references you wouldn't pick up?

No not really lots of story videos on youtube if you want to catch up on the previous games.

Some of the stuff in this is very Tomb Raider. Thats a good thing.

I'm finding it very Uncharted like in places. For me, that's a great thing.

This is easily my favourite game in the series, I'm a huge fan of the series too (ACIII not included). The pirate setting seems so natural for the assassin gameplay, I'm surprised it took this long to get there.

What's the best way to actually assassinate your target? I always get caught and just butcher them all.

The optional objectives will often nudge you in the right direction, i.e. "air assassinate your target". That's usually the best way, creep around murdering people by whistling from bushes and corners until you can get up high, and then wait for the "assassinate" prompt and hit square. Eventually you'll unlock a stealth ranged weapon which makes things a bit more varied.

One of the best things about this is that they've taken a step back and said "right, these are the mechanics" and cut a load of crap away from the on foot/fighting/climbing stuff. Then with a smaller skill set they've come up with approaches and engaging stealth which don't feel like the simon says approach of AC3. Missions are properly designed around your skills - lots of bushes and corners to assassinate from, or trees and buildings to clamber over to stay out of sight altogether. Most of the missions in AC3 felt lost in translation, as if you didn't speak the same language of the game and you couldn't work out what you were supposed to do. Case in point, that fucking insane mission where you had to free the guys from the stocks.

I've now finished this - or at least, finished the main story - and, yeah. This is easily my favourite of the Assassin's Creed games.

The story builds to a satisfying climax and the Templars are actually at their most likeable ever, helped by some pretty good writing ("Finally, at the end of a blade, I find in you a friend" - I really liked that). It's pretty clear that Ubisoft have realised that needed to move away from the Templars being cartoon villains - AC3 did some with this but didn't go far enough. Kenway's progression from purely self-interested pirate to man of some conscience is handled naturally and believably and the rogue's gallery of pirates is extremely entertaining. All in all I actually felt some sense of loss as both friends and enemies dropped out of the story for various reasons; they're colourful and a lot of fun to have around.

Gameplay-wise things can get a bit repetitive quite quickly but to an extent you make your own fun. Boarding ships is more entertaining if you start varying up how you fight people - disarming the officers and then throwing their knives into the throats of others, for instance, or using one scout as a human shield against the other then killing the remaining one with the musket dropped by the dead guy. In spite of essentially doing the same sorts of things over and over again I always found that there was a thrill to be had in boarding frigates and man o' wars. The repetition is eased, also, by the sheer variety of things to do. If you get bored doing any one thing - like, say, taking ships as prizes - then you can go capture a fort, or explore a shipwreck, or raid a smuggler's den, or hunting buried treasure, or just go to one of the taverns and hang around listening to some excellent renditions of folk songs. There's just shitloads to do, and somehow the collectathon is more compelling here than it's been in any of the previous games (where I largely ignored it). I found that there was a real impetus to turn all those locations gold for 'completed', quite aside from there being more concrete rewards for the collectibles like getting new shanties for your crew to sing.

The rough edges of previous games are largely gone and it's clear that they've taken a lot of feedback on board for this one. Combat has a few of the excesses of previous games removed and is a bit more straightforward (and Kenway's handling of a full brace of pistols is always entertaining). Hell, you can even skip the credits this time around, and there's a mildly-interactive cutscene going on at the start of them even. I actually enjoyed the modern-day bits, too - they're much less intrusive and the hacking minigames are presented well enough that they're not an annoyance (and they're actually varied so you don't just end up doing, say, Pipemania for hours). Some of the stuff you can dig up in the modern day - like market analyses of previous AC characters done by Abstergo - is pretty funny and has a fairly meta tinge to it (much like the animus database entries with Abstergo employees bickering over date-fudging and taking pops at Far Cry 3's island wildlife). The whole package is just a lot more enjoyable than before.

If the rumoured possibility of a pirate game not linked to Assassin's Creed does materialise then I'll be very happy indeed.

I found the collectables made me want to get them all this time round as well, I wonder how much that was due to it being a Pirate game and so collecting all the treasure is a core part of that image? Where as collecting Eagle feathers as a poncy (but awesome!) Italian Assassin was a bit... odd? Then again there isn't such an established frame of reference for that setting?

I found the collectables made me want to get them all this time round as well, I wonder how much that was due to it being a Pirate game and so collecting all the treasure is a core part of that image? Where as collecting Eagle feathers as a poncy (but awesome!) Italian Assassin was a bit... odd? Then again there isn't such an established frame of reference for that setting?

the feathers belonged to Ezios murdered brother Petruccio...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-next-gen-face-off

However, while AC4 is indeed feature-complete on PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, the highly variable frame-rates genuinely impact gameplay. While the Assassin's Creed series has never really required a crisp controller response, the heavy drops in fluidity simply make it harder to quickly traverse the environment, particularly when chasing down targets. With performance so far behind every other version of the game, it's hard to recommend the Wii U game at all, despite its image quality matching PS3 and Xbox 360.

With the next generation consoles we have the level of stability required to let the gameplay breathe without hardware limitations getting in the way. This is perfectly demonstrated on the PS4 after the release day patch has been installed: 1080p visuals allow the intricate artwork to shine, while the rock solid 30fps update means that control is never disrupted outside of the game's somewhat erratic animation blending system and automated climbing mechanics. The Xbox One version unfortunately has a harder time delivering the same accomplishments, due to the lower 900p resolution and sharpening filter giving the game a much rougher look. The appearance of frame-rate drops in some scenes is also disappointing, considering the 30fps target and sub-native visuals, but on the plus side these issues were a fairly rare occurrence during our capture session, outside of isolated experiences.

Hints on the latest 12 Deals of Christmas blog [from Chris Howe PS Store and Plus Content Manager SCEE] that Assassins Creed: Black Flag [PS3] will be part of the sale later on.

So I assume according to the official page: http://uk.playstation.com/ps4upgrade/ As long at the PS3 version is cheap enough, may well be worth getting this game for the PS4 through this sale [if it happens].

Posted on 9 December, 2013 at 12:15 pm by Mizukage-JP

Is it safe to buy Assassins Creed Black Flag for PS4? I’m worried that the PS3 version will go on sale (which would then let me upgrade to the PS4 version).

Posted on 9 December, 2013 at 1:57 pm by Chris Howe

I’d maybe just hold off for now

Had a go at this, never really liked Assassins creed but so far you don't actually really do well anything, pressing forward does everything automatic like jump and climb, the ship was kind of fun though but it only lasted about 10 seconds

the graphics, they remind me of MGS Peace Walker, a bit washed out, this is on PS3

Had a lovely time exploring some little bit of land with nothing but wild animals and a load of treasure chests for company. Synched a viewpoint, crafted myself some gear, checked behind a few waterfalls for loot, rounded it off with following a treasure map to buried treasure. Most enjoyable.

I like the modern day stuff. It ties up the plot between a set of games with otherwise very varied settings, it explains away many of the idiosyncrasies of the gameplay, since the second game they've been decently written with some amusing characters, it breaks up the game with the very occasional times you have to do anything in them, and the vast majority of it is completely optional.

I like the modern day stuff. It ties up the plot between a set of games with otherwise very varied settings, it explains away many of the idiosyncrasies of the gameplay, since the second game they've been decently written with some amusing characters, it breaks up the game with the very occasional times you have to do anything in them, and the vast majority of it is completely optional.

I really like the RL bits in this, some amusing appearances of characters had me chucking.

Also did anyone find the note about

ctOS? Same universe as Watchdogs :D

I spent a good 3 hours on this last night and still haven't even left Havana. It's so nice that you get to start exploring and doing as you please within about half an hour of starting the game, not like the epic slog of ACIII (and, to a lesser extent, II).

Is there any way of having the game tell you how to get 100% syncronisation before the missions start, instead of when you finish them?

Had a go at this, never really liked Assassins creed but so far you don't actually really do well anything, pressing forward does everything automatic like jump and climb, the ship was kind of fun though but it only lasted about 10 seconds

Boxquote

Anyway yes, the real life bits in this are funny and clever. They even quite literally

defile the dead corpse of Desmond

as part of the story, what's not to like. A lot of the chatter around Abstergo Entertainment is very knowing and amusing, like

the guy phoning his wife to moan about crunch time or the joke about real-life collectibles being given in lieu of salary bonuses, a perfect jab at Ubisoft. It feels like it was made by the naughty kids at the back at the office rather than a massive unfocused list of teams like AC3.

I really like the RL bits in this, some amusing appearances of characters had me chucking.

Also did anyone find the note about

ctOS? Same universe as Watchdogs :D

Not yet, but I did love all the references to other possible settings they are considering for future AC games. It's on the computer

you have to hack in the ofice of the boss once you enter through his window. Keep scrolling down the email conversation.

. It even shows a few concept art pieces of AC in ancient Egypt for example.

I spent a good 3 hours on this last night and still haven't even left Havana. It's so nice that you get to start exploring and doing as you please within about half an hour of starting the game, not like the epic slog of ACIII (and, to a lesser extent, II).

Is there any way of having the game tell you how to get 100% syncronisation before the missions start, instead of when you finish them?

Press start (or options on PS4). Edit: that's during a mission though, not before.